New feeder..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New feeder..

Seems like when I start looking for something, the flood gates open.. I found another good deal on a feeder for my Thermal-arc 400. New-Old/stock Airgas Thermal-arc Ultrafeed 1000.($400.00) It takes the same drive rolls as my 17A Portafeed. (Now my portable unit) Looks like the Thermal is the USA made model from the Hobart division. The newer VA-2000 feeder is from Malaysia I believe? Anyway I have always really liked Hobart/Thermal-arc feeders, for their solid construction,and how they seem to work. This model has a few nicer features over the Portafeed17a I have. Remote voltage/ adjustable run-in/meters are the main ones. I still need a 19 pin to 19 pin control cable, and I have a 15 ft on order.Makes it pretty good reach with a 15ft gun. All my guns work with every one of my different feeders, so that is nice. The Thermal feeders have a real nice selection of drive roll types,and styles,for decent prices.

http://www.thermadyne.com/IM_Uploads...0M/84_2006.pdf

By the way Dan,

I ordered the new style Binzel gun 12ft/60°/180 amp model. They take metric tips threads, and Binzel .035 tips are spendy. Looks like Esab will thread in, and cost way less. You can also buy 10, instead of 25 Binzel sells.

http://www.binzel.de/US/eng/products...rip-15-ak.html
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brand X; 12-18-2011, 04:13 PM.
    Esab 2200 AC/DC
    Thermal 211i
    Thermal Pee-wee 85s
    Smith O/A plus mini torch
    Smith machine torch
    LN-25 pro
    LF-72 feeder
    Edwards 65 ton
    5X10 CNC table
    Victor A-120
    Miller Shopmate 300DX
    S-74D feeder

Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

That is a deal and its beautiful. I almost wish I had a use for the thing but I got machines I don't use now and by all rights should sell. It looks like your stuff is in good condition and suspect to some extent is fixed up,,,, so,,, what would you use the thing for? Cheaper than a Harley for sure. These days I could about get it on 4 pieces, a 210 feeder, a 150 stick inverter, about any plasma that made sparks and a torch set.
    Last edited by Sberry; 12-18-2011, 05:14 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

I did build a trailer project a year ago but I cant recall turning on my 250 class machine since, I probably did, just cant remember it? It does have a nice flat top to sit stuff on.

Comment

Cary,
        It's takes the place of the HH-210 I use to have. It's 55 pounds, and 30lbs of a feeder makes it much easier to carry. Although really the little Thermal 161/Thermal scout will do anything portable I might need at this point.

Since everything was bought at bargain basement prices (Really everything new) It does not hurt me to own any of it. I also really like how they weld. Pretty much can get the weld bead to do what I want. I also can run about any wire very well with this combo. Even HF stuff. I prefer machines that have a lot of adjustments, but is also very easy to setup and use. Both of these Migs do that well. When you need more amps/volts, it really sucks to not have them.

One thing about the two mig machines I own, the Thermal is very quiet with it's multi-speed fan. The Esab is just about the loudest welding machine made, this side of a engine drive. If I want low noise, then I use the Thermal unit. The Migmaster 250 is quiet compared to the 350 MPI.
        Last edited by Brand X; 12-18-2011, 10:19 PM.
        Esab 2200 AC/DC
        Thermal 211i
        Thermal Pee-wee 85s
        Smith machine torch
        LN-25 pro
        LF-72 feeder
        Edwards 65 ton
        5X10 CNC table
        Victor A-120
        Miller Shopmate 300DX
        S-74D feeder

Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
          Cheaper than a Harley for sure.
          Cary,
          I was doing some totaling of funds for the 400 MTS, with the two Thermal feeders,cables etc... All new stuff cost me about $2300.00 (Supports the Miller 30a spool-gun with the WC-24 box which I have) It's over $6300.00 to buy it about anywhere. So for about the cost a 250 amp mig now a days, I have a portable multi-process machine, that will also air-arc.(K-2000 torch are cool units for low air use) 400 amps output on a 60 amp single phase circuit. Welds so much nicer then the 250 amp machines out. I decided I would run the two control cable feeders off of this, so I can just have .045 solid wire in the Portafeed 17a. I have four feeders that work on the Thermal, so it takes a bit to figure out what might be a good combo.
          Attached Files
          Esab 2200 AC/DC
          Thermal 211i
          Thermal Pee-wee 85s
          Smith machine torch
          LN-25 pro
          LF-72 feeder
          Edwards 65 ton
          5X10 CNC table
          Victor A-120
          Miller Shopmate 300DX
          S-74D feeder

Comment

Congrats on the new feeder. Do you wax your welders? If you sell any of them I want first dibs.
            Esab Multimaster 260 Sweet machine!
            Thermal Arc Arc Master, Don't use it much just got a heck of a deal on this unit
            Don't talk about it, be about it.

Comment

Originally posted by FWI View Post
              Congrats on the new feeder. Do you wax your welders? If you sell any of them I want first dibs.

No wax, but I blow them off with air once, and a while. Having a plasma table really does get them dirty. I have fans that help, but a water table/pan in in the future. I would really prefer to move the table to a cargo container, and free up a lot of room for other stuff. I sell them all the time, only because I find great deals out here in the PNW. Since I had two (this is the second one) 350 mpi, that one is staying now. The Thermal is also does what the Esab cannot vice- versa, so no plans to sell this group. Funny, the Powerwave C-300 did not make the cut.. Friend bought that, and really likes it with a 50 ft. push-pull.

Really, Dan is the one that needs to sell. I believe 5-6 migs is borderline hording. I at least sell one now and again..
              Although I seem to be collecting feeders at the moment.
              Esab 2200 AC/DC
              Thermal 211i
              Thermal Pee-wee 85s
              Smith machine torch
              LN-25 pro
              LF-72 feeder
              Edwards 65 ton
              5X10 CNC table
              Victor A-120
              Miller Shopmate 300DX
              S-74D feeder

Comment

Originally posted by Brand X View Post

Really, Dan is the one that needs to sell. I believe 5-6 migs is borderline hording. I at least sell one now and again..
                Although I seem to be collecting feeders at the moment.
                Thats funny, I was out in the garage a couple nights ago, and my Father-in-law came in and started asking me questions about the "yellow welder", the Ironman 230, Handler 210 MVP, Handler 140, and Handler 125 EZ . When he got around to the Millermatic 210, his first words were I thought you were going to sell the Miller? Luckily the PowerMIG 180C was sitting on the floor in my bedroom closet. He knows the reason why I won't part with the Ironman 230, so then he brings up the questioning of the differences between the Ironman 230 and Migmaster 250. I think he has some agenda about trying to get me to sell the yellow unit too.

If I do get around to selling the MM 210 and PM 180C here in the near future (I want to get my garage set up correctly first) my Wife and Father-in-law don't realize that I'd be tempted to put money towards purchasing a Thermal Arc 181i.

For shop use, I like the idea of your portable feeder set up over running a long gun lead.
                MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Yes,,, I know you got a deal, I only look occasionally and don't actually spend much time in front of the puter, I kind of fly thru and peck at a couple forums. I should figure out a way to keep eye out for deals but I really don't need any more machines, have several I rarely use as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Thats funny, I was out in the garage a couple nights ago, and my Father-in-law came in and started asking me questions about the "yellow welder"

For shop use, I like the idea of your portable feeder set up over running a long gun lead.

I believe you need to ask him about his 5th wheel. I am guessing you are his Landlord of some type? Space rent increase???

I ordered the Binzel MB1 15AK 12ft.gun in a 60° neck, and found out later, it's only available in a 50° neck. (MB 24KD you can get the 60°) Bummer, but went ahead, and ordered it anyway. I believe the Alpha 1 is still around poking around on the site. I did not confirm it though.

I do like the feel of the Thermal 181i 12ft gun. You just need the welding machine to match. If it welds anything like my Thermal inverter, you will not miss the other machines at all. I would love to have a Esab 200i, since I have a Thermal 161 stick machine to go with it. I went ahead and hooked up the LN-25 pro to the Thermal-arc scout 170, using some .035 self-shielded flux core wire. It is a excellent portable outdoor mig in that combo. Really I really have about zero use for anything else right now. I just need a skid to combine everything in one place. The Thermal on CC has excellent arc starts, so any outdoor fence type jobs,it works perfect. I wonder how will a Cutmaster 42 would run off of that small engine drive?
                    The generator side of that scout has really impressed me, along with it's welding arc. It's really the best $500.00 Craigslist score I have found. 17 hours too.
                    Esab 2200 AC/DC
                    Thermal 211i
                    Thermal Pee-wee 85s
                    Smith machine torch
                    LN-25 pro
                    LF-72 feeder
                    Edwards 65 ton
                    5X10 CNC table
                    Victor A-120
                    Miller Shopmate 300DX
                    S-74D feeder

Comment

What I like about those little drives is that they are just so economical and not a gob more than most need which is a waste, There are guys need a 4300$ TB but that little pup would do the work I really needed to do and they are so easy to move that a guy might not have to carry it until he needed the thing. I could do without the feeder for portable even.

Comment

Originally posted by Brand X View Post
                        I believe you need to ask him about his 5th wheel. I am guessing you are his Landlord of some type? Space rent increase???

I ordered the Binzel MB1 15AK 12ft.gun in a 60° neck, and found out later, it's only available in a 50° neck. (MB 24KD you can get the 60°) Bummer, but went ahead, and ordered it anyway. I believe the Alpha 1 is still around poking around on the site. I did not confirm it though.

I do like the feel of the Thermal 181i 12ft gun. You just need the welding machine to match. If it welds anything like my Thermal inverter, you will not miss the other machines at all. I would love to have a Esab 200i, since I have a Thermal 161 stick machine to go with it. I went ahead and hooked up the LN-25 pro to the Thermal-arc scout 170, using some .035 self-shielded flux core wire. It is a excellent portable outdoor mig in that combo. Really I really have about zero use for anything else right now. I just need a skid to combine everything in one place. The Thermal on CC has excellent arc starts, so any outdoor fence type jobs,it works perfect. I wonder how will a Cutmaster 42 would run off of that small engine drive?
                        The generator side of that scout has really impressed me, along with it's welding arc. It's really the best $500.00 Craigslist score I have found. 17 hours too.
                        My Father-in-law lives with us rent free. My Wife and I would never charge either of our Father's to live with us. He did contribute $1500 to the the down payment. Also yesterday he purchased a Kubota B2320 tractor with front end loader (wife's Christmas present) for using around the property. They're delivering it next week. Last month we made the final payment on our F350, so we were going to start looking for a subcompact tractor. My Father-in-law told my Wife that he had been planning for the last year to purchase the tractor for us once he made the last payment on his pick up, so he asked her to allow him to still do this.

With as long of a production run as it had, the Migmaster 250 has most definitely proven that it is a very reliable/ durable unit that you can depend on for quite a few years. Due to this I have no intention of parting with it. Besides as good of a unit as the Migmaster 250 and Ironman 230 are on 3/16" or 1/4" in short circuit transfer mode with C25 or Spray mode with 98/2 or C10. For my real needs, a more expensive unit would probably be wasting money that could be spent on more important items like a rototiller for the tractor.

The portable unit that I like to have for around my place would a Trek 180. If I end up needing to stick weld anything down around the barn, for now, the barn area is close enough to the house that I could realistically run a long extension cord from my garage to supply power to my Maxstar 150 STH. Since our heat in the house is 100% electrical, my Wife eventual wants to purchase a large enough generator for back up power.

I haven't seen one in person yet, but I am not liking the looks of the gun or the wire drive on the compact 160 and 200 ESAB units.

You've got me hooked on the Alpha guns, so after the first of the year, I'll have to stop in at Airgas and see if they can still get me an Alpha 2. Since I accidently broke one of my Alpha 1 swan necks (tripped and fell with the gun in my hand) I need to order a replacement. I also need to purchase .035 contact tips for the Alpha 3 swan neck you sent me.
                        Last edited by Dan; 12-22-2011, 07:26 PM.
                        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

I believe The Esab 200 has the Binzel gun on it. It just has the funky connection. If the wire drive feeds well, then I have no issue with the Esab drive,being it's running a 10 ft. and all.

I have electric too, central heating. Meaning two 50 amp 230 breakers go to it. Bet a 25 kilo genny would run it fine. Since I am am surrounded by Juniper,(Burns hot and long) I just use my wood stove. I also have Pellet stove in town that I could install pretty quick. Propane back up if needed.

I have always wanted one of these units, but the need is pretty low.. Pretty modern electric out here, and almost all from Bonneville dam. Reason Facebook, and even Apple has interest in this place..

This PTO genny would work well on my TC-30

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/grd/2764251376.html
                          Esab 2200 AC/DC
                          Thermal 211i
                          Thermal Pee-wee 85s
                          Smith machine torch
                          LN-25 pro
                          LF-72 feeder
                          Edwards 65 ton
                          5X10 CNC table
                          Victor A-120
                          Miller Shopmate 300DX
                          S-74D feeder

Comment

Working...
                          X