Handler 135 intermittent arc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handler 135 intermittent arc

I have a Handler 135 that I've had five or six years. The thing has worked great until shortly after placing a new spool of wire in the machine recently. It work great as usual for about 15 minutes and then I start getting rapid intermittent arc. Now when I pull the trigger all I get is a rapid intermittent arc. It does this in all four power settings. It looks like it's feeding the wire smoothly. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what you mean by a "rapid arc" but I'd begin with the basics. Check all connections including the gun and cable assembly and the ground clamp and cable. Also check the polarity block for loose connection or overheated condition. It could be internal but I'd start with a good overall visual inspection of everything before troubleshooting further. If you need help, call Hobart Tech Support at 800-332-3281.

Comment

I'm very interested to see where this goes, I am having a very similar problem with my Handler 125. Works great for 10-15 minutes and then the arc gets very irradic and "poppy", but never seems to catch. Talked to tech support the other day and so far no e of the recommendations have worked. Only odd thing I've found so far that might be connected is that I noticed that the wire is not perfectly lined up with the groove in the feed wheel... It's offset by about the width of the wire or slightly more.

I know you said it seemed to be feeding smoothly, have you had someone watch it? Mine seemed to be smooth until we looked at it closer. You can hear an audible difference in the feed motor sound while the arc is inconsistent. I'll keep you informed if I find something that fixes it.

Comment

Jumpy spark...

Are you using solid or flux wire? I had a similar problem a couple years ago with mine. I 'advanced' to solid wire and found the trouble disappeared! For some reason the flux wire loads up in the tip and starts restricting wire movement. It appears that the tip with the 'grime' (for lack of a better word) in it gets hot enough, restricts the wire and eventually puts the brakes on it. My 'fix' was to use over sized (drilled out) tips for the flux and the 'correct' size tips for the solid wire.

Comment

Actually mine was the opposite, never had problems with flux and this did not start happening until last week when I switched to a spool of solid wire. And yes, the polarity is correct andnfrom what I can tell, so is the tension. Dunno...

Comment

Very common cause of flux core wire feed problems is high drive roll pressure setting makes wire out of round. Need less drive roll pressure if your not using excessive high wire reel drag setting.

Last time I hear of miss aligned wire feed to conduit was in first year of this web site. The drive motor for HH135 needed to be screwed in one more position allowed by bolts holding it to gear assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by 37Ford View Post
              I have a Handler 135 that I've had five or six years. The thing has worked great until shortly after placing a new spool of wire in the machine recently. It work great as usual for about 15 minutes and then I start getting rapid intermittent arc. Now when I pull the trigger all I get is a rapid intermittent arc. It does this in all four power settings. It looks like it's feeding the wire smoothly. Any suggestions?
              When's the last time you replaced the tip in your gun? The tip is a consumable as it will wear with use. The tip wear effect could be compounded as the tip heats up.

Comment

Working...
              X