HH180 Wire Not Feeding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH180 Wire Not Feeding

HH180 I bought new about 7 or 8 years ago. Has been as reliable as an anvil...many rolls of wire pushed through it. In an earlier pot I explained that I was now getting no wire feed at the gun, but the drive wheel was spinning just fine. Wire seemed to manually pull through the snake just fine (so I don't suspect liner). Reversing the drive roller from .030 to .024 works fine (with .030 wire).

So...I bought a new Miller Drive roller last week, and just got around to slipping it in today to fix a neighbor kid's bicycle...acted exactly the same as the old roll. I did visually check the arm that the pressure gizmo is attached to (the one that swings down and locks down to press the wire against the roller, and it seems fine,,,wire feeds great on .024 slot, but even with tension turned full-on, no feed on the .030 side (using .030 wire).

Ideas:

1. Worn "companion roller"...the one mounted in the tension arm that pushes the wire to the roller)...

or....

2. Bad liner, even though I don't detect any abnormal drag when I manually pull it out of the snake.

3. keep hoping that Santa brings me new HH187 (Oh, Heck!...make that a HH210, as long as I'm dreaming!)...
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Could be electronic component controlling wire speed isn't supplying enough power under load. Seems something like this caused wire feed problem few months ago on a HH175.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
      HH180 I bought new about 7 or 8 years ago. Has been as reliable as an anvil...many rolls of wire pushed through it. In an earlier pot I explained that I was now getting no wire feed at the gun, but the drive wheel was spinning just fine. Wire seemed to manually pull through the snake just fine (so I don't suspect liner). Reversing the drive roller from .030 to .024 works fine (with .030 wire).

So...I bought a new Miller Drive roller last week, and just got around to slipping it in today to fix a neighbor kid's bicycle...acted exactly the same as the old roll. I did visually check the arm that the pressure gizmo is attached to (the one that swings down and locks down to press the wire against the roller, and it seems fine,,,wire feeds great on .024 slot, but even with tension turned full-on, no feed on the .030 side (using .030 wire).

Ideas:

1. Worn "companion roller"...the one mounted in the tension arm that pushes the wire to the roller)...

or....

2. Bad liner, even though I don't detect any abnormal drag when I manually pull it out of the snake.

3. keep hoping that Santa brings me new HH187 (Oh, Heck!...make that a HH210, as long as I'm dreaming!)...
      Have you ever replaced the liner in the past 7 years? If not for $20 or so you can have a new liner and save a lot of grief. Since the wire is pushed through the liner, it does not take much to make it hang up. BTW when you install the drive wheel the size of the wire groove stamped on the roller should be facing you. Kind of a "duh" thing but it is a little confusing.
      Retired...
      Master Electrician
      Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
      Semi-pro/Hobby Welder
      Hobart Handler 140
      MakerGear M2 3D Printer

Comment

Also, make sure the wire is aligning directly in the groove on the drive roll.
        Hobart Handler 150
        Hobart Handler 187
        Miller Spectrum 250D
        Airco AC Stick Welder
        Harris O/A
        Makita Chopsaw & Grinders
        Jackson NexGen EQC
        Lots of duct tape, zip ties, and bailing wire.

Comment

Working...
        X