IRONMAN 250 vs MM212

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRONMAN 250 vs MM212

Ready to buy a new welder. Have it narrowed down to either the hobart ironman 250 or the millermatic 212. What are the pros and cons? Eveyone seems to compare the mm212 to the im210 saying they are not even close, so how does the 250 and 212 compare?

Output power wise the IM 250 and the 7 tap MM 212 are going to be similar. In the area of duty cycle the IM 250 is more robust. The 212 has the superior wire drive.

Honestly the 7 tap design of the IM 250 really doesn't offer enough output ranges to choose from to do a good job of cover the output power range the unit is designed to cover.

I'd look at a MM212 with Auto-Set over a IM 250. Not for the auto-set feature though. Instead for the larger range of control the variable voltage provides, over the limited number of taps selections the IM 250 offers you..
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

The welding shop i went to had a 7 tap mm212. Is the autoset a new option? Alot more money i suppose?

Comment

The MM 212 with Auto-set is a new Millermatic unit that Miller hasn't fully released nation wide yet.

Looks like right around $1500 for MM212 with Auto-set

http://store.cyberweld.com/mimigwe.html
        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

I like that autoset mm212. Local shop told me $1550 for regular mm212 and $1349 for hobart ironman 250. Very seldom will i ever need to weld 1/2" steel but will that mm212 still handle it?

Comment

Originally posted by ash View Post
            I like that autoset mm212. Local shop told me $1550 for regular mm212 and $1349 for hobart ironman 250. Very seldom will i ever need to weld 1/2" steel but will that mm212 still handle it?
            Yes, just use multi passes and it will be no problem. My 350P will weld 1/2" in single pass, But do I hardly ever do it? NO. For 3/8" I run multi passes with the 350P, because once you get into the heat input for a single pass on anything thicker, you are trying to control a really large puddle. So I just bevel, run hot, but still use multi passes.
            PowerMig 215
            Precision Tig 225
            Old Buzz Box

Hypertherm 600
            HH 125 EZ
            MM 350P
            TB 302 w/ 12RC

Originally posted by scab
            If you are the type of person who gets upset at things breaking brace yourself for possible dissappointment.

Comment

Working...
            X