Handler 210 vs Iron Man 230

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handler 210 vs Iron Man 230

Would anyone with either of these two welders care to comment on why your choose one over the other? I know the technical differences, the question is how significant are the differences in practical use?

Max Amps: 210 vs. 250
    Rated Amps: 150 @ 30% vs. 175 @ 60%
    Number of Taps: 7 vs. 12
    Cabinet: Compact vs. Full size with running gear
    Spool Gun Rating: 150A @ 60% vs. 200A @ 60%
    Spool Gun Cost: ~$60 with Handler 210 value package vs. ~$500 for Iron Man 230

Also, do you have comments on either welder, positive or negative?
    Last edited by BobA; 12-20-2010, 07:17 PM. Reason: Add detail

If you do a fast search on here you can find some posts from a member Dan about both of the units, and he always has excellent posts as well, very informative. Also, there has been a lot of posts on the IM230 lately, just scroll down a little bit.
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln Idealarc 250-250, water cooled tig

Comment

There are lots of diverse posts on 2 similar machines.

I, myself have a HH210 for a number of reasons, probably the most important is size. I wanted a higher powered unit that I could incorporate into an existing roll around cart that already had my plasma unit on it (Air Force 400).

The spoolgun option didn't play any part in the decision, I have TiG available for non ferrous welding.

I was a bit concerned about duty cycle (the IM 230 has a longer weld time duration than the HH210) but I routinely use the HH210 in a production enviroment (.030 wire, 75/25 gas) welding 3/8" to 1/4" thick material and I've had no issues with exceeding the duty cycle or overheating the machine.

I was also concerned about the single drive roll arrangement (versus double rolls for the IM) but that to, has been a non issue. I would suggest (if you plan on running shielded wire (gas) like I do, all the time, get the knurled drive roll.

If space constraints are an issue, the HH210 is a logical choice. The bigger cabinet (of the IM230) and the longer duty cycle are positives as are the double drive rolls and a larger wire spool capacity, but not enough for me to buy one for my shop.

I believe at some point, I'll refit the 210 with a water cooled torch. Other than that, I'm very happy and I have no use for a spoolgun anyway.
      So little time...So many machine tools.........
      www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
      Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
      Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
      Harris OA
      Too many motorcycles.............-
      sigpic

Comment

The IM is a different class machine, take pickup trucks for example, Ranger, F150, 250 and 350. The HH is a 150, the IM a 250. The IM is going to run larger wire better, takes a larger spool of wire. While the HH210 is usable for some heavier work it wouldn't be the ideal machine once heavier materials were the routine.
        http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

The 210 is ideal for home/hobby/auto truck crowd. Light maintenance work. Its priced differently, makes it affordable to have a good machine, a whole step up from the 120V crowd. Light electric service demands. Small footprint, great for custom carts.
          The IM is bigger, going to be able to run 035 solid as much as an operator wants, steady, holds big wire spool, has rack for large gas bottle, requires 50A service, size heavier cord. Good for light fab work, will eat a steady diet of 1/4-3/8.
          I do most of my work anymore with 180 class but if I am building project, say a trailer I reach for heavier machine since I have one.
          http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

I am by no means an experienced welder. I have learned what little I know by "hands on" and reading this forum. I started out a few years ago with a Millermatic 135 and loved it. Used it on farm equipment and light duty trailers. It was stolen so I replaced it with a HH140. Not much of a step up, but I could tell a difference. I debated about an HH187, but it was about $100 more and it was hard to come by. After having it for about 4 months, I started having second thoughts as I was trying to weld heavier stuff and the 140 didn't have enough. I sold it and bought a HH187, thinking it would do anything I needed. Loved it at first but I started building an outdoor wood boiler out of 1/4" plate. Sure, it will weld it, but when you start trying to run multiple pieces 3' long or longer, the 187 starts to tire quickly. A member on here had warned me of it about the time that I started, but never thought I would have that issue. Sure enough, I did. I have been looking at both the HH210 and IM230. After comparing the duty cycles, I found the 210 to be very close to my 187, which wouldn't be much of an improvement. If the economy will give way, I will have a IM 230 in my shop in the Spring.

Trust me, if you are even considering occasional welding of heavier material, choose the larger of the 2 options. My hindsight appears to be 20/20 and my forsight seems to be blind. As someone mentioned earlier about the light duty vs heavy duty truck...you can pull a light boat all day with either, but a day will come when you need to pull a yacht and you wish you had bought a bigger truck. Same with the welder. The 230 can do anything the 210 can, but the 210 can't do all that the 230 can.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
              The IM is a different class machine, take pickup trucks for example, Ranger, F150, 250 and 350. The HH is a 150, the IM a 250. The IM is going to run larger wire better, takes a larger spool of wire. While the HH210 is usable for some heavier work it wouldn't be the ideal machine once heavier materials were the routine.
              ...Besides, if the IM had some cheapo wood grain contact paper on the front, it would pass itself off for a compact fridge.........

Actually, my biggest gripe (if I actually had one) would be spool size on the HH. I can whiz through 10 pounds of 030 pretty quick when I get productive. My second is the torch.

Foot print was big with me. I already have enough toe stubbers sitting in the shop........
              www.flipmeisters.com

Harris OA
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for Replies

I'd like to thank those who have replied to my question. Your replies were very thoughtful and much appreciated. I learned some details about both machines that I hadn't known.

I've decided to go with the HH 210 for the following reasons:

- Space is an issue for me now.
                - I want to learn to weld aluminum and the spool gun currently packaged with the HH 210 gets me this.
                - Finally, my interest at this time is simply to learn how to weld and pursue welding as a hobby. Cost is an issue and the IM 230 is well beyond what a learner/hobbiest needs. The IM 230 with optional spool gun costs about double the HH 210 value package with spool gun.

Still, the IM 230 is a beautiful machine. Perhaps some day I will be able to justify it!

Comment

I believe you'll be quite satisified, I am. The HH210 has good wet out and it's an easy to control machine with just enough extra gonads to make welding interesting.

Get a bottle of 75-25 and give the sample spool of flux core to a friend.
                  www.flipmeisters.com

Harris OA
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X