What do you wear when MIG welding?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you wear when MIG welding?

So, what do you wear while MIG welding? Is a full leather jacket overkill? Which gloves? I see some videos with 18 in gloves, some "normal" size leather gloves, some no gloves at all. Levis, chaps...

I want to dress properly but not overkill.

Common Sense

Well Agent86 I think it depends on the position you are welding in. In front or below me short sleeve work shirt maybe gloves or not. Over head or if I have to lie down long sleeve leathers would be nice and gloves. When I do wear gloves it's mig/tig gloves. And of course long pants (Jeans). I do not know if you could ever be over dressed. All it would take is one piece of red hot molten steel droplet burn though your pants and under wear, or get stuck between your fingers,or how about down your shirt etc. You fill in the blank_____. If any one of those happens I bet you wished you were over dressed for protection. God gave us common sense, it's up to us to use it...
    sigpic

Comment

dress how you feel you need to dress, not how someone else does.

i tend to wear stick gloves. i just like them. this should get some laughs but i use them for tig once in a while.

i like protection. i wear a leather jacket. even a heavy cotton one is nice when youre laying all over what youre welding resting this or that here or there. on my list of things id like is just a simple square of leather to rest over the top of my thighs when sitting for longer periods. i mostly wear jeans. i imagine ill get around to something better for the legs one day. i cant buy everything at one go so prioritize

im probably overkill on the spectrum. its just my nature.

urch55 is right. where i work is not a weld shop but we have to at times. i hate the cotton/polyester uniform.spatter just pops right through that material. i must have had cotton polyester underwear on too. it was a long burner. you know the ones where youre thinking oh that will go cold any sec now. any sec now. i just need to keep.....aghhhhhhhhhhhh!
      Last edited by mikecwik; 04-26-2010, 08:04 PM.

Comment

...NEVER weld in sneakers!!! The little blob will pass right through the shoe and lodge between your toes. A ritual I experienced one time too many, prompting me to change my forum "handle" from "Evaporator"...which accurately defined my technique on thin metals...

(Its been posted before...this is for the newer members)

"Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

When I started out, i was totally **** about dressing up. Long sleeved shirt, gloves, leather apron, weldor's cap, and steel toes.

Then, it turned to summer. 105° in the shop. You figure it out pretty quick.

Nowadays, it's cape and sleeve if I REALLY gotta git down, but mostly anymore it's long sleeves and gloves. Jeans and leather shoes work well, too.

Hank
          ...from the Gadget Garage
          MM 210 w/3035, BWE
          HH 210 w/DP 3035
          TA185TSW
          Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
          Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

All depends on the quantity of sunburn you wish to receive.

When I'm welding, it's a session so I tend to cover up. I'm welding assemblies on a conductive table, seated. I tend to not wear gloves but my skin is old (I'm old) and it's pretty tough from years of biking so I don't burn easily.

Might have somethinfg to do with my ancestory too.

When I'm running my Lincoln AC/DC gas rig doing scratch start 7018, it's another story.
            So little time...So many machine tools.........
            www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
            Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
            Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
            Harris OA
            Too many motorcycles.............-
            sigpic

Comment

MIG gloves, Long Sleeve FR shirt, Jeans, and work boots. I sunburn rather easy so I like to cover up the skin.
              At work:

Millermatic 251
              Miller Bobcat 250
              Miller Thunderbolt XL
              Hypertherm Plasma Cutter

Oxy-Acy Torch
              Dewalt Grinders
              Milwaukee Porta-band
              Delta Floor Drill Press
              Delta Bench Grinder and Belt/Disc Sander
              Ellis Industrial Bandsaw

At Home:

Millermatic 180

Comment

Welding clothes...

I have an old black leather jacket, a pair of gauntlet gloves inherited from my son and leather work boots. Regular pants, coveralls or long shirt tails with burn holes in them. The jacket is the black leather variety, and it does gt 'warm' in there when out in the sun. But it's something I choose to deal with.

Comment

MIG welding covers a very wide range of power and heat levels...T-shirt and shorts might work for one day, next day an armor suit might not be enough...carry enough gear to cover the gamut of situations you WILL face...you just never know.....

Comment

Bathing suit, flip flops and some reading glasses.......

Can you just picture yourself?
                    sigpic
                    Miller trailblazer 301G
                    Miller S22P12 feeder w/ss case
                    K&K 300 amp 15' .035-.045 (Bernard)
                    Miller HF-251D-1, Weldcraft AC torch pkg
                    Hobart HH187
                    Harris DLX STLWKR
                    O/A & chemolene
                    WARNING These stunts are performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. I insist no one attempt, recreate, or re-enact any activities performed.

Comment

I'm surprised noone mentioned head cover. A welder's beanie helps keep your nose from filling with the smell of burn hair.
                      For off topic conversations, discussions, rants, or even a dirty joke or two, click here

Comment

Dress like the pros:

--- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                        -------------------------
                        DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
                        Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

Comment

Originally posted by professur View Post
                          I'm surprised noone mentioned head cover. A welder's beanie helps keep your nose from filling with the smell of burn hair.
                          Maybe the reason being we get burnt a lot more in other places than on the beanie. I don't remember the last time I smelt hair burning other than when it goes down my pants. I can hear the hair burning when it goes in my ear, but a hat of some sorts won't help that. Maybe ear plugs or muffs, yea that's it..
                          sigpic

Comment

I wear my reading glasses so I can get down close...otherwise, I might not wear any eye protection...but I advise it.

The welding caps ($11 dollars !!) I use so the little bill keeps stuff off the back of your neck and down your shirt and off my sparsely covered noggin.

Standing up, I've been in shorts but usually with long sleeve shirt.

Gloves....always...so I can concentrate on the weld without worrying about a burn.

Comment

Using the gas axe once I dropped a hot one in my boot. It smelled like steak cooking but it was me cooking....

I still have a nice scar and I don't wear my pants in my boots anymore.
                              So little time...So many machine tools.........
                              www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
                              Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
                              Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
                              Harris OA
                              Too many motorcycles.............-
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X