Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob question about setting wire speed

Please help me out of my confusion

Dave at Hobart said to set my wire speed until the arc sounded like angry bees and this afternoon I played with wire speed (now that I have a mostly constant wire feed speed) and sure enough, I tweaked the speed until I had a swarm of bees around me. It was a good sound and I produced what I thought was a very acceptable bead and fillet.

So my question: is there one optimum wire speed where you get angry buzzing bee sound? I was under the impression that you could adjust the wire speed up or down to affect how much heat is going into the material. Should I always aim for the buzzing sound and then adjust voltage for heat/penetration?

I'm having a little trouble understanding the relationship among wire speed, voltage, and how quickly you move the gun. Life would be a little simpler if I adjusted the wire speed for the angry bee sound, adjusted voltage for the material thickness, and then positioned the puddle accordingly.
    John
    IM 230, Victor OA, Milwaukee 14" chopper

I thought it was a bacon frying sound? I just use the chart on my welder and go up or down from there a bit. I also try welding some flat stock 1/4 inch or so in a butt weld configuration. One side. Then I take it over to my vise and with a 2 lb hammer try to bend it over or until it snaps. If you get it bent at a 90 deg angle or so and no breakage, I'd say you have good penetration.
    Retired...
    Master Electrician
    Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
    Semi-pro/Hobby Welder
    Hobart Handler 140
    MakerGear M2 3D Printer

Comment

the object is to gett the bee noise evrytime. u may have to readjust ur wire speed when using difrent voltage/amps

Comment

Hi John. Are you close to Fredericksburg? I have the IM230 and It welds very good using .035 wire off a 10 lb. roll. Actually my 3 sizes of wire i use are .023, .030, .035 on 10 pound rolls. The door chart settings seem to be close to a good starting piont.
        I made a video using our camera so it's not the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO75Rfx_Qp8
        Steve W

Millermatic 211i
        Hypertherm Powermax 380
        Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC arc welder
        Lincoln AC 225 arc welder
        Victor O/A torch setup
        Gentec O/A torch setup

Comment

No, John, you will have to change both voltage and wire speed (amps) to move up or down in heat. The relationship between volts and wire speed will be somewhat similar at each tap. Study your door chart for a little bit, you will see what I mean.
          *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve W View Post
            Hi John. Are you close to Fredericksburg? I have the IM230 and It welds very good using .035 wire off a 10 lb. roll. Actually my 3 sizes of wire i use are .023, .030, .035 on 10 pound rolls. The door chart settings seem to be close to a good starting piont.
            I made a video using our camera so it's not the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO75Rfx_Qp8
            Hi Steve - yes, we're fairly close to Fredericksburg, about seven miles west of Harper, 30 miles west of F'burg. I watched your video a few days ago when I was searching YouTube for welding videos. You had what I call the 'angry bees' sound with your arc. I had to go up to a wire speed of 60 to get that buzz.

Originally posted by calweld View Post
            No, John, you will have to change both voltage and wire speed (amps) to move up or down in heat. The relationship between volts and wire speed will be somewhat similar at each tap. Study your door chart for a little bit, you will see what I mean.
            So wire speed gives you the ability to fine-tune the heat in each voltage position? That's what I think you are saying.
            John

Comment

No, you have to actually change the wirespeed for each different voltage tap. LOOK AT THE DOOR CHART!!!! Not just for the specific numbers, but you will understand better if you see the differences in wire speed per voltage selection.
              *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

[QUOTE=John Canfield;395794]Hi Steve - yes, we're fairly close to Fredericksburg, about seven miles west of Harper, 30 miles west of F'burg. I watched your video a few days ago when I was searching YouTube for welding videos. You had what I call the 'angry bees' sound with your arc. I had to go up to a wire speed of 60 to get that buzz.

The big city of Harper. I am 1982 Harper High School Graduate myself. I still know lots of people there. Worked at the feed store for about 13 years. ( 1985 - 1998). I might be heading over there in a week or so. if you would like I can come over and help you out.
                Steve W

Millermatic 211i
                Hypertherm Powermax 380
                Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC arc welder
                Lincoln AC 225 arc welder
                Victor O/A torch setup
                Gentec O/A torch setup

Comment

Sounds like a plan Steve - that's very kind . PM sent.
                  John

Comment

Most door settings are very general, sometimes not even close to certain brands of wire. Ask your welding supply dealer for a sheet showing the weld parameters for the type (brand) of wire you're using, they'll show upper & lower ranges for both wire speed & voltage, start somewhere in the middle & fine tune your setup from there

Comment

Originally posted by old skool View Post
                      Most door settings are very general, sometimes not even close to certain brands of wire. Ask your welding supply dealer for a sheet showing the weld parameters for the type (brand) of wire you're using, they'll show upper & lower ranges for both wire speed & voltage, start somewhere in the middle & fine tune your setup from there
                      The IM230 does not give a reading for Voltages- he will have to look at the Volt/Amp Curve chart to get an idea of where he may be at in regards to voltage with where he has the Taps set.

Might as well just use the Door Chart and tune the set up from there.
                      Ed Conley
                      Screaming Broccoli, Inc
                      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                      MM252
                      MM211
                      Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
                      TA185
                      SO 2020 Bender
                      Miller 125c Plasma
                      "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

Originally posted by old skool View Post
                        ... start somewhere in the middle & fine tune your setup from there
                        Okay - I think I'm dense and not getting it yet. For each voltage tap (I have 12 as I recall) there is a range of wire speed, a different speed range depending on the tap.

Let's say for tap 7 the door chart has a wire speed range from 45 to 70 (not real numbers) - what determines setting a wire speed of 45 vs. 70 for that voltage tap. Do I adjust the wire speed for tap 7 to a particular buzz, or weld quality/penetration? If the recommended speed is say 50 for tap 7 for 1/4" material, what are the indicators that I need to speed up or slow down the speed?

I apologize that I seem to be a little dense here
                        John

Comment

I think you are starting to get it.

If you are burning the wire off before it gets to the weld, increase ws.

If the wire is hitting the work (pushing the gun back), decrease ws.

Once you get it inbetween these two points, THEN start fine-tuning to get whatever sound you want.

*** Disclaimer ***

Comment

Originally posted by John Canfield View Post
                            Okay - I think I'm dense and not getting it yet. For each voltage tap (I have 12 as I recall) there is a range of wire speed, a different speed range depending on the tap.

Let's say for tap 7 the door chart has a wire speed range from 45 to 70 (not real numbers) - what determines setting a wire speed of 45 vs. 70 for that voltage tap. Do I adjust the wire speed for tap 7 to a particular buzz, or weld quality/penetration? If the recommended speed is say 50 for tap 7 for 1/4" material, what are the indicators that I need to speed up or slow down the speed?

I apologize that I seem to be a little dense here
                            as Old Skool mentioned the Wire has a limit

1/4" Steel C25 gas
                            .023 Tap 7 WS 70
                            .030 Tap 7 WS 60
                            .035 Tap 6 WS 44

You probably have a effective range of +/- 5 % on the WS not 45 through 70
                            Ed Conley
                            Screaming Broccoli, Inc
                            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                            MM252
                            MM211
                            Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
                            TA185
                            SO 2020 Bender
                            Miller 125c Plasma
                            "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                              You probably have a effective range of +/- 5 % on the WS not 45 through 70
                              I was just pulling numbers out of the air

calweld has answered the question (I think) - adjust the wire speed to where it doesn't burn back or push the gun - whoo-hoo!
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X