Busted knob (Handler 140)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted knob (Handler 140)

So I managed to do it, I broke my 140 last night. I was moving some things around in the garage and bumped the 4 way + purge selector knob on the welder and the little plastic insert snapped on it.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement part and how easy/hard its gonna be to open the unit up to replace it?

Your local welding supply might have it in stock. Otherwise, they can order it in. Looks like it is either a press-on knob or held onto the shaft with a set screw. Either way you shouldn't need to open the case to attach a new knob. Should be a cheap easy fix.

EDIT: In or out of warranty?
    Last edited by Wyoming; 11-24-2009, 02:50 PM.
    Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Out of warranty.

The knob presses on to a white piece of plastic that is part of the selector. Thats the part the snapped so the entire selector will need to be replaced.

Comment

Start with local welding supply or the following link for a service center.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/wheretobuy/?svc=service
        Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Thanks!! Its part #229432 in case anyone does this. I just need to drive over tot he shop and order it now.

Comment

Thought I would post an update for the **** of it. The part number I listed above is the 4 position switch. So if you have the handler 140 that has 1 though 4 + a purge position, that is not the right part.

After a pleasant 5min call with a Hobart tech they found the correct part for my welder, the 5 position switch is part number #409477 and is about $19 through any good Miller dealer. I am still waiting on the new switch to arrive but I took apart the welder last night and it looks like it will be a 5 minute job to swap in the new one.

Comment

Working...
            X