Handler 187

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handler 187

Last sunday i was doing a little welding for a while and when i was welding it stopped feeding well i opened the side and the wire broke from the little spring looking thing it was feeding into... no biggy well i pulled it all up and cut the wire and was feeding it back into the gun and it kept breaking in the same place. it did it like 4 times before i got it working again... what is causing it to break right at the point of enterence into the hose deal (spring looking deal)

as you can tell i dont know what the things are calledd... can you help?

The coil tube ( spring looking thing) that the wire feeds into, is the gun liner.

Are you running a self-shielded fluxcore wire?
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

im using .030 Gasless Flux - Cored Wire
      Alloy E71T-11... and my dad has me using shield gas with it too.

Comment

i went to the garage to weld some beads and i had to stop about every 3 beads to fix it.... i changed the die (the thing that rolls to feed the wire) from the grooved side and flipped it to the smooth side. i have no idea if thats the problem or the tention i have is about 3... and a new thing i just saw with my machine is that sometimes it wont feed the wire... idk if it is me or if i got a messed up machine...

Comment

Does the Drive roll turn? If not could be the Gun trigger not working or a bad motor

As Dan mentioned, the liner probably has some junk in it so that just needs to be replaced-
          Ed Conley
          Screaming Broccoli, Inc
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
          TA185
          SO 2020 Bender
          Miller 125c Plasma
          "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

First thing I 'll point out, is that you should not be using shielding gas with a self-shielded fluxcore wire. Using shielding gas with a self-shielded fluxcore wire doesn't help produce a higher quality weld, it actually does the opposite. The flux in a self-shielded wire contains de-oxidizers. When you run a shielding gas with a self-shielded wire, the de-oxidizers in the flux don't get consumed up properly protecting the weld puddle, which inturn can result in a weld that is over alloyed. Over alloying the weld bead could result in the weld bead being brittle.

If you're going to continue to run a self-shielded fluxcore wire the first thing I'd do is purchase a drive roll (the die) that has a knurled (serrated) V groove for fluxcore wire.

If your unit has the the smooth V groove drive roll on it now, you need to be running your .030 wire in the .030/.035 groove and not the .023 groove. How to deteremine which groove is which is covered in your owner manual.

I am suspecting your feeding issue is due to using to much drive roll pressure. Your fluxcore wire is a hollow tube. If you use to much drive roll pressure, it crushes (deforms) the round wire. Since the crushed wire is no longer round it has a difficult time traveling thru the round bore of the contact tip.

If you are having to use a lot of drive roll pressure to feed the wire, you may have the spool hub tension set to tight, or as Ed (Broccoli 1) has pointed out the gun liner may have crud built up inside of it.
            MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
            Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

Thank you Dan! your a big help! and i did look the die is the right size its .030-.035 and i am using .030 wire... ill flip it back around. And i don't see how the liner has junk in it, its practically brand new, but you seem to know what your talking about and i know nothing so im going with your word!

im about to leave for a couple of days and when i get back ill do what you said and ill try and post some pics of it...

oh and what i did notice is that under the liner where it goes from the machine to the gun, there is metal shavings under it. there is not a lot but its quite noticeable.

i am really hoping i did not get the crappy machine on the shelf, cause now i found out they have the handler 190 and its suppose to be improved. -_-

Comment

If you 're damaging the wire by using to much drive roll pressure, debris from the wire could be collecting in the liner. More then likely though the wire is hanging up in the bore of the contact tip.

BTW, you are running an .030 contact tip correct? I have to ask, because I've had a couple experience in the past with our Lincoln Power MIG 180C at work were a couple guys were complaining to me that they were having issues with the unit not feeding wire properly. Both times when I checked the unit out, I discovered they were running an .030 wire through an .025 contact tip.

The Handler 187 is a proven unit. The only difference between it and the Handler 190 is the fact that Hobart added the circuitry to the unit for running a spool gun. Having ran multiple Handler 187 units and never having any trouble with them, I suspect your issue is being cause by operator error.

PM 180C

Comment

Maybe I can get more use out of worn .023 tips?
                  When my wife says I'm cheap, I say thank you.
                  Last edited by Roger; 11-22-2011, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad28400 View Post
                    Thank you Dan! your a big help! and i did look the die is the right size its .030-.035 and i am using .030 wire... ill flip it back around. And i don't see how the liner has junk in it, its practically brand new, but you seem to know what your talking about and i know nothing so im going with your word!

im about to leave for a couple of days and when i get back ill do what you said and ill try and post some pics of it...

oh and what i did notice is that under the liner where it goes from the machine to the gun, there is metal shavings under it. there is not a lot but its quite noticeable.

i am really hoping i did not get the crappy machine on the shelf, cause now i found out they have the handler 190 and its suppose to be improved. -_-
                    Dan is right on the ball. Just blow the liner out with compressed air a few times. And if the wire had broken off and the spool wire got un-wound or tangled up that could be part 2 of your problem.
                    Retired...
                    Master Electrician
                    Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
                    Semi-pro/Hobby Welder
                    Hobart Handler 140
                    MakerGear M2 3D Printer

Comment

Thank yall so much guys! i never thought to think about the contact tip i might be running the wrong wire through the tip, its kinda tight.

Also does that mean my 187 will not use a spool gun?

So just for my clarifications on the drive roller it needs to be on the grooved v side, and i need to clean out the gunliner and check for the right concats tip?

I am so glad hobart told me about this website, if not i would be a lost dog!

Comment

There's one other thing to take a look at. On very rare occasions, I've seen a barb on the end of the gun liner where it was cut. This is the end of the liner that's closest to the feed roll. This barb snags the wire as it enters the liner and causes drag. This is very rare, but occurs in the liner manufacturing process when the cutting die that's used to trim the liner starts to dull.

If you see a barb protruding into the inner diameter of the liner, just snip it off to remove the obstruction.

Again, this is a long shot, but it's worth taking a look at.

Comment

I cut liner to length with side cutters then grind end flat. Better is cut off disc in Dremel tool.

Comment

i think i found out the problem... i don't think at first i put the gun liner close enough to the drive wheels. i took it out and put it back in and made sure i pushed it in all the way and i haven't had a problem with it yet... so it was my fault in the beginning!...

Comment

You'll find out that the lil rolls of wire hangup at the end the 10# rolls work really well till the end good luck
                              Lincoln 225 Tombstone,
                              Hobart 180,150' Argon,
                              A/D Hobart hood
                              22 Ton Husky Log splitter,
                              79 F350 dump eats 4.75 TONS and still turns
                              20 GAL. parts washer,
                              cutters,grinders,
                              And a Hypertherm POWERMAX 30,has joined the family
                              it needed the Ingersoll rand 60 GAL.compressor

Comment

Working...
                              X