IRONMAN 230 (on sale)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRONMAN 230 (on sale)

I recently purchased an IM 230. I have only welded steel from 14 ga-1/4". It does a great job and is easy to use. I am using 0.035 solid wire and C25 gas. Makes a nice bead. This is the first welder that I have owned and am pleased with its performance so far.

Just for you guys info. Northern Tool has the Hobart Ironman 230 with Free Shipping and Handling on sale right now for only $1299.99 This is the best price that I have found anywhere in the past few months. The link is:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_47864_47864

Hope that this was helpful to someone.

I bought one from Northern about 8 months ago. Its great almost no splatter,
    effortless,burns like butter!. paid $14995.00 so that is a good deal. Now I just need the spool gun. Highly recommend the IM230

Comment

If your skill level allows you the ability to deviate from the door chart settings, the Ironman 230 is a very good steel solid wire unit.

For 14 ga. -1/4", I feel the Ironman 230 performs very well with an .030 solid wire when using C-25.

$14,995.00 is quite a bit for an Ironman 230.
      Last edited by Dan; 11-11-2010, 09:01 AM.
      MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
      Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

$14995.00 is quite a bit for an Ironman 230.
        Yea, that's what I paid for a New Esab 260, with a ST-23 spool-gun. How much was your Migmaster 250 again?

The Hobart 230 might be one of the two midsized tapped transformer built in the USA now? I think the Lincoln is still built here too?

Comment

"Yea, that's what I paid for a New Esab 260, with a ST-23 spool-gun. How much was your Migmaster 250 again?"

For that price I think I would have gone for a Vantage 500 w/ ln25 and still had enough left over for a weekend at Bernie's.
          Power Mig 350mp
          Python push/pull
          Passport
          Miller 625 Plasma
          Miller spot welder
          Ellis 1600
          Grizzly 20" drill press

Comment

Originally posted by KGIOR View Post
            "Yea, that's what I paid for a New Esab 260, with a ST-23 spool-gun. How much was your Migmaster 250 again?"

For that price I think I would have gone for a Vantage 500 w/ ln25 and still had enough left over for a weekend at Bernie's.
            I already have a LN-25 pro. $1500.00 is what I meant though.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott V View Post
              Yea, that's what I paid for a New Esab 260, with a ST-23 spool-gun. How much was your Migmaster 250 again?

The Hobart 230 might be one of the two midsized tapped transformer built in the USA now? I think the Lincoln is still built here too?
              I definitely didn't get as good of a deal on my Migmaster 250 as you did that 260. However, considering what most people were paying for a 250 at the time I was very pleased with only having to pay $1505 for my unit, especially considering how good of a performing unit it has turned out to be.

If Hobart had come out with the Ironman 230 back when Miller was offering the MM 210, I don't think the MM 210 would have become as popular of tapped transformer unit as it turned out being. My head to head testing of the Ironman 230 VS my MM 210 didn't last long. It became obvious very quickly that the IM 230 was the better performing unit.

Against my Migmaster 250, across the output range that both units cover, the IM 230 definitely gave the 250 some tough competition. In the end though, I liked the Migmaster 250 a little better.
              MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
              Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

I helped Barbara sell her 250 plus. With a 150 cf bottle, she got $1800.00 out of it.

I am probably going to sell the 260, and just setup the 350 mpi with a feeder. I decided to keep the C-300, so another 300 amp multi-process machine is getting a bit redundant. I could use the space for a smaller type milling machine. The 260 really is a great unit, but how many great units can you own?

I paid $1550 for my first Migmaster 250.
                Last edited by Scott V; 11-12-2010, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott V View Post
                  I helped Barbara sell her 250 plus. With a 150 cf bottle, she got $1800.00 out of it.

I am probably going to sell the 260, and just setup the 350 mpi with a feeder. I decided to keep the C-300, so another 300 amp multi-process machine is getting a bit redundant. I could use the space for a smaller type milling machine. The 260 really is a great unit, but how many great units can you own?

I paid $1550 for my first Migmaster 250.
                  On a ranch/farm it sure seems like the 250 Plus might have been needed occassionally. But then again, if she didn't know how to run the unit, I guess it wouldn't have done her much good to have it around.

For a one man operation, 3 wire units is probably over kill. If I had the same 3 unit you have, the 260 would definitely be the first unit I'd consider parting with.

If everything goes as planned we should be able to move to the Aumsville property around the first of December. Finally being able to set up a 2 car garage into a small shop setting will probably require me to part with a wire machine or two, to eliminate some congestion.

PM 180C

Comment

I thought that place was dead in the water? Anyway, hope you get your own place. Nice to be build for your families future, instead of your landlords.

There is one thing that favors the multimaster 260 over the other machines. I believe long term down the road, it would be the one still standing. Not many circuit boards in it, and the ones in it, are not that bad on price. It uses the same front end as the Multipower 460, so other machines use that board. Big honking transformer is reassuring too. That is the reason I like the 252 so much. Wave shaping is nice to have, but not necessary for a quality ac weld. Similar to the PT-230 you use at work. In fact the 252 probably is a match in input power at 230 amps output. I have only a 60 breaker in the main panel limiting the power to the shop. I will need to pull bigger wire in the spring, to get full output to the tig,and plasma. I have not snapped the breaker yet, but I must be pretty close at times?

You can set a pretty nice shop in a double car garage.

Comment

Working...
                    X