Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Cricket (70 A) Argon/CO2 Conversion

Hi Guys,

Many years ago, I bought this welder new (flux core). It has very low hours, due to dissatisfaction with the flux core. Am now interested in adding Argon/CO2 for improved weld quality, etc...

I have a new bottle, Harbor Freight Regulator, 1/4" hose, .023 ER70S-6 wire, and a MIG cart .

Here is a link to the online manual:CRICKET MANUAL

Apparently, Miller made a conversion kit, but I started "doing it on my own" to try to keep costs down.

I'm wondering if there is anything else I will need in my make-shift conversion kit? Does anyone happen to have photos of a kit installed on a Cricket, including hose routing? Are the Miller kits the same across a number of models?

I already discovered I will need to turn an adapter for the smaller spool. And probably need to get smaller diameter nozzle tips("contact tubes"?).

Seems funny, but there doesn't seem to be any access hole for the hose through the cover of the welder, though there is a hose nipple on the feeder casting. Is this where to directly attach the hose from the regulator?

Thanks for any help you can provide! (I would have posted this on Miller's forum, but they want too much personal info to register.)

All you need is 110V gas solenoid and tube to fit hose barbs on gas solenoid and wire feeder block. A few 1/8" wide nylon wire ties to secure hose along route. Drill small hole and deburr from electrical side to wire feeder inch or more from hose barb were electrode lead is inserted. (Should already be a hole.) Should be a hole on back for gas solenoid. IF not drill the hole and use a chassis punch if D shaped hole is needed. Good chance there is unused wire spade connectors for gas solenoid as shown in wiring diagram.
    Last edited by Roger; 01-02-2012, 07:14 PM. Reason: This welder uses a 110V gas solenoid not 24V

Comment

Thanks Roger!

Where's the best place to order a solenoid from?

I don't think I get this; can you please clarify for me:
      Originally posted by Roger View Post
      Drill small hole and deburr from electrical side to wire feeder inch or more from hose barb were electrode lead is inserted. (Should already be a hole.)
      Here are front and back pics inside the cover:

I think the solenoid would probably just splice into one of the trigger leads, no?

And the hose will need a hole through the back panel so it can attach to the solenoid and then from the solenoid to the barb on the feeder casting. Perhaps the solenoid can be mounted to the back panel, with only the one barb sticking out towards the cylinder, for the cleanest installation with no chafing... Any thoughts?

Thanks again!!!

Comment

Page 40 of the manual Drawing Item 19, is GS1 (Gas Solenoid 1) Part Number 116 996 Valve 115V AC. It is getting 110V AC after contactor supplying power to welding transformer.

Maybe Miller can sell you this gas Solenoid.
        Notice the Squire hole in corner at back of welder for Item 19.

Item 17 is 3 ft of gas hose cut to length to fit from gas solenoid to hose barb on wire feed block.

Welders manual page 25, thru 27 has circuit diagrams for you welder.

To see the electrical components of your welder with welder unplugged from 110V outlet, remove sheet metal below wire feed door or the other side of the welder.
        Last edited by Roger; 01-04-2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

This seems straightforward. Removing the panel below the wire feed door revealed two hanging leads above the square solenoid hole that do appear to be leads for the solenoid.

But I don't see a hose-routing hole between the two chambers so I can connect the solenoid barb to the barb on the wire feed casting...?

I gave my bro the solenoid P/N. He says he knows someone who sells Miller parts. Anxious to hear...

Thanks again!

Comment

Page 40 of the manual Drawing Item 19, is GS1 (Gas Solenoid 1) Part Number 116 996 Valve 115V AC. It is getting 110V AC after contactor supplying power to welding transformer.

Maybe Miller can sell you this gas Solenoid.
            Searching for the solenoid... Found one site where the solenoid (valve) P/N 116 996 is superceded by P/N 218421 for $44.76: GS1 Gas Solenoid

Comment

Should be OK others here have bought parts from that web site without problems.
              Let us know how it welds with shielding gas.

Comment

Route the gas hose so it comes out from electrical side into wire feed compartment along side the trigger wires.

Comment

.023 Wire Stuff

I switched to the smaller .023 wire per the manual (which seems to indicate my 70A model won't handle solid .030...).

So, as I indicated before, I need some smaller contact tubes. Problem is, I can't find a Cross-reference to those that will fit my Cricket... Did Miller change them, or can I order some for a newer model?

And I've come across some .025 wire... Why is there .023 & .025? Which am I better off with & why?

About the only thing I'm worried about is the flow gauge regulator with the solenoid... Will the solenoid/flow gauge handle full tank pressure in some way and be OK?

Any "special" hose required? I would'nt think so, since NPT fittings are not used...

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks Roger...

alc

Comment

Only thing that should see high pressure is inlet of the regulator.

Flow gage regulator's outlet gage reacts to pressure changes like a pressure gage but is calibrated to indicate flow rate through .030 inch orifice down stream in outlet fitting. Flow gage can indicate a flow rate when there is no flow because gas solenoid valve is closed but flow rate can only be set when gas is flowing with solenoid valve open. It is normal for indicated flow rate to increase a little when solenoid valve is closed. Likewise flow gage does not show reduced flow rate due to down stream restrictions but a flow meter indicates actual flow rate.

Standard hose connection between flow gage regulator or flow meter regulator and welder is CGA32 connection. Hose with this connection at both ends is often included with with flow gage regulator and flow meter regulator. Some welder manufactures lower costs by using hose barbs for connections between welder and flow gage regulator.

http://www.westernenterprises.com/en...s/PDFS/wi3.pdf
                    http://www.westernenterprises.com/en...s/PDFS/wi4.pdf
                    http://www.westernenterprises.com/en.../PDFS/wi16.pdf

http://www.westernenterprises.com/en...dcontents.html

Comment

To buy contact tips first place to try is local welding supply. You can take your electrode lead to test fit on MIG gun.

To really know actual wire diameter must measure it with micrometer. Standard Tolerance on the wire and contact tips is such .023 contact tips works for .025 wire.

Comment

Miller4Less Website Problem...

Searching for the solenoid... Found one site where the solenoid (valve) P/N 116 996 is superceded by P/N 218421 for $44.76: GS1 Gas Solenoid
                        Should be OK others here have bought parts from that web site without problems.
                        Could not complete order over website. A sales guy told me I would save about 20 bucks if I clicked Buy it Now, but that button (and discount) didn't appear. Note that my Blackberry won't allow me to do internet stuff while I'm on the phone.

Called back and was told he was already gone by a sales lady, who also told me that $44.76 IS the discount price... Then they dinged me a 10 buck "low order (less than 100 bucks) fee."

I placed the order because they appear to be the only place in the world to get this part.

I'm not thrilled or impressed with Miller4Less.com.

Comment

Working...
                        X