Handler 140 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handler 140 question

Hey guys...newbie question so bear with me.

When you're welding and in-between welds, do you leave the welder switched on or turn it off? Say you're measuring or cutting and it will be a few minutes before your next weld. I'm guessing you should leave it running so the fan runs, but I'm not sure.

Let it run. Be sure to shut it off before you go in for the night.

Comment

Mh 140

Originally posted by sammm View Post
      Hey guys...newbie question so bear with me.

When you're welding and in-between welds, do you leave the welder switched on or turn it off? Say you're measuring or cutting and it will be a few minutes before your next weld. I'm guessing you should leave it running so the fan runs, but I'm not sure.
      Leave it running to keep things cool.

Comment

leave it running to cool things off

Comment

That depends on some things mainly, the age of the unit and the atmosphere (the amount of dirt and dust in your shop).

Newer units are 'fan on demand' which means the fan only runs if the transformer (or inverter package) is warm enough to trip the thermocouple, so, leaving the unit on while idling (not short circuiting) does nothing. My Mig is fan on demand (as is my Tig) so if I have a smoke, I turn it off.

If the unit is an older, continuous run fan model, running the unit at idle in a dust laden atmosphere sucks unwanted dirt and dust into the inetrnal components. Thats not good either. My plasma is continuous run fan.

I counter that by shutting it off after idling it for a few minutes. No point in gumming up the works with dust.
          So little time...So many machine tools.........
          www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
          Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
          Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
          Harris OA
          Too many motorcycles.............-
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X