Beta-Mig 200 Wire Feeder Runs Continuously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beta-Mig 200 Wire Feeder Runs Continuously

I finally got the garage wired up for 220...little did I realize after mounting the recepticle and running the wiring, that the wire comes out of the top of the plug instead of the bottom like the 110 plugs Oh well, so now it's upside down (the wire end on the male plug is going up when plugged in).

At any rate, the wire feeder on the beta-mig continuously runs, even if I unplug the gun. The speed control does indeed work (the motor does slow down and speed up), but it never stops. My first thought was that the K2 control relay is bad (stuck in one position)...but I tested the spool gun and I can hear the relay and the spool gun operates as expected. The only time the feeder stops when using the standard gun, is when I turn the unit off or flip the switch to use the spool gun (of course I turn the welder off before doing this).

Since I only see one relay in the unit for the drive motor and in the schematics, I'm under the impression that both the spool gun and the standard gun run off the same relay.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks...
    Last edited by stkcode; 02-22-2009, 10:55 PM. Reason: Changed K1 to K2 control relay
    Jon
    Hobart Beta-Mig 200
    Smith Proportional Mixer CO2/Argon
    Buffalo Forge No. 22 Drill Press

Do you have a circuit?
    Cheers

Comment

The circuit is open.

It looks like I may have been wrong in my first post. It looks like relays K5 and K4 on the rc board may actually control the spool gun. It looks like the standard gun goes to the rectifier and k2 control relay.

I'm going to take the cover off and checkout the k2 relay. I'm having a very hard time reading the schematics...not because I don't know how to read one, but because the printout is more like globs then anything else...it's hard to read.

When I first turn the machine on, the unit hums and the fan starts up. The feeder immediately starts to run. I don't hear any relay click like when I squeeze the trigger on the spool gun.
      Jon
      Hobart Beta-Mig 200

Comment

Ok, I ran the welder with the cover off and heres what is happening.
        The spool gun and the standard gun do not share the same K2 contact relay.

When I turn the machine on in standard mode:

The fan turns on and the machine hums.
        The K2 contact relay activates...activating the K1 contact.
        The motor continously runs, whether the gun is plugged in or not.
        Pulling the gun trigger changes nothing.

I took the gun apart and checked with gun switch with an multimeter and the gun switch is good. I found the motor brake resistor (looks more like a coil) contacts where rusted quite a bit. I couldn't get it to zero out on the multimeter so I took it out and wire brushed it, then used some light sandpaper to get the contacts clean. The rest of the contacts in the machine look fine.

I'm at a bit of a loss...the machine has no wire in it and I don't have the work clamp hooked to anything. I'm not really sure what is causing the k2 contact relay to activate without the gun trigger being pulled.
        Last edited by stkcode; 02-23-2009, 08:57 PM.
        Jon
        Hobart Beta-Mig 200

Comment

It must be the PCB, do you have a circuit you can post?
          Have you checked all plugs and terminals?
          Take the PCB out and go over it with a magnifying glass for crook joints, bad tracks etc

Cheers

Comment

I cleaned the board better and did find one end of the capacitor has been burned. However, after going through the manual, that board appears to control the spool gun only. In other words, their is no pc board used when using the standard gun, as far as I can tell. There's only one pc board in the welder chassis.

If you could pm me your email address, I could send you a copy of the manual which has the diagrams and flow chart. I'll try to post some pictures of the burned capacitor shortly...however...I still don't think it's the problem as mentioned above (I'll see about replacing the capacitor though, after I find out it's rating).

I checked most of the connections and only found one to have a problem...one of the spade connectors to the motor speed control was cracked. When I removed it, a piece of the connector fell off. I've crimped a new spade connector back on. None of the other spade connectors appear to have this problem.

I believe the problem lies between the spade connector for the gun on the welder front panel and the k2 contact relay. Their still is a possibility that part of k2 relay is still bad. While it is switching the k1 contact, their could be the part of the relay that the switch connects to that is bad. I'm going to take the k2 relay out and check it with the multimeter to find out.

Thanks for the assistance.
            Last edited by stkcode; 02-24-2009, 10:47 PM.
            Jon
            Hobart Beta-Mig 200

Comment

I'll also check, if I can unhook the pin from the gun switch recepticle on the front panel to the k2 relay and it the relay stilll activates when the welder is turned on then part of the relay is indeed bad.
              Last edited by stkcode; 02-24-2009, 11:06 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
              Jon
              Hobart Beta-Mig 200

Comment

Solved...thanks anyway. After disconnecting the gun wire to the k2 contact relay and powering up...the relay stayed off...so the relay wasn't the problem.

After tracing the gun wire to the back of the gun recepticle on the front panel, I found three wires with 1 piggyback terminal. The spade connector on the piggyback terminal was touch the opposing terminal, completing the circuit.

After bending the terminal away and tie-wrapping the two wires together on the same circuit so they could never come back in contact with the third wire terminal...bingo...it runs off the gun trigger now.

It's time to find out if this baby will strike an arc...minus replacing the burnt capacitor I mentioned earlier.
                Last edited by stkcode; 02-25-2009, 02:07 AM. Reason: Ugh...can't spell
                Jon
                Hobart Beta-Mig 200

Comment

Nice job on figuring it out. Get the cap replaced and start welding.. You should be able to strike an arc with a bad cap. If your welder is real old, I'd consider replacing all of the caps. They're not real expensive if you buy from a capacitor shop.
                  Millermatic Passport Plus
                  Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
                  XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12RC
                  Dynasty 300 DX
                  Victor O/A
                  Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

Thanks...it's only on the spool gun board and I'm not going to be using the spool gun for a while. I just wish I could get the rating off of it, but it looks like the numbers are on it's bottom. Of course out of view without de-soldiering and removing it.

It looks like the biggest priority at the moment is to make some lead holders. I'm not moving the machine that much and it's already really annoying having to play around with 3 leads and the spool gun regulator hose (it's separate from the standard gun input).

Haven't struck an arc yet as Airgas sold me .030 instead of .035 wire as I asked for and charged me a $6 hazmat fee So I'm ganna be taking the wire back next week. It looks like I'll be taking my business somewhere else.
                    Last edited by stkcode; 03-01-2009, 12:33 AM. Reason: More spelling errors...
                    Jon
                    Hobart Beta-Mig 200

Comment

Working...
                    X