125EZ Smokes out!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 125EZ Smokes out!!!

Was in the process of finishing up my Moon Rocket #2 this morning, so I could deliver to the gallery on Thursday (I also have to to finish up a gong, also for a different gallery, and combine my delivery trips...lotsa miles between Stage Stops)

Well, me and my trusty 125EZ were doing our thing, when it just quit arcing...I thought perhaps I had burnt the wire back to the tip, but, as I examined it, the wire was free, but smoke was coming out (and not just a little) around the red trigger! Dead The fan on the machine was still running. 'looks like I'll be without the little guy for a few weeks...or however long the local repair center (wherever that is) takes..plus I'll have to slice and dice my already packed schedule to put on 100 miles to where ever the center is....!!!).

Y'know, this unit 's gun was funky from the get-go, because the insulated wires were exposed for an inch out of the gun collar...I just taped that over...but now I wonder if I got a factory second gun! My unit was not a re-furb. I bought it new from Tractor Supply.

Here's what it looked like when I pulled my tape off (which I applied the day I received it). It'll push back together some, but not enough to fit in it the collar.

...and here, I discover that the liner appears to have taken on a bit of a kink (cell phone photo in dark shop)...although the wire was feeding fine. I guess the tape didn't offer the support the collar was supposed to.

In hindsight, I should have packed the unit back up and sent it back when I first saw the cheesy gu / snake fit...but its such a PITA to do that, so I thought it would be fine. Why does Hobart let something like this out of the stable? I know its at the bottom of the heap in their product line...but C'mon guys!!
    Last edited by Hotfoot; 06-09-2009, 09:45 AM.
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Has anyone else's unit arrived with the sleeve pulled back like that...to the point where it couldn't be wiggled back into place?
    I'm afraid now the repair shop will say "Normal wear and tear" on that liner, and want to charge me (plus their labor, which will be four times the price of the liner and whatever burnt up that cause the smoke to roll out the trigger area)...even though I've not even run one 2 pound spool through it yet!
    Grrrrrr.....

When the unit only cost $269.00 to start with, you have to ask yourself if its worth spending much more than $50.00 to fix it...even though its only broke because of how it was sent out the door!...or even if I should have to pay anything at all...

Hey Hobart Expert Keith, any feedback on this one??
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Our gun assembly is warranted for one year. There should not be a problem with any warranty repair on a unit under 1 year old. You can call us at 1-800-332-3281.

Keith

Comment

I checked mine and it's real tight...I wouldn't think it should've been a problem, either. Smoke around the trigger? Pull it apart and you may be able to fix it. Sounds like a wire let go. Should still be under warranty, call tech support.
        Arcin' and sparkin', Rocky D <><
        Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
        IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER...
        IF YOU'RE READING THIS IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER!

Comment

That's what makes Hobart tech support a cut above the rest...Hobart Expert Keith answered your post even before I could post mine! WAY TO GO!

Comment

Well, one better than that, Rocky. A new gun/hose assembly is already on the way! Keith asked if I wanted to try it myself, or take it to a repair center. I chose the former, because the centers all equal a day out of my life by time I take it there, then go back to get it (plus the down time).

Pretty good service, I'd say!
            "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

I didn't figure you'd suffer too badly on this deal... Hobart takes care of ya.

One of the necessary compromises on a machine at this price point is the guns are not that robust... I know yours came pre-abused, but I noticed real quick that I'd have to pamper the gun assembly on this machine.
              Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
              Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Still a darn good welder, though!
                "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Here's a mod I did to keep the cables organized...when I wrap them up, I make sure there is no stress on the cables, so they lay free.

Comment

Hotfoot,
                    look at this thread. Look at post number 7. You arent the only one with this problem.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ighlight=liner

-Ryan
                    Last edited by ace4059; 06-15-2009, 12:16 AM. Reason: I guess it would help to post the link
                    PowerMig 215
                    Precision Tig 225
                    Old Buzz Box

Hypertherm 600
                    HH 125 EZ
                    MM 350P
                    TB 302 w/ 12RC

Originally posted by scab
                    If you are the type of person who gets upset at things breaking brace yourself for possible dissappointment.

Comment

Working...
                    X