125 Handler - New & Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 125 Handler - New & Need Help

First off I'm an old curmudgeon that's decided to become a welder (sort of). I just bought a Hobart 125 (5400495) and have never welded before. I have been playing around for a couple of weeks now in the shop and looking forward to starting a few small projects. I have a couple of questions.

First, if I want to set up for MIG welding, besides a gas cylinder what will I need? I see in the product section a Flow Gauge MIG Reg # 770198 and a Reg Fix Flow # 770717. One looks like it has a hose and the other doesn't appear to have a hose.

Second, if I wanted to operate this welder of a generator, what size would I need? Thanks for any advice you can lend. Emmo

If you get the 770717, you get a fixed flow regulator with a 3.5 foot hose to connect to the unit. The 770198 is an adjustable regulator that will require the purchase of a gas gas hose 183581(5 foot) to go from the regulator to the machine.

Keith

Comment

You need HH125 MIG conversion kit #195158. If you don't have a manual down load one at service support link at top of this page.

http://hobartwelders.com/products/ac.../wire-welding/
      This Link shows HH125 MIG conversion kit at bottom of the page. Looks like it includes most everything needed including shielding gas regulator with gage. Just need tools to install kit and full cylinder of shielding gas.

If you have Handler 125EZ it can't be converted to use shielding gas.
      Last edited by Roger; 08-11-2011, 02:15 PM.

Comment

The stock number 500495 that Emmo has will not require all that comes in the kit 195158(which is for the older stock# 500487) While you can use the regulator, hose, wire and tips, the other parts are not required but would be spares so to speak for the parts already in the 500495 125MIG.

Keith

Comment

Thanks Keith & Roger, a quick seach shows the hose & fixed reg at around $50.00 and the Adjustable Reg plus a 5ft hose at around $100. I'm sure there is a reason for the adjustable regualtor can any one share some thoughts on this? Also, I have an extra Airco Acetylene regulator, would this work for the MIG reg if it had the proper connections? Thanks Emmo

Comment

Fixed flow rate regulator will work most times. I don't know what flow rate is set. My guess is it is set a little high for no wind conditions. Adjustable flow rate lets you lower flow rate to save gas or increase flow rate if there is a little air movement. Excessive flow rate wastes gas and can cause enough turbulence to pull air into shielding gas so you get welds with holes like Swiss Cheese. 25 CFH to 20 CFH is normal flow setting for Argon shielding mixes higher if needed. It is false economy to make poor welds because your trying to save a little gas. Make test welds reducing flow rate until you see problems. Then you know how welds look with air mixed with shielding gas. Increasing flow rate only works to a point then need to block wind from weld area or go to shelf shielding gas.

Acetylene regulator will not work because left hand threads prevents installing CGA 520 inert gas fitting to replace CGA 510 fuel gas fitting. CGA fittings are designed to prevent such a dangerous mistakes of attaching medium pressure regulator on high pressure cylinder or charging fuel cylinder with O2.

Flow gage has high pressure cylinder pressure gage and flow gage that reacts to pressure but indicates flow rate through down stream .035 orifice in the outlet fitting. It also can indicate flow when no gas is flowing.

Flow meter has weight in tapered tube that rises as flow rate increases.

http://www.sisweb.com/referenc/tools/cgafitt.htm

Comment

Acetylene tanks have a threaded male fitting, argon or argon/CO2 tanks have a female fitting. Also, acetylene delivery is measured in pressure, usually psi, shielding gas by volume, either litres per minute or cubic feet per hour. The acetylene setup is not compatible with MIG.

There are flow gauges and flow meters. Flow gauges have two round gauges while flow meters have one round gauge and a tall tapered tube with a ball in the tube that indicates gas delivery rate. For anything you will do the flow gauge is fine, and they are usually a little cheaper.
              CanoeCruiser
              Harris dual-stage O/A
              Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
              Hobart IronMan 210
              Lincoln PowerMig 135
              Miller 3035 spoolgun
              Thermal Arc 185
              Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
              Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
              Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

You can not adapt your Acetylene regulator to fit CGA 580 inert gas fitting on Argon mix shielding gas cylinder because left hand pipe threads on Acetylene regulator and right hand pipe threads on shielding gas regulator prevents inter changing those inlet fittings. CGA fittings are designed to prevent people easily doing stupid things that including charging Acetylene cylinder with O2, installing low pressure or medium pressure inlet regulator onto high pressure cylinder and other dangerous or just undesirable combinations.

There are no CGA fitting adapters you can buy to attach Acetylene regulator to inert gas cylinder.
                Acetylene CGA fittings: Standard connection CGA510; Alternate standard connection CGA300; MC 10CF cyl CGA200; B 40CF cyl CGA520.
                Last edited by Roger; 08-12-2011, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the information. Looks like it's time to start shopping again. Emmo

Comment

Working...
                  X