Different wirefeed problem (HH210)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different wirefeed problem (HH210)

Some time back I purchased a Handler 210 at a decent price. It took me a while to round up a tank, but I'm going now and working out a couple of bugs. First project... welder cart and sadly enough about 95% of the project was finished before i solved the first bug. It was leaking gas inside the handle of the gun. This made for a frustrating time. Now for the second bug, with the voltage selector set at position 4, wire will not feed. All other positions 1-7 work fine. I checked inside to see if the wire connection for that position had come loose, but it was good. I'm told I may need a new switch (around 50$). Could this switch be repairable? Does anyone have experience with this type problem? Any insight would be appreciated.

P.S. I have attached pics of the cart if you like orange!
    Attached Files

Call the toll-free technical support phone number.

The tech support guys will get you up and running quickly.

Comment

Pretty slick cart. I like the holder for the anti-spatter spray. I'll admit I wimped out and bought a cart. Right after I got the welder I couldn't find any scrap to repurpose, even searched the outer banks of NC after the hurricane. If I'd wanted to salvage a hot tub, pool or deck ... but no carts, lawnmowers or anything with metal and/or wheels. Northern had their cart on sale for $50, so I bought it.
      Blacksmith
      Stickmate LX AC/DC
      Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
      Hand cranked coal forge
      Freon bottle propane forge
      HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
        Pretty slick cart. I like the holder for the anti-spatter spray. I'll admit I wimped out and bought a cart. Right after I got the welder I couldn't find any scrap to repurpose, even searched the outer banks of NC after the hurricane. If I'd wanted to salvage a hot tub, pool or deck ... but no carts, lawnmowers or anything with metal and/or wheels. Northern had their cart on sale for $50, so I bought it.
        Even though I've made a couple, that HF one looked pretty good for the $35.00 sale price when I looked at it, so I would have bought that if I had seen it earlier..
        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Sweet cart man, looks good. With regard to your machine problems I would call Hobart they should be able to talk you through it.
          Esab Multimaster 260 Sweet machine!
          Thermal Arc Arc Master, Don't use it much just got a heck of a deal on this unit
          Don't talk about it, be about it.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Mr. Darrell.I may end up trying that.

Thanks Blacksmith,I saw the can holder idea somewhere on the net.Back in '07 I bought a craftsman tablesaw and it was packaged in a 1" steel tube cage (my hoarder tendancies would'nt let me throw it away) and when I got the welder I decided to hack it up and make a cart. I was lucky enough to have a broken garden hose cart around to get rear wheels and axle, then a couple of swivel casters at less than 7$ each and a few other goodies here and there. Anyway it suits me better than most store carts because I'm a little over 6'4" and I was able to build it to suit my height. I don't blame you on the Northern cart cause you can't beat that price.

Thanks FWI, I may end up calling them to verify that the switch is truly the problem.

Comment

Hello there Hotfoot. If the HF cart was even just decent, you can't beat that price. Even though I used mostly salvaged supplies, by the time I bought two casters and some paint supplies to spray my cart, I probably surpassed the 35$ mark. I can say that it was fun and gave me a chance to use my stuff though. That's always nice.

Comment

Is there voltage at teh gun when you pull the trigger on tap 4? If there is no voltage you might try turning the machine off, then turning the switch back and forth to clean the contacts.
                Walker
                Chief slag chipper & floor sweeper
                Ironwood Artistic

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
                  Is there voltage at teh gun when you pull the trigger on tap 4? If there is no voltage you might try turning the machine off, then turning the switch back and forth to clean the contacts.
                  Thanks Walker for the tip. I had not verified the voltage so I just went down to the basement and tried it and position 4 has no arc as well as no wirefeed. I also worked the switch back and forth some and still dead in that setting. Part of me wants to pull that switch and take that thing apart, but I may call Hobart first.

Comment

You never defined "sometime back," I'd call Hobart first, maybe they can do something for you under warranty. Different components have different lengths of coverage.
                    Blacksmith
                    Stickmate LX AC/DC
                    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
                    Hand cranked coal forge
                    Freon bottle propane forge
                    HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
                      You never defined "sometime back," I'd call Hobart first, maybe they can do something for you under warranty. Different components have different lengths of coverage.
                      Hey there Blacksmith, I agree, I will probably call Hobart first. The problem is that I did not buy it new and I don't know when it was purchased or where. Worst case I have to replace the switch, but at least it does work fine in all the other settings. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Comment

The problem will most likely be the switch but it could be a bad wire crimp from the harness to the transformer as well. Give us a call and we can wlak you through it.

Keith
                        1-800-332-3281

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart Expert Keith View Post
                          The problem will most likely be the switch but it could be a bad wire crimp from the harness to the transformer as well. Give us a call and we can wlak you through it.

Keith
                          1-800-332-3281
                          Thank you H.E. Keith, you were 100% correct. I work about the same hours as Hobart, so I waited until I had a day off so I could be with the welder and I called. The first call basically only yielded the name of two service centers in the Chattanooga area. I decided to call back and ask for Keith, hoping to receive some troubleshooting help. Although Mr. Keith was off work that day, the rep. that I spoke to listened to the situation and proceeded to offer me a new switch under warranty. This, my friend, is as good as customer service can ever get. No hassle, no fuss, he only asked my serial number and a shipping address! This makes me glad that I decided to purchase a Hobart welder.
                          The switch came this week and I could not wait to get down there and put that thing in. I found a little time and got it installed. I am happy to report that my problem is solved to my complete satisfaction! Thanks again to Mr. Keith and to all those who took the time to post.... much appreciated!!
                          The bottom line....HOBART HAS EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X