Hobart 140

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart 140

Why can the hose/regulator that came with the welder not handle C2O? Also,what nozzle does it take for the C20.

C25, etc. is bottled as a gas. CO2 is bottled as a liquid and when drawn off, boils, taking its heat from the bottle and regulator, freezing the regulator.
    Blacksmith
    Stickmate LX AC/DC
    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
    Hand cranked coal forge
    Freon bottle propane forge
    HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

With large 250psi air volume tanks with 1" drain valves I've opened drain valve wide so air was roaring out. Then it would stop for a while then bang as ice plug blocking air flow let air roar out again only to go through this cycle numerous times. IF you do this with a scuba cylinder ice will form on outside and inside of cylinder wall causing at minimum flash rust inside the cylinder or even rust pits which are much worse.

CO2 cylinder when full by weight is about 90% liquid with gas at top to handle liquid expansion without breaking cylinder walls. Cylinder pressure is related to cylinder temperature only until all liquid CO2 has turned to gas. CO2 Temperature Pressure charts are posted on web. When CO2 is drawn from cylinder with liquid inside at high enough rate not just gas flows out of the cylinder but gas with fog of liquid CO2. This fog is called latent heat in AC system because it quickly absorbs heat from anything it touches as it evaporates. Diaphragms used in some regulators and other internal parts can be damaged by this extreme cold. Higher cylinder pressures because of hot weather makes this problem worse. CO2 regulators sometimes have external fins to help withstand higher flow rate without problems or electric heater for even higher flow rates.

Comment

So either buy another hose/connection for CO2 or use mix gas? Is there a big welding difference?

Comment

Most flowmeters will handle CO2, you will probably not be drawing enough to freeze it. You will, however, need an adapter to go from the high pressure seat on your flowmeter to the low-pressure fitting on the CO2 tank.
          *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

There is a reason Hobart flow regulator warranty does not cover use with CO2 and failures have been reported in past on Hobart Weld Talk when using CO2. It is the weldors gamble. Might work without problems or diaphragm might fail. Only use enough flow rate to get good welds if trying this.

Comment

If you want to use CO2, and there's a paintball store nearby, look into the little conversion kit from Hobart. I see it all the time for $99, gives about 35-40 minutes of welding time and works with CO2. Buy a spare paintball tank for another $25 and see how this compares to a new regulator. Like most of us are saying, Hobart is a fair company and they aren't just saying don't use CO2 so they can jack you for another regulator.
              Blacksmith
              Stickmate LX AC/DC
              Hand cranked coal forge
              HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

I played around with CO2 vs C25 on my HH140 and never had a problem with the regulator that came with the unit. You will need the tank to reg. adapter however. My experience was that my machine just didn't weld as nice on straight CO2 as C25. I could get some nice welds on CO2 but only at certain settings. The range in which nice welds could be made was a lot less than when using C25. The only real advantage I found was that a bottle of CO2 lasts a LONG time and the penetration was slightly better but only slightly. I ultimitely went bact to only using C25, just seems better/easier overall for me. Just my experience.

Comment

That is what I was told by wiser experienced members here; C25 is easier to dial in. I was hot to get the paintball kit and use CO2, but listened to their advice and sprang for a bottle of C25. It has worked real well and I have no desire now to try CO2.
                  Blacksmith
                  Stickmate LX AC/DC
                  Hand cranked coal forge
                  HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Working...
                  X