No announcement yet.

Mig Welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got bigger stuff but just don't use it, the Linc AC/DC buzzer still does the stick duty around the shop. The 175 feeder does 95% of the wire feed, I got a 250 class but its used once for every 20 the small machine and the 030 is. Surprised the off/on switch hasn't been replaced, thousands of cycles. Hundreds of hours run idle, probably thousands. Over its life cycle (bought from dealer for 650 25 yrs ago) probably makes equipment cost less than 2 cents a weld for last 2 plus decades, oiled the fan a couple times, replaced the V tap, a liner or 2 and about 50 tips.
    Having said that if I didn't have a feeder the first one I would buy would be the 230 class especially if I had interest in building projects. The machine is so cheap anymore, its got enough poop, will make time and cost difference back over small spools and gas usage, takes half the time a small unit does, build a trailer or 2 the difference in initial cost is returned.
    I bought first feeder too small. On the rare event a guy runs in to really heavy pieces take torch, warm if if needed, run a couple beads/passes over it.
    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

There is a ceiling where things are just not worth the effort and the use down low can lose its focus. Im anintenance, light fab for general farm I make 20 thin welds for every thick one, it makes making that easy take priority over the 30 minutes a year I would gain by being able to do heavy work faster, there is a spread sheet theory here, if a guy is building the new machine pays off, if its home/hobby/auto type work doesnt usually pay to have much beyond a 210 compact where a 120 bottle might suffice. That kind of work the fab time being hi and the welding being minor.
      Same fashion owning a truck, tractor, chain saw for example, a small compact new one is great for a home heating, property maintenance etc. Now a farmer might be able to use a bit bigger one on occasion and the pro logger needs a bigger one and maybe some smaller ones.
      To the original poster, its well worth the effort here to be more descriptive is as simply as that can be said. Farm is so general, I go into some farm shops that are really pityful considering the nature of the equipment. Some where the owner decides which equipment to buy, ha. My personal philosphy is with some infrastructure I can spread more skilled manpower over an even field and lay off the production people. I want one good productive worker where it used to take 2.
      Or,,, transmission problem, Ford garage 3500, even if I sourced a reman there is a grand to be saved, the R&R which was a grand for days work, which if I would have employed my own man even would have slashed another cost to 300, could have been out of this for 1500 or so,,, but since we had to pull trans we got the manual, 85$, look a couple things up on the net, replace a torque converter and a shaft which I bought wholesale and we had maybe 400 in it all, another days work on the trans, so for 2 or 3 full mechanic days we reduce this expense from 3 grand to 400$ including new oil, new filter for 10$ when I order the shaft. We didnt even tear the thing completely down, just fixed the problem, second one we did in last year.
      Being prepared to tackle these jobs, including welding,,, priceless. Made a couple of the needed tools along the way on demand. I would be lost in the farming biz without being able to wire weld at will, flip the switch. I have several other tools as vital but knowing the rate of return over a season in any kind of busy shop a feeder could well pay its way even at credit card interest in most cases. Just eleminates the time/convenience, some cases some skill factor excuses for not welding a broken bracket on. A few minutes to fix something broken or modify simple stuff by rudimentary welding something highly overlooked by lots of business. I would have to look closely at say a small landscape contractor that at least didnt have a 175 mig machine somewhere.
      http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

SBerry, Amen.
        Esab Multimaster 260 Sweet machine!
        Thermal Arc Arc Master, Don't use it much just got a heck of a deal on this unit
        Don't talk about it, be about it.

Comment

The original poster either has a short attention span, or is busy with his sophmore year in high school. Give it a rest.
          --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
          -------------------------

Comment

I don't have an attention prob ... Oh look; a chicken!
            Blacksmith
            Stickmate LX AC/DC
            Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
            Hand cranked coal forge
            Freon bottle propane forge
            HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Working...
            X