Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MIG Pliers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MIG Pliers

    Are these any good? Link>http://www.amazon.com/Firepower-FIR1.../dp/B000AH64DA

    I know real welders or pro welders don't use them, but I do and I am tired of the POS ones that Hobart sells... yes I have a pair. Soon to go in the trash, can't even cut the wire. Does someone else have a source other than Amazon? Local welding supply places in town are a joke, don't carry much and if they do its double the online price.
    Retired...
    Master Electrician
    Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
    Semi-pro/Hobby Welder
    Hobart Handler 140
    MakerGear M2 3D Printer



  • #2
    "Welper" is the brand some recommend. They are available for $20.

    Search on WELPER: http://weldingsupply.com/

    or http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/We.../100-YS-50.htm
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

    Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------

    Comment


    • #3
      These and the two you two linked appear to be the same exact pliers judging by the pictures.

      I have a pair of Hobart ones myself, and I'm not really happy with them. The cutting jaws don't close enough, so the wire doesn't cut easy. I have to wiggle it a bit for it to cut it completely.

      Comment


      • #4
        Problem is you really can't tell by the online pictures or the name.

        The Chinese made ones may look the same but could still be a POS import. Sellers just use the name Welpers to describe what they are selling. I want the real deal. From what I understand they are either Made in Japan, or USA. I was looking for someone who had just purchased a pair and could send me to the same vendor.
        Retired...
        Master Electrician
        Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
        Semi-pro/Hobby Welder
        Hobart Handler 140
        MakerGear M2 3D Printer


        Comment


        • #5
          I think Klein Tools offers MIG Pliers. Klien tools are made here in Michigan and quality stuff.

          I have no problem with the Hobart pliers. I just stoned the cutting edges a bit.
          So little time...So many machine tools.........
          www.flipmeisters.com

          Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
          Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
          Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
          Harris OA
          Too many motorcycles.............-
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            These are the ones I have. Never a problem cutting wire.

            http://store.cyberweld.com/migpliers.html

            Genuine Welpers - made in Japan.
            I live in my own little world. That's OK, they understand me here.

            Comment


            • #7
              Welper is a registered trademark that belongs to a company in Japan.

              I'd call one of the outfits and ask where they are made.
              --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

              Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
              -------------------------

              Comment


              • #8
                I called about the Firepower branded ones, the lady I talked to was helpful but they did not have a clue as to country of origin. Now I have another number to call in the morning on the east coast.

                BTW get a copy of this weeks Time magazine, it deals with what happened to Made In USA. It's an eye opener... don't want to get into a big discussion about it here.
                Retired...
                Master Electrician
                Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
                Semi-pro/Hobby Welder
                Hobart Handler 140
                MakerGear M2 3D Printer


                Comment


                • #9
                  I've never owned or used a pair of MIG pliers. I just use d i k e s (d a m n censor) to cut the wire and clean the nozzle. (just use one jaw to clean with) It works for me.
                  Jim

                  Miller MM 210
                  Miller Dialarc 250P
                  Airco 225 engine driven
                  Victor O/A
                  Lots of other tools and always wanting more

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
                    I called about the Firepower branded ones, the lady I talked to was helpful but they did not have a clue as to country of origin. Now I have another number to call in the morning on the east coast.

                    BTW get a copy of this weeks Time magazine, it deals with what happened to Made In USA. It's an eye opener... don't want to get into a big discussion about it here.
                    I'm ate up with curiosity? I'm also on that website with my products....What happened in a nutshell?

                    I'm very particular about my products that I sell worldwide and I proudly display the American Flag on each one with 'made in USA' below it.... and it's possible to compete with offshore products because I sell my items in countries that are the biggest exporters, Taiwan, Japan, Indonesia, and the Middle East.
                    Last edited by SidecarFlip; 10-11-2010, 09:42 PM.
                    So little time...So many machine tools.........
                    www.flipmeisters.com

                    Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
                    Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
                    Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
                    Harris OA
                    Too many motorcycles.............-
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SidecarFlip View Post
                      I'm ate up with curiosity? I'm also on that website with my products....What happened in a nutshell?

                      I'm very particular about my products that I sell worldwide and I proudly display the American Flag on each one with 'made in USA' below it.... and it's possible to compete with offshore products because I sell my items in countries that are the biggest exporters, Taiwan, Japan, Indonesia, and the Middle East.
                      I already know what happened to made in America, lots of things, many of them our own fault, most of them management's fault, and today I am going to heap blame on the insurance industry and lawyers! You remember the insurance industry? they just wrote that popular "healthcare overhaul" bill, the one that forces people to buy insurance so that healthy people involuntarily create the profits they need inspite of covering sick people too, oh yeah they ALSO wrote the provision that there would be "governement exchanges" to cover the sickest people, ones that can't be profitable for them. Funny how they get BOTH and nobody seems to notice or care. anway I digress. Insurance, product liabilty, workman's comp, health, fire, accident etc. Most of them MANDATED by the insurance industry's personal rent-a-goon the government, drive up the costs making us less competitive. Do you have any idea what percent of your dollar spent on US products end up at an insurance co? Try 30% or more, I know sidecarflip is probably WAY lower than that, but I am talking about corporations that make millions of products you use everyday. Look at labor costs, as much as 40% of labor costs to business are insurance, count the company contribution for health, workman's comp, liability and DON'T FORGET the emplyee's percent of healthcare, taken before taxes (or it WAS before the current admin) is a percent of labor dollars that end at insurance. To be fair you SHOULD count every dollar that employee spends on insurance at home too, without those expenditures his cost of living & std of living would shift in balance, even at a lower pay rate. then look at other insurance the company buys, vehicle, liability equipment etc. I bet if sidecarflip actually sat down with his accountant and reviewed every penny he sends to an insurance co, being a sole proprietorship (I presume) I mean EVERY PENNY, his car(s) bike(s) in addition to any business ones then looked at it as a percent of his total income (not just profit) he would be shocked.

                      and BTW hillary's "idea" of a "service based economy" has a name it's . . . PONZI SCHEME only manufacturing CREATES the level of productivity to produce excess value that can be drawn down to increasing wealth for employees.

                      and we are officially hi-jacking the thread now.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So anyway I got my Welpers ordered, plus some other stuff I needed welding wise. Thanks for help guys.

                        Read the Time article, this guy travels America and the number one worry is China (or any where else overseas) taking our jobs. I've been a union member all my life, for the most part in the skilled trades. I think the blame for job loss in the US can be spread around. But I also think we can bring back some of the manufacturing lost overseas. American workers can't work for 25 cents a day and buy a new Ford truck. I'd say stop making it easy to export jobs, and lets give tax breaks to companies that makes them competitive. It would offset our EPA and OSHA regulations and the cost. In fact if the employees are making a good wage and paying taxes on that income, why tax US manufacturing at all?
                        Retired...
                        Master Electrician
                        Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
                        Semi-pro/Hobby Welder
                        Hobart Handler 140
                        MakerGear M2 3D Printer


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The problem is, and always has been, there is no free lunch.

                          I'm not a real welder...I'm a hobbyist. I am, however, a CPA and have studied this issue all my professional life.

                          Money - and I mean investment money...the kind of money that comes from people who have serious money to invest in profit-making enterprises - seeks it's own level, just like water.

                          It is not possible to force investors to invest in the US. If wages here, union or otherwise, are out of step with the rest of the world, jobs will be exported. If one union/nonunion worker is "overpaid", someone, somewhere is going to lose. Usually, this loss is in the form of an entire job but sometimes in the form of wage cuts. Same goes for profits. If you tax away profits to the point the investor is not making a fair return (and let's leave "fair and unfair" out of it for a minute) the investor will go someplace else. He/she will do this for exactly the reason you "shop" for a fair price...not necessarily the lowest price. Investors are not some sort of mutant, they are just like you.

                          It should also be pointed out that "profit", on average, across ALL businesses in ALL countries, averages about eight to ten percent. When profits rise above this, the business/industry/country attracts more investors which, in turn, divide up the market so they all make less until profits fall back to 8 or 10 percent. Likewise, when profits are small - 2 or 3 or 5 percent, investors LEAVE those industries and invest in more profitable ventures, leaving the market for the ones that are left...who slowly creep back up to 8 or 10 percent profit.

                          This has been going on for 10,000 years - all of recorded history. It is not going to change because some politician says it should or will. If you want jobs, find a way to make sure the investor get's his/her ten percent. This is why cutting corporate taxes produces jobs and why increasing corporate taxes eliminates jobs. It ain't rocket science, it is common sense.

                          Frankly, the people that think that a reasonable profit is too much for an investor are the ones who lose their jobs. And this, too, has been going on for 10,000 years. Investors have a choice...just like you do when you're standing in Best Buy looking at TVs. And we are not just talking about Google and other giant ventures, we are talking about muffler shops and plumbers. Look what happened to Mom & Pop hardware stores. Home Depot didn't put them out of business, you and me did.

                          BTW, this is not my fault...nor is it "my opinion". It just is. Remember this when you are thinking about voting for the guy that says "free lunch".

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            ElDiaOctavo,

                            Excellent piece! Now if we could just convince those jerks in Washington.

                            Or better yet, throw the bums out!
                            I live in my own little world. That's OK, they understand me here.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ElDiaOctavo View Post
                              The problem is, and always has been, there is no free lunch.

                              I'm not a real welder...I'm a hobbyist. I am, however, a CPA and have studied this issue all my professional life.

                              Money - and I mean investment money...the kind of money that comes from people who have serious money to invest in profit-making enterprises - seeks it's own level, just like water.

                              It is not possible to force investors to invest in the US. If wages here, union or otherwise, are out of step with the rest of the world, jobs will be exported. If one union/nonunion worker is "overpaid", someone, somewhere is going to lose. Usually, this loss is in the form of an entire job but sometimes in the form of wage cuts. Same goes for profits. If you tax away profits to the point the investor is not making a fair return (and let's leave "fair and unfair" out of it for a minute) the investor will go someplace else. He/she will do this for exactly the reason you "shop" for a fair price...not necessarily the lowest price. Investors are not some sort of mutant, they are just like you.

                              It should also be pointed out that "profit", on average, across ALL businesses in ALL countries, averages about eight to ten percent. When profits rise above this, the business/industry/country attracts more investors which, in turn, divide up the market so they all make less until profits fall back to 8 or 10 percent. Likewise, when profits are small - 2 or 3 or 5 percent, investors LEAVE those industries and invest in more profitable ventures, leaving the market for the ones that are left...who slowly creep back up to 8 or 10 percent profit.

                              This has been going on for 10,000 years - all of recorded history. It is not going to change because some politician says it should or will. If you want jobs, find a way to make sure the investor get's his/her ten percent. This is why cutting corporate taxes produces jobs and why increasing corporate taxes eliminates jobs. It ain't rocket science, it is common sense.

                              Frankly, the people that think that a reasonable profit is too much for an investor are the ones who lose their jobs. And this, too, has been going on for 10,000 years. Investors have a choice...just like you do when you're standing in Best Buy looking at TVs. And we are not just talking about Google and other giant ventures, we are talking about muffler shops and plumbers. Look what happened to Mom & Pop hardware stores. Home Depot didn't put them out of business, you and me did.

                              BTW, this is not my fault...nor is it "my opinion". It just is. Remember this when you are thinking about voting for the guy that says "free lunch".
                              You could have not summed it up any better and that's why I know who you are voting for, for governor of Michigan, same person I'm voting for.... The current administration capitalizes on the 'free lunch' syndrome to perpetuate itself. Very sad but at the same time, very appropriate.

                              Originally posted by GilaSlim View Post
                              ElDiaOctavo,

                              Excellent piece! Now if we could just convince those jerks in Washington.

                              Or better yet, throw the bums out!
                              Bottom line with that is 'you and I put therm there'. It's all about being responsible not only as a citizen but being an informed voter and making informed choices. I don't look at them as jerks, I look at them as carrying out their wishes and best interests and discounting yours...and mine.
                              Last edited by SidecarFlip; 10-13-2010, 06:19 PM.
                              So little time...So many machine tools.........
                              www.flipmeisters.com

                              Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
                              Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
                              Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
                              Harris OA
                              Too many motorcycles.............-
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X