125EZ - broken?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 125EZ - broken?

I have a new 125EZ welder. When I turn on power to the unit, I hear a fan start. I can start a weld and weld for a few seconds, then stop. The fan continues running for a few seconds, then turns off. The welder is dead and won't weld. It is powered from a dual socket outlet and the other socket is still live. I turn off the welder, turn it on, still dead. Try again in a few minutes, and the fan starts and I can weld again. This cycle repeats - weld for a few seconds stop welding, fan runs then stops, welder dead, wait a few minutes, then can weld again. Am I doing something wrong?

Well, sounds like maybe the thermal protector is either defective, or something bad is happening inside the unit to cause it to get really hot. Did you buy this brand new yourself? or used? If brand new, I'd give Hobart Tech Support a jingle....
    -Matt

My Stuff:

Hobart Handler 125 w/ Gas kit
    Hobart Beta-Mig 250
    Ancient Marquette AC stick Welder

Puma 23 cfm Single Stage Air Compressor

Carolina Tool Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw (no chopsaw for me!!)

Various Hand tools
    Die grinders (straight and right angle)
    1/2 drive impact wrench

40'x48' Shop with infloor radiant heat - paradise

250,000 BTU EKO 60 Wood Gasification boiler.... Heat shop, house, and milkhouse from one boiler; all at 80% efficiency.

Comment

It's broke.

Hobart warranty is excellent. Take 'er back 'n get a new one.

Hank
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      MM 210 w/3035, BWE
      HH 210 w/DP 3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
      Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

Could you be touching the contact tip to the metal, and not the wire? The machine has a built-in protection circuit for grounding out the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky D View Post
          Could you be touching the contact tip to the metal, and not the wire? The machine has a built-in protection circuit for grounding out the tip.
          That would be my first guess too Rocky. When I first got my HH140 and was learning to weld with flux core, I had a habit of grounding out the tip, and she would not work again until I cleaned the tip to clear the short it was making with the wire.
          Lincoln 175HD
          Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC
          Smith AW1, Dillon (Henrob) Mark III & Smith Quickbraze Little Torch

Comment

If the fan motor is quitting then you are losing power to the unit. Without the fan operatiing the unit cannot weld. It may be poor connection at the power switch or fan motor. Or simply a bad fan motor. If less than 30 days stores will generally exchange but if its past that, this would be covered under Hobarts warranty.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart Expert Keith View Post
              If the fan motor is quitting then you are losing power to the unit. Without the fan operatiing the unit cannot weld. It may be poor connection at the power switch or fan motor. Or simply a bad fan motor. If less than 30 days stores will generally exchange but if its past that, this would be covered under Hobarts warranty.

Keith

Thanks for all the advice. I will try again on Thursday morning with the welder on a different outlet and let you know what happens. For sure the fan is turning off and the welder is totally dead. I can check if it's a bad switch or fan.

Comment

Try it on a completely different circuit, fed through a different circuit breaker...just takes minute, and its quick and easy.
                "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

The welder is getting exchanged for another one. It's a fantastic welder when it works and I can't wait to get using it.

Comment

Working...
                  X