Hobart 187

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart 187

Purchased a Hobart187 connected to 30A double pole breaker. Problem, when I start to weld, I get an initial "spark" but nothing after that. The circuit breaker has not tripped and the fan on the unit is running but no further spark. Do I need to run this unit off of a 50 A breaker or is something in the wiring??

30 Amp breaker is fine. Check your ground connection, and be sure polarity is correct. From the factory, the machine is set up for flux core; you neeed to reevrse the lead for gas. Also check the pressure at the feed roller and on the spool. Do you get good wire feed?

Comment

Originally posted by badkins View Post
      Purchased a Hobart187 connected to 30A double pole breaker. Problem, when I start to weld, I get an initial "spark" but nothing after that. The circuit breaker has not tripped and the fan on the unit is running but no further spark. Do I need to run this unit off of a 50 A breaker or is something in the wiring??
      Is the work clamp making good contact with the steel? Do you have proper wire feed tension on the drive roll? Are you sure you're getting 230v?
      Millermatic Passport Plus
      Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
      XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12RC
      Dynasty 300 DX
      Victor O/A
      Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

Hobsrt 187

Thanks crawler and cope, The polarity is correct (for DCEN)and wire appears to feed easily. I "think" I'm getting 230, hopefully it's the ground although I moved it to multiple areas w/same results. Nice to get reply from experts without sarcasm and insults like "Other" forums. I'm new at this and trying to learn. Appreciate the advice.

Comment

Be sure that the ground clamp is tight on the end of the cable also. You should be able to aim the gun at a 2x4 at a 45° angle and see the wire feed out to the board and then curl up.

Another thought, disconnect the power cord. Take the cover off the machine and make certain that all connections are tight. Some times things come loose in shipment.

Comment

Check this thread for a similar problem, in which a Hobart Expert offers several possible causes:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=31892

Personally, I'd skip straight to calling Hobart and talk with their tech guys.
            Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Just remember rust and or paint can make it feel like yo have a good ground and you don't. Ask me how I know? Good luck Tom

Comment

hobart 187

You all are great!! will check all suggestions when I get home today and let you know. GREAT FORUM

Comment

hobart 187

You all are great!! will check all suggestions when I get home today and let you know. GREAT FORUM

Comment

Make sure metal where you're trying to weld and where your ground clap is placed is CLEAN. No rust - bright, shiney metal.
                    -Bob (JalopyBldr)

HH187
                    13" SBL

Comment

Originally posted by Zrexxer View Post
                      Check this thread for a similar problem, in which a Hobart Expert offers several possible causes:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=31892

Personally, I'd skip straight to calling Hobart and talk with their tech guys.
                      Here's the toll-free phone number for technical support:

800-332-3281

Comment

When you get the initial spark, does the wire continue to feed against the plate or does the wire feed stop also?

Keith

Comment

Check your gun both ends, maybe the cable has been pulled out from one end,would normally be the plug end, check that the contactor is closing, if it is then you would be getting gas flow, if not no gas and no arc, or it may not be closing properly, also try moving the voltage selection switch to each position a few times then try welding again on each position, problem could be on the input side of switch if it hasnt been used for a while
                          Cheers

Comment

There one more question that I'd like to ask. I know it's pretty simplistic, but did you install the tip in the end of the gun.

I ask because we do get this type of question and find that there's no contact tip in the end of the gun. The contact tip creates the electrical contact with the welding wire, making it electrically hot.

Darrell

Comment

Working...
                            X