Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Canfield View Post
    I was just pulling numbers out of the air

calweld has answered the question (I think) - adjust the wire speed to where it doesn't burn back or push the gun - whoo-hoo!
    yeah I know but don't pull #'s out of the air- doesn't help in understanding what is going on- if that's what you want to do.

Other wise set it to the door chart and start weldin, weldin' weldin' and then mo' weldin'
    Ed Conley
    Screaming Broccoli, Inc
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
    TA185
    SO 2020 Bender
    Miller 125c Plasma
    "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

Write down what settings work best for your wire diameter, metal thickness shielding gas and weld position for each welder. I keep those notes in wire drive compartment.

Comment

Originally posted by calweld View Post
        I think you are starting to get it.

If you are burning the wire off before it gets to the weld, increase ws.

If the wire is hitting the work (pushing the gun back), decrease ws.

Once you get it inbetween these two points, THEN start fine-tuning to get whatever sound you want.

I read this whole thread and this was the only answer to one of the OPs questions. The other question...still unanswered...is penetration. I am a newbie as well and just finished 40 hours of training class last night. My welds are getting very good...but I still don't understand why.

Last week I welded an eighteen inch long T-weld and used four different WS settings then wrote the settings on the vertical piece using the mig gun. 24, 26, 28, and 30. You can see the difference in the bead...what I do not know how to judge is the difference in penetration. I think this is what is concerning the OP, too.

Comment

Yup - agree. Lots of good information offered but calweld answered my question.

As far as penetration, I think a tell-tale is a 'shoulder' or step at the edge of the bead where it is obvious the material being welded has melted/fused with the wire. I could be completely off-base here since I'm a relative beginner as well. In my welding class we figured out how good a weld was with a full size sledge hammer and your weld clamped in a big vice.
          John
          IM 230, Victor OA, Milwaukee 14" chopper

Comment

Thanks Steve!!

Originally posted by Steve W View Post
            The big city of Harper. I am 1982 Harper High School Graduate myself. I still know lots of people there. Worked at the feed store for about 13 years. ( 1985 - 1998). I might be heading over there in a week or so. if you would like I can come over and help you out.
            Steve dropped by yesterday afternoon and spent a good three hours with me and my IM-230. A great big thank-you to Steve for the hands-on instruction and checking out my machine.

He pulled out the liner and inspected it (it was fine), checked/cleaned the drive wheels and showed me a bunch of tips. Now I also have a great idea about wire speed - I can think of it as a fine-tune adjustment to welding voltage. Steve had a clamp-on DC ammeter and we played with wire speed and voltage taps while checking welding current.

Oh, he also brought over some steel scraps for me to play with.

Now I can't blame any crappy welds on the machine!

Steve, you are a real Hill Country gem!
            John
            IM 230, Victor OA, Milwaukee 14" chopper

Comment

Originally posted by John Canfield View Post
              Steve dropped by yesterday afternoon and spent a good three hours with me and my IM-230. A great big thank-you to Steve for the hands-on instruction and checking out my machine.

He pulled out the liner and inspected it (it was fine), checked/cleaned the drive wheels and showed me a bunch of tips. Now I also have a great idea about wire speed - I can think of it as a fine-tune adjustment to welding voltage. Steve had a clamp-on DC ammeter and we played with wire speed and voltage taps while checking welding current.

Oh, he also brought over some steel scraps for me to play with.

Now I can't blame any crappy welds on the machine!

Steve, you are a real Hill Country gem!
              It was my pleasure John. I was very glad to get to meet you and the wife. If you need any more help just let me know. You have the work shop of my dreams. That shop is really awesome. Maybe someday I'll have one like it.
              Take care, Steve
              Steve W

Millermatic 211i
              Hypertherm Powermax 380
              Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC arc welder
              Lincoln AC 225 arc welder
              Victor O/A torch setup
              Gentec O/A torch setup

Comment

Working...
              X