No announcement yet.

Flux core ok for auto patch panels?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've filled holes in 24 ga auto bonnet with .030 flux core wire. Can't run even short bead. Tack weld and hold position until it starts fading from vision threw #10 welding lens then another tack next to last slowly makes crude short bead. Much easier with .023 wire and shielding gas but your tempted to make longer welds with increased distortion. Any welded repair will have shorter life than original unless you can paint back side.

Comment

Hello, I am wanting to learn to weld particularly so that I may do repairs to cars. I do mechanic work on them but would like to expand my knowledge and be able to do body work as well. Could anyone tell me what a good starter welder would be for a beginner and what I should focus on more so to learn about welding on cars. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Markdjr1984 View Post
        Hello, I am wanting to learn to weld particularly so that I may do repairs to cars. I do mechanic work on them but would like to expand my knowledge and be able to do body work as well. Could anyone tell me what a good starter welder would be for a beginner and what I should focus on more so to learn about welding on cars. Thank you
        You should have started a new thread, but since you tacked it here, does that mean you are talking about sheet metal restoration exclusively, or will you be welding on the frame and other critical structures? Assuming the former, as this thread has outlined, you need the ability to run a CO2/Ar shielding gas with a solid .024" wire. The more you spend the nicer the machine will be, and you didn't state your budget, which has to also factor in all other tools and safety equipment you don't already have. Any Hobart Handler MIG will do sheet metal very well.

Comment

Working...
        X