Tack 409SS with MS MIG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tack 409SS with MS MIG

I am building an SS exhaust and I am wanting to tack everything up and then take it off and get it TIG welded. I have is a 75/25 mix with MS wire, will this be ok to tack it up?

Originally posted by 01somta View Post
    I am building an SS exhaust and I am wanting to tack everything up and then take it off and get it TIG welded. I have is a 75/25 mix with MS wire, will this be ok to tack it up?
    It's possible to tack it with regular carbon steel wire and 75/25 mix, but your tack welds will be susceptible to corrosion, while the rest of the exhaust will not be.

Comment

3 tacks should be all you need, but like kst says it will rust in the tack area, but it wouldn't make the pipe fail. You might also consider getting SS fluxcore wire to tack it with.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky D View Post
        3 tacks should be all you need, but like kst says it will rust in the tack area, but it wouldn't make the pipe fail. You might also consider getting SS fluxcore wire to tack it with.
        SS fluxcore wire is a great idea, I hadn't even considered that. I actually could use this in a project I've got coming up as well... Thanks for the suggestion, Rocky D!

Comment

Originally posted by kst8engineer View Post
          SS fluxcore wire is a great idea, I hadn't even considered that. I actually could use this in a project I've got coming up as well... Thanks for the suggestion, Rocky D!
          SS fluxcore wire is $$$$... I don't know if you have access to a stick machine but maybe you could get a couple of stainless stick electrodes to tack with? Much lower investment for the same result.
          Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Rocky,

Maybe you'd be so kind as to post up some sources for SS fluxcore wire in sizes useable by the average (non production) guy.

Only SS fluxcore wire I've found was on 44# spools and that would last me about three lifetimes. That, and the fact that I'd have to mortgage the house to pay for a spool that large.

If you have a source for 2# or even 10# spools, I'd sure like to hear about it. Oh yeah, 316 would be nice.
            SundownIII

Syncrowave 250DX, Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
            MM 251 w/30 A SG
            HH 187 Mig
            XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Pulser
            Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
            Hypertherm PM 1250 Plasma
            Victor, Harris, and Smith O/A
            PC Dry Cut Saw and (just added) Wilton (7x12) BS
            Mil Mod 6370-21 Metal Cut Saw
            More grinders than hands (Makita & Dewalt)
            Grizzly 6"x48" Belt Sander
            Access to full fab shop w/CNC Plasma & Waterjet
            Gas mixers (Smith(2) and Thermco)
            Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
              Rocky,

Maybe you'd be so kind as to post up some sources for SS fluxcore wire in sizes useable by the average (non production) guy.

Only SS fluxcore wire I've found was on 44# spools and that would last me about three lifetimes. That, and the fact that I'd have to mortgage the house to pay for a spool that large.

If you have a source for 2# or even 10# spools, I'd sure like to hear about it. Oh yeah, 316 would be nice.
              I just ran across this one via Google:
              https://weldingsupply.securesites.co...49:UNDEF::::PC

[edit] Sorry, I spoke too soon -- they're not fluxcore.
              Last edited by kst8engineer; 05-18-2009, 01:09 PM. Reason: Error

Comment

I'm building an exhaust system using components which are 409 stainless steel, and it would be very nice to be able to at least tack weld the components together at home (without ending up with rusty welds). If I could come up with some flux-cored stainless steel wire, I'd probably just weld the whole thing myself. My only welder is a Hobart Handler 135 MIG.

So, if someone does run across a flux-cored welding wire available for a reasonable price, I'd be interested in it as well.

Comment

What about the possibility of welding 409 stainless with 308L wire? ER308L is considered to be an acceptable wire for welding 409 SS. It's not a fluxcore wire, so a shielding gas will be needed.

What is the preferred shielding gas to be used with ER308L? Does anyone have experience using ER308L with a 75/25 Argon/CO2 mix? Although this gas is probably not the preferred shielding gas, would it work with acceptable results?

Comment

Originally posted by kst8engineer View Post
                    What about the possibility of welding 409 stainless with 308L wire? ER308L is considered to be an acceptable wire for welding 409 SS. It's not a fluxcore wire, so a shielding gas will be needed.

What is the preferred shielding gas to be used with ER308L? Does anyone have experience using ER308L with a 75/25 Argon/CO2 mix? Although this gas is probably not the preferred shielding gas, would it work with acceptable results?
                    For what you're doing, it'll work just fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X