Hh180 wire feed problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hh180 wire feed problem

Since my last post I have put new drive roller in, as well as a new liner. I still have the se problem, however. running .030 solid wire. drive rollerjust spins...if I tip roller to the .024 groove it feeds fine. I have cleaned both rollers with alcohol. Cranking the tension all the way down still gives me no feed. The upper roller arm does notcapear distorted or bent. The manual is too basic, and does not address this. Ideas?
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Have you tried a different roll of wire? Are you making certain the wire is lined up with the V-groove before lower the pressure roll?
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Are you sure the wire is correctly marked, and really is .030 wire?
      I live in my own little world. That's OK, they understand me here.

Comment

Wirelines up perfect. Spool feeds fine for the .024 groove use, and feels about right tension wise, but I loosened it up a bit. Anyways. I'm no newbie, and have been happily running this machine fo years...lottsa wire pushed through with zero problems.

Please forgive all the typos. My computer just died (when it rains it pours!), so I am doing this on my iPod.
        Last edited by Hotfoot; 11-12-2010, 07:28 AM.
        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Hotfoot - know you're experienced so will have checked the spool tension and the winding on the spool.

If you lift the pressure arm out of the way - how hard is it to pull the wire through by hand?

Have you checked your tip? Try running it without a tip in the gun. I had a "damaged" tip that added just enough drag that it would interfere with proper feeding. A new tip solved the problem.

Other than that - it sounds like the only possibility is a mismatch between the wire size and the groove in the drive wheel.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts, guys! Remember, the wire feeds beautifully using the .024 groove...even if I slack the tension way off (too loose to weld with), so its that darn groove to "pinch" roller interface. No one ever talks about replacing the "other" roller, and Hobart sure doesn't discuss it in the manual. I don't want to continue buying new parts that I don't need, so...Maybe its time to call upon our Hobart Expert. I'll call the tech support line.
            "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
              Thanks for your thoughts, guys! Remember, the wire feeds beautifully using the .024 groove...even if I slack the tension way off (too loose to weld with), so its that darn groove to "pinch" roller interface. No one ever talks about replacing the "other" roller, and Hobart sure doesn't discuss it in the manual. I don't want to continue buying new parts that I don't need, so...Maybe its time to call upon our Hobart Expert. I'll call the tech support line.
              UPDATE:

I called Hobart tech support (no "press 1, press 2..." etc. It rings, they pick it up and you are right there. I described the situation, and step-by step what I have done to this point...which was not yielding any clues UNTIL I mentioned that I had cleaned the grooves carefully with alcohol, both the two grooves on the drive roller, and the one groove on the top roller...he stops me right there to correct me, telling me there is no groove on the top roller. When I assure him there is, he asks about what tension I set the drive at, etc (too tight, obviously),

SOLUTION:

I need new bearing on the top, which should just be an open stock item from a bearing house. I also need to set my tension lower (2.5 - 3.0 ) from now on. This also explains why it is running so well on the .024 groove for the time being.

Were I to need anew bearing and arm assembly (which hopefully I don't) it lists for just a tick over $60.00 (part # 184741...same part used in HH 187, as well)
              "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Good to know hotfoot, thanks, Jeff.
                sigpicJeff's CNC Plasma Cutting

Comment

Would have saved time If you had told us about groove in flat pressure roller.
                  I think that could only happen if your welder came with defective seized pressure roller bearing or your dirty hand contaminated open bearing while changing wire.

Comment

Working...
                  X