Hobart Trek 180??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart Trek 180??

Browsing Northern tool today and came accross the Hobart Trek 180.
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0405_200390405
    Pretty neat idea, if I read right it runs on batteries and also can weld while plugged into a 115V outlet. I can't find it anywhere else, including here, what gives? I don't think it would be a good fit for me since I already have a generator that I can tote around if I need to, just thought it was interesting and maybe someone has used one before and can satisfy my curiosity on this machine. Is it worth the money? How are the weld characteristics? Really welds 100" of 1/8" steel before recharge?

The Trek 180 is a new product that is scheduled to be released to the market at the end of the summer.

This product is the result of extensive research to provide a trail-fix welding solution to the off-road market. We spent quite some time attending off-road events observing the problems encountered while on the trail and the existing solutions. Obviously, the Trek 180 will also be a great fit for other applications that require welding where grid power is unavailable such as farm and ranch applications.

The Trek 180 has excellent arc performance utilizing inverter arc technology. A welder with a comparable arc in the market today is the Miller Passport.

The unique feature of the Trek 180 is its battery power. The machine has internal premium high-performance sealed lead-acid batteries. These aren't the garden tractor style batteries that have very limited capacity and charge capability. Their custom construction deliver the high output currents required in a welding application as well as the capability to be charged very quickly.

The Trek 180 has an on-board intelligent charging system to charge the batteries quickly and properly. A single weld cycle can be obtained from a quick charge (15 minutes) and the full charge cycle takes only 90 minutes. The charger operates from a 115V source. Off-road, a simple automotive 115V inverter can be used to charge the system. We recommend a minimum inverter rating of 400W. The charging system also utilizes inverter technology.

Operating on battery power, we've tested the machine to deliver 100 inches of weld on 1/8" steel on a full charge. Of course, this is subjective due to each individual's travel speed. The Trek 180 can weld 40" of 1/4" steel on a full charge.

The Trek 180 can also be operated back in your shop while plugged into a 115V supply. In this mode, it's the most powerful 115V welder on the market. It can deliver 180 amps output (8% duty cycle) while only drawing 12 amps off the 115V line. At the rated output of 120 amps, it is rated at 20% duty cycle. With this low line draw, it can even be operated from a long extension cord without loss in welding performance.

The Trek 180 provides infinite control for both the voltage and wire feed speed functions. The adjustable voltage control allows the Trek 180 to maintain a stable arc voltage independent of the charge state of the batteries. When the batteries reach a low-voltage condition, the welder shuts down and a low-battery indication is given; telling the operator to recharge the batteries.

The Trek 180 can be operated in the DCEN mode for flux-cored wire welding in the field without shielding gas or DCEP for solid wire welding using C25 shielding gas.

The Trek 180 is packaged in a robust plastic case to withstand the rough handling experienced in the off-road environment. The machine has been designed to be extremely portable and minimize the space required for transport. Space in an off-road vehicle is premium.

I hope this answers some of your questions. At the same time, I'm sure that I may have generated a few more.

Darrell

Comment

I couldn't find the weight anywhere. I'd be honored to field test one for you...its doing much of what I bought my EZ125 for...without a cord!...and its 110 volt operation may over take my trusty HH180!
      "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Hotfoot, the one thing I wondered about was the weight (being rather svelte myself).
        --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
        -------------------------

Comment

I saw Hobart Trek 180 already being sold in Amazon for $1,399.
          http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002EP3560/...0&linkCode=asn
          The difference between try and triumph is a little umph.
          Metal Industry News celebrity addresses world amazing facts

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
            I couldn't find the weight anywhere. I'd be honored to field test one for you...its doing much of what I bought my EZ125 for...without a cord!...and its 110 volt operation may over take my trusty HH180!
            The weight is the same as the Handler 125 EZ (machine weight of 50 lb.). One of our goals was to make the machine portable.

I've personally carried it through many rocky trails, over sand dunes, etc.

Comment

Darrell,

Will the unit output a high enough voltage (21V range) at 180 amps to run an .030/.035 solid wire with C-25?
              MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
              Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                Darrell,

Will the unit output a high enough voltage (21V range) at 180 amps to run an .030/.035 solid wire with C-25?
                The top end voltage at 180 amps is 18.5V. With C25 gas and .030/.035 solid wire, the Trek 180 easily hits the 170A recommendation at 18.5V. This is similar to tap 6 of your Handler 187.

The 180A output is more suited to the flux-cored wire application which would normally be used in an off the grid (off-road) application where it would also be impractical to haul a gas bottle. As you know, flux-cored wire is designed for outdoor applications where there may be wind present which may blow shielding gas away. The flux-cored wire runs at a lower voltage than does solid wire, typically 19V max.

Darrell

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart Expert Darrell View Post
                  The top end voltage at 180 amps is 18.5V. With C25 gas and .030/.035 solid wire, the Trek 180 easily hits the 170A recommendation at 18.5V. This is similar to tap 6 of your Handler 187.

The 180A output is more suited to the flux-cored wire application which would normally be used in an off the grid (off-road) application where it would also be impractical to haul a gas bottle. As you know, flux-cored wire is designed for outdoor applications where there may be wind present which may blow shielding gas away. The flux-cored wire runs at a lower voltage than does solid wire, typically 19V max.

Darrell
                  I suspected at 180 amps, the voltage was going to fall in the E71T-11 range.

A 160 -170 amp range output from the internal battery power supply or an external 120V power supply , for solid wire applications, is still very impressive.

I have another question. Does the Hobart gun that will be supplied with the Trek 180 have a Miller backend on it? If so, does the unit have the same wire drive assembly as the compact Millermatic units?
                  MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                  Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Darrell your dedication is stellar going to far off 4X4 sites ruffing it in the sand and rocks to observe and assist welding broken 4X4 rigs to develop another great welder. I read more than 6 months ago Hobart was developing this welder without any details.

Was there a Hobart Jeep developed too?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      I have another question. Does the Hobart gun that will be supplied with the Trek 180 have a Miller backend on it? If so, does the unit have the same wire drive assembly as the compact Millermatic units?
                      Dan - here's the answers to your questions:

The Hobart gun will have a large power pin that is the same as the power pin of the Miller guns.

The wire drive assembly will be the same as the compact MM units. The robust design fit the robust requirements of this portable application going into very rugged environments.

Darrell

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                        Darrell your dedication is stellar going to far off 4X4 sites ruffing it in the sand and rocks to observe and assist welding broken 4X4 rigs to develop another great welder. I read more than 6 months ago Hobart was developing this welder without any details.

Was there a Hobart Jeep developed too?
                        Hi Roger,

It's not just been my dedication. This has been a BIG team effort led by our Product Marketing and Development manger Caleb (you'll see him post from time to time here as Hobart Expert Caleb). I've just been one of the lucky team members to get out and observe (and experience) the off road experience. There's a lot of great people in the off-road community and the feedback which we've received from them has been invaluable.

One of the premier events that we regularly attend and sponsor is the Petersen's 4Wheel & Off-Road Magazine's Ultimate Adventure. That's probably where you heard mention of the Trek 180. We've had prototypes at several of the UA's in the past. If you look at the DVD's of the UA in years past, there has been some footage included. You can see more Hobart-specific information on the DVD's by viewing the sponsors section of the DVD's.

The Trek 180 isn't the only piece of equipment that gets used. While supporting the off-road vehicles, we get to use pretty much our whole offering of equipment and accessories (MIG welders, welder generators, plasma cutters, stick welders, A/D helmets, etc.). As a matter of fact, another new product that's getting ready to be released very soon, the IronMan 230, made an early appearance at an Ultimate Adventure base camp in one of our support vehicles.

In the past, we've taken mainly support vehicles. This will be the first year that we'll have a vehicle on the trail with the Ultimate Adventure. You'll see it in upcoming issues of the magazine (4W&OR) as well as the DVD that'll be released. As a matter of fact, we're getting to leave for the event tomorrow, so I'll be off-line and on the trail for a while.

Darrell

Comment

sounds good to me
                          smith

Comment

I have a Miller Dialarc HF-P with the tig set up at home. I have the same machine at work. Both machines are mid 1980 and both have been excellent machines with no problems.The one at work has been in use at a plant that is open seven days a week , 24 hours a day. With a 50 man crew, I can't begin to tell you many hours that machine has on it.We use it for both stick and tig welding. I liked it so well is why I bought one for home. With any care at all they seem to be bullet proof. As far as parts or repairs I can't tell you because the machines have not required any repairs in all these years.They both still look and weld great.If you can pull the covers and have look inside and do some test welds if possible. I know I will be buying other Miller machines, but I won't be selling my Dialarc, it's a keeper.
                            The center of attention on drawing concepts based on the new stressing that brings incorporated and fixed services on 312-49, 350-001, 350-018 and 350-029

Comment

Originally posted by mrandrei View Post
                              I saw Hobart Trek 180 already being sold in Amazon for $1,399.
                              http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002EP3560/...0&linkCode=asn

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0405_200390405

Comment

Working...
                              X