Hobart Handler 6969 Gun Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart Handler 6969 Gun Question

I recently acquired an old (80's vintage) Hobart Handler spec #6969. Everything looks good, output voltage is in spec, the fan, wire feed motor and solenoid all work but the liner has been kinked pretty bad and I can't seem to find a replacement.

The gun is a GAL90 and it uses the same tips as the newer Handler guns. (I downloaded the manual from Hobart) The .030 tip is a 379304 and the .035 tip is a 379314, but the liners are 409737-2 and -3 for those size tips...

I guess I need to know if the newer liners won't work can I just install a complete new gun and hose? My next question would be if I need to get a new gun what type will work with the feed assembly on this unit?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but you know how these new guys are!

You can still get new liners for that gun at any hobart distributor part no. 409737-002. Look under sales and service at top of page for closest dist.

Comment

Well, after a month of trying and coming up with dead ends I'm still stuck... The pimple faces at the "dealers" around here are clueless. I did find some folks at Dixie Welding supply that knew what I needed and ordered it. After 3 tries of them having to reorder, it finally came in today and I made the 80 mile trip to pick up my long awaited liner for the GAL-90 gun on my Hobart Handler... Wrong one, wouldn't fit didn't look nothing like mine. The sales manager then spent half hour on the phone with the folks that supposedly own what's left of Hobart then tells me it is not available...

Is there a way to remove my old kinked up liner from the little brass ferrule with the "O" ring and maybe drill it out and insert a new liner spring? Has anyone ever attempted this? **** someone had to make it to start with, maybe it can be repaired... Any suggestions?

Comment

Lets see if I can clarify the Question

Here is a pic of the machine end of my welding lead where the liner attaches: LINK

Here is another showing the old kinked up liner inserted into the tip where the welding wire feeds into the gun from the feed rollers: LINK

Why can't I just go purchase a liner for a different gun and either remove my existing ferrule from this bad liner or machine a new one from brass and crimp it on the new liner? Has anyone ever done this? Where can I find information on the OD of existing liners and their ferrules? If there was a liner available that had this same flange connection it might be possible to make and install a bushing inside the tip part and just use a standard liner from a different model...

Is any of this making any sense to anyone?

Comment

Not sure if this is the exact one you need,but it has the correct
          part number on it.
          http://weldingdirect.com/4037wico0ho1.html

Tom

Comment

Which liner did the guys at your LWS order for you? The one in your picture looks identical the 409737-003 I have.

As mentioned above this is still a good part available from any Miller distributor. Or you could probably even get it online, www.millerforless.com.

It is an expensive liner though, list price is something like $30.00

For your question about just replacing the actual liner piece, as long as you can remove the old conduit without destroying the brass "ferrule" piece, and install a new conduit without smashing or kinking it, your idea will work just fine.
            Last edited by SPC_Randy; 12-09-2010, 04:57 PM.
            Hobart Handler 150
            Hobart Handler 187
            Miller Spectrum 250D
            Airco AC Stick Welder
            Harris O/A
            Makita Chopsaw & Grinders
            Jackson NexGen EQC
            Lots of duct tape, zip ties, and bailing wire.

Comment

Originally posted by ltvTOM View Post
              Not sure if this is the exact one you need,but it has the correct
              part number on it.
              http://weldingdirect.com/4037wico0ho1.html

Tom
              Looking at the little piece of liner that extends out of the ferrule on the one in your link it doesn't appear to be anywhere near long enough to go all the way into the piece that goes into the feed nozzle. The one that I ordered was also like that. Only protruded less than an inch... I think this would cause problems and allow the wire to "birdnest" inside this nozzle...

Comment

Originally posted by SPC_Randy View Post
                Which liner did the guys at your LWS order for you? The one in your picture looks identical the 409737-003 I have.

That's it!... I ordered 409737-3, but the one that came in was nowhere near correct.

My book shows 3 different part numbers for liners:
                409737-1 for 0.024" wire
                409737-2 for 0.030" wire
                409737-3 for 0.035" wire

Guess they couldn't make the jump from the -3 suffix shown in my book to the -003 for the one you have.

I can't find the website you mentioned, but there is a millerwelds.com Unfortunately they don't list any part numbers beginning with 409737... Guess I'll start scouring the web...
                Thanks! I didn't really want to try to "home make" this part, but I also don't want to throw the welder away either...

Comment

Sorry, the site is actually www.miller4less.com

They show that liner available, about $26.00.
                  Hobart Handler 150
                  Hobart Handler 187
                  Miller Spectrum 250D
                  Airco AC Stick Welder
                  Harris O/A
                  Makita Chopsaw & Grinders
                  Jackson NexGen EQC
                  Lots of duct tape, zip ties, and bailing wire.

Comment

Originally posted by SPC_Randy View Post
                    Sorry, the site is actually www.miller4less.com

They show that liner available, about $26.00.
                    Thanks... Got that site bookmarked... I actually ordered one with that same number from http://weldingdirect.com/ It was only 15.50, but they have a 50.00 minimum... I added a couple small rolls of wire and some tips... That liner is also a 15 footer, but I didn't figure it would present much of a problem to cut it off...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200325_184212.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	708675

Comment

Is that something you can use?

Comment

Do you realize you responded to a 10 year old message thread?

"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Working...
                          X