Snap On Muscle MIG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snap On Muscle MIG

There is a Snap On "Muscle MIG" for sale locally that I am not at all interested in buying, but the seller says he paid $2,900.00 for this 110 volt MIG!...Could that be true??!!
    "Good Enough Never Is"

yep...but he paid it in payments.....The truck can only allow so much on credit then over a certain $ amount the customer (rap vic. to be) has to go thru Snap-On and pay interest
    George W. Bush saving your butt whether you like it or not!
    If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    Thomas Paine
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 w S.G.
    Victor/Uniweld O/P
    Dewalt Chop Saw

Comment

Foot, welders are one place the tool truck guys really missed the boat, IMO. They don't make the machines of course, they just have someone brand them, but they pick some of the cheapest crap and they charge at least ten times what they're worth. The benefit to guys wrenching for a living, as Mike says, is that they will carry the note. "Su trabajo es su credito." "Aww, you don't need money, just a little bit a week." And the guys aren't welders and likely haven't done their homework about what they need.

So yes, it's very possible the poor schmuck paid waaaaay too much for a 110V mig. Their current 140A "MuscleMig" offering is in the catalog for $2963.65:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
      Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

WOW!!...its probably made in Italy, like the Blue Point Plasma Cutter I briefly owned....and HTP's are made in Italy...I wonder if they are the same manufacturer...I noticed that some HTP plasma consumables were listed for Snap On as well last time I looked.

That's about 5 or 6 HH140's! I know much of "the truck" guy's marketing strategy is peer pressure within the shop, where the use of Craftsman tools is openly ridiculed by all the debt-ridden schmucks who are proudly polishing their $600.00 wrenches. I would get run out on a $250.00 creeper (just a guess) if I rolled one of my boxes in there loaded down with Craftsman and Chinese tools...but they work for me!

"Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Excellent all true posts so far. The mechanics at the shop have not done the research for welders. This guy shows up once a week, tells the mechanic he can pay $20-50 a week. The poor guy pays twice for what the welder is worth compared to a Miller/Lincoln for half the welder. I will never spend another dime in those trucks. I have no life somedays and I'll type in Snap on welder on e-bay and see what astronomical prices are being paid for rebadged Century's.
          Millermatic 210
          Dynasty 200DX
          Fisher CZ-5....CZ-3D
          Trek 5500
          1966 Amphicar

Comment

They don't re-sell at very good prices. I've seen many go by for less than 1/4 of what they got soaked for in the first place...but even then, the victims are trying to sell at a price a brand spankin' new Hobart could be bought for.

My first plasma Cutter was a Bluepoint (Snap On's low line), that I bought for $250.00 (..or was it $600.00, I can't recall). It was a fine little Italian made unit, but to get it going (which required strange "push the tip in like plunger" motion) I called Snap On tech support or customer service, cannot recall which. The guy I was hooked up with was the rudest, most condecending slob I have ever dealt with over the phone...ever. He asked "if you didn't purchase it from a dealer (the truck driver), how do I know you didn't steal it? When I explained it came from ebay..."How do we know that guy didn't steal it"? I offered him the serial # so he could check to see...but he had no interest. He got me up and running, but what a JERK!
            I put it back on ebay, sold it, bought a brand new Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38, which was a fine unit!
            Also, Snap On dealers are not listed in my phone book, and there is no way to hook up with "My Local dealer" without following a truck.
            Last edited by Hotfoot; 02-02-2009, 12:44 PM.
            "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Did you catch the 100% duty cycle? That would be a huge turn on for me.

Comment

Worth an additional $2,400 to you? That makes one person, I guess.
                Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
                Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Most of the Snap Off welders are made by Systematics. They are good, well built welders, but don't have the marketing that the bigger companies do. Systematics actually made spool guns for all the major manufacturers at some point and time over the years. Look on Ebay and the Snap Off stuff still goes for higher used than what it's worth. Sometimes more than the other brands. See, you can get extra money for reputation
                  BUY AMERICAN... THE JOB YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN!!!!!

Hobart Champion 16
                  Miller external secondary contactor
                  stick foot pedal
                  remote voltage control(homemade)
                  Hobart Portafeed 17(w AG-2000 control box)
                  Bernard Q350 mig gun
                  Hobart AG-2000 pull gun
                  Lincoln Hi-Freq k799(yes, I know it's red)
                  Weldcraft CS300 tig torch
                  Miller RFC-23A foot pedal
                  Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 50
                  Victor 450/300 series torches
                  oodles of connecting cords

I can fix it, just pay me to replace it first

Comment

I'm amazed at what they want for used Snap-On tool boxes.

Willy

Comment

Originally posted by clinttaylor17 View Post
                      Email Hotfoot, and he can get you in touch with the seller.

Comment

I wonder if they call it a "muscle mig" because only people with with muscles instead of brain would buy one....
                        Millermatic Passport Plus
                        Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
                        XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12RC
                        Dynasty 300 DX
                        Victor O/A
                        Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

Hey Hotfoot,

Does it look similar to this one? My guess would be that you could order a new one, manufacturer direct, for a little more than half of what that guy wants for the Snap Off. Anybody interested, call (215)696-9040. The spool gun for it would be the same as the older Hobart.

Hobart Champion 16
                          stick foot pedal
                          Bernard Q350 mig gun
                          Hobart AG-2000 pull gun

Comment

100% duty cycle at 140A output and 120V input? Wow. And TIGs 1/4" steel, too? Wow.
                            Almost sounds too good to be true.
                            Where's it made?

Comment

MAC,
                              Far as I know, everything is made right there in Westchester, Pa. They used to be merged with CK products. You may have heard of CK Systematics. Some years back, they went their separate ways. CK kept the tig stuff, and Systematics kept the mig. They make a full line of mig machines, a couple feeders and a couple cv power sources. Plus pull gun and spool gun setups for just about any machine. Their pull and spool guns have been used by major manufacturers for years. ---Mike---

Hobart Champion 16
                              stick foot pedal
                              Bernard Q350 mig gun
                              Hobart AG-2000 pull gun

Comment

Working...
                              X