HH187 sparking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH187 sparking

It's my understanding that when I touch the wire to the workpiece, it should be cold. Until I pull the trigger on the gun...there should be no spark at all. On mine, I sometimes do get a small spark, though just very briefly. Most times, I get nothing. Is this normal? Thanks.
    Michael

It's normal....it's the cap. discharging
    George W. Bush saving your butt whether you like it or not!
    If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    Thomas Paine
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 w S.G.
    Victor/Uniweld O/P
    Dewalt Chop Saw

Comment

Good to know. Thanks!!
      Michael

Comment

84Zmike is prolly correct. Weld a small bead and touch the wire to the work piece it will prolly do as you say it is doing but it should not do it a second time, because the cap has already discharged its remaining voltage. If it does spark a second time the trigger contact may be sticking.

Comment

Originally posted by TR3A View Post
          It's my understanding that when I touch the wire to the workpiece, it should be cold. Until I pull the trigger on the gun...there should be no spark at all. On mine, I sometimes do get a small spark, though just very briefly. Most times, I get nothing. Is this normal? Thanks.
          There is a bleed resistor across the output capacitor to discharge it after the gun trigger has been released. The discharge takes approximately 2 seconds. A capacitor discharge is an exponential function, so the output voltage drops very quickly immediately and then slows down a little as the voltage gets very low. If you touch the wire to the weldment immediately after the trigger has been released, you may see a spark; depending upon the state of discharge through the bleed resistor.

Darrell

Comment

Working...
          X