Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two different types of flux core wire???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two different types of flux core wire???

I have looked high and low and find all sorts of info that is somewhat conflicting.

I left airgas the other day with a roll of flux core. To be honest I never even looked at the numbers.

Its E71T-GS ---- Most of what I can find says that it is a single pass wire well suited for galvanized material as well as thin material. I read the G is for general and the S is for single pass.

The wire I have used in the past is.

NR211 ---- This one says its a multi pass (up to 3 passes) or 1/2"

Can anyone enlighten me on the differences between these two wires.
    So far I can say from experience is that the GS does run very nice on the thin stuff and it also did a nice job on a 1/4 to 1/4 lap joint galvanized. The slag is almost non existent with the GS.

I switched to the NR211 and found it is a little tougher to run the thin stuff and keep the porosity out. Cranked up it will burn deep, leaving a great looking bead, and having slag almost 1/2 as thick as whats on 7018.

I know it sounds like I have it figured out but for future use I would like to only buy one type and my LWS does not carry the NR211.
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    MM211 AS and Spool-Mate 100.
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive Shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.
    Speedglas 9100x

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

im curious as to what nr211 is.

Comment

NR211 is Lincolns version of spec E71T-11, no doubt with some of their own magic added. I've used other T-11's I like better, but that's just opinion based on performance not actual weld bead characteristics.

Give this tutorial a go.

http://www.esabna.com/EUWeb/AWTC/Lesson7_6.htm

The definition of T-GS and a LWS's description of their store brand sometimes don't seem quite the same due to the incentive for marketeers to play with the wording a bit. The descriptions for the T-G and T-GS are way back at 7.7.13 & 7.7.14
      Last edited by Sandy; 11-08-2010, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks Sandy,

It appears that the esab spec is the same as most of what I have found. Stating that it is a single pass wire.

I realize that every wire is going to run different, I am just trying to figure out the advantages of what seems to be two common wires.

What would be the advantage to using a single pass wire over a multi pass?
        Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
        MM211 AS and Spool-Mate 100.
        Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
        O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
        Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
        4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
        Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
        Jackson Passive Shade #5 for the plasma.
        I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.
        Speedglas 9100x

Projects and Misc Albums
        http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

Originally posted by Tom37 View Post

What would be the advantage to using a single pass wire over a multi pass?
          I'm not positive but as always I imagine price and profit margin are the driving factors. Seems like the GS is what the LWS is always trying to push off on unsuspecting shoppers. "Tastes just like T-11" is what they'll tell you if you ask. I'm not much of a price shopper myself. I decide what I prefer then go on a hunt for it. I did end up with two 8" rolls of GS awhile back just due to a communication error between me and my lil woman. I've about got the last of it burned up. I really prefer the T-11 myself. I don't want to have to worry about single/multi pass issues. I just want to point, squeeze and get with it.

Comment

Working...
          X