Used plasma for a novice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used plasma for a novice?

I'm considering a plasma cutter; either a TD39 or Powermax30, new. However...I just saw an ad for a used TD38 for $650, which is certainly better than $1000. The seller says it's about 5 years old, in good condition, but with some scratches on the case. Consumables included, though I don't know which ones or how many of them.

My gut tells me I shouldn't even consider a used unit since I don't know what to look for as far as trouble spots are concerned. A few scratches, I can deal with, and the asking price is attractive. Just don't want to plug it in and find out I just bought a very expensive boat anchor!

If anyone can offer any suggestions as to how best to check it out, key issues to look for, maybe what the most costly thing I might have to replace would be, I'd appreciate any advice. And if that advice is to run as fast as I can in the opposite direction, that's cool too.

Thanks!!
    Michael

Have him demo it for you. Its an automatic dual voltage machine, so see if he can show it working on both voltages. That is a very good machine, I used to have one! That's about the right price for a used unit, so it doesn't sound fishy...Oh...and..it won't last! Go soon, with cash in your pocket!
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
      Have him demo it for you. Its an automatic dual voltage machine, so see if he can show it working on both voltages. That is a very good machine, I used to have one! That's about the right price for a used unit, so it doesn't sound fishy...Oh...and..it won't last! Go soon, with cash in your pocket!
      Thanks. I didn't know if this was one of those things where, if you know what's wrong with it, you could demo so that whatever's wrong wasn't apparent. I don't even know what these things are supposed to sound like! Or even if they DO sound!

One other thing I forgot to mention...it was listed on 2 Feb and it's still for sale.
      Michael

Comment

Not much to it. With proper air supply, itys just "point and cut". If its cutting anice, thin kerf (and the TD C38 has one of the finest!), its good! Take few scraps, and have him do a scrap of sheet metal (duck soup), then a piece of 1/4" (angle , whatever). Perhaps he has not used it much, so his technique might be poor, but the machine pretty much takes right to the task...low amps for the sheet metal, all the way up for the 1/4"...clean ground is very important, but that unit will fire up and cut through paint, rust, etc. without a problem.
        He might have sold it, and just not pulled the ad. they move fast down here in Texas.
        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Working...
        X