Smith machine torch
    LN-25 pro
    LF-72 feeder
    Edwards 65 ton
    5X10 CNC table
    Victor A-120
    Miller Shopmate 300DX
    S-74D feeder

Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

What's that, an X-box welder? Uuuuglie!
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------

Comment

Besides the obvious changes; such as, the color, name, and the toggle switches, what else is exactly different?

Honestly, I find the new Migmaster 275 intriguing. Considering the 250 already has a wind tunnel fan on it, I wonder what they supposedly did to increase the duty cycle from 80% to 100% at 200 amps.
      MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
      Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

The 275 does look improved, but how does it weld? Did they mess with the short-arc? Probably just rated it different. Look at the Mutimaster 300. It's the same machine as the 260 but rated higher. Right from the Esab rep. and he knows those machines inside and out.

The case on the 350 mpi has changed for the better. (Handles) It's missing all the extra slope settings that made the 350 mpi very adjustable. The CO2 is gone and that one made it weld like the MM-350 when using C-25. The aluminum slope is gone and it was very sweet to use. The steep slope is also gone for outstanding .023 MS or stainless welding.

Guess I will just stick with my Lincoln and it's 90 different slopes. (Just guessing on the # of them)
        Last edited by Brand X; 01-27-2009, 11:27 AM.
        Esab 2200 AC/DC
        Thermal 211i
        Thermal Pee-wee 85s
        Smith O/A plus mini torch
        Smith machine torch
        LN-25 pro
        LF-72 feeder
        Edwards 65 ton
        5X10 CNC table
        Victor A-120
        Miller Shopmate 300DX
        S-74D feeder

Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Scott,
          Do yourself a favor and don't ask Jimmy about his Invetec when you are over visiting. The cows will come home, leave for pasture the next morning and come dragging back in before he gets done showing you the slopes and options...no matter how much you beg him to stop!
          Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyoming View Post
            Scott,
            Do yourself a favor and don't ask Jimmy about his Invetec when you are over visiting. The cows will come home, leave for pasture the next morning and come dragging back in before he gets done showing you the slopes and options...no matter how much you beg him to stop!
            Roy,
            I believe he is down about 50 slopes to my red unit. He has more horse power (Sorry Dan) but less options. I even have a used LN-25 pro, so I can have two wires loaded and ready to go. The say it's rated for pulse but I don't really know why??
            Esab 2200 AC/DC
            Thermal 211i
            Thermal Pee-wee 85s
            Smith machine torch
            LN-25 pro
            LF-72 feeder
            Edwards 65 ton
            5X10 CNC table
            Victor A-120
            Miller Shopmate 300DX
            S-74D feeder

Comment

Originally posted by Brand X View Post
              The 275 does look improved, but how does it weld? Did they mess with the short-arc? Probably just rated it different. Look at the Mutimaster 300. It's the same machine as the 260 but rated higher. Right from the Esab rep. and he knows those machines inside and out.
              Scott,

I just did a little research, the Migmaster 250 and 275 both contain the same main tranformer , choke, and slope resistor. So with the 275 set for the steep slope I would expect the arc and weld puddle wet out to be similar on both units.
              MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
              Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

Wonder how it would compare to the 250+.
                Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dda52 View Post
                  Wonder how it would compare to the 250+.
                  Don,
                  I would not trade for one. The spray with the Aristo wire using the high inductance tap, is abut as good as it gets. I still like the 4 roll layout better. You can setup for four roll driven if you want too. Just use the 4hd feeder rolls and gears. Not needed but you can have it if you want it. Price might be ugly too? Still, you get burn-back and dual bottle rack with the plus. I would like to hear the fan on the new one. I bet it's loud like the standard. We will see/hear soon. Joel is bringing one in soon but has to sell a few older ones first.
                  Esab 2200 AC/DC
                  Thermal 211i
                  Thermal Pee-wee 85s
                  Smith machine torch
                  LN-25 pro
                  LF-72 feeder
                  Edwards 65 ton
                  5X10 CNC table
                  Victor A-120
                  Miller Shopmate 300DX
                  S-74D feeder

Comment

I don't think I would trade the Plus for anything. I just wondered about the comparison....new and improved usually isn't.
                    Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dda52 View Post
                      I don't think I would trade the Plus for anything. I just wondered about the comparison....new and improved usually isn't.
                      Good point but it does seem like a step up from the standard model. Although they do need to stop pimping the X stuff.
                      Esab 2200 AC/DC
                      Thermal 211i
                      Thermal Pee-wee 85s
                      Smith machine torch
                      LN-25 pro
                      LF-72 feeder
                      Edwards 65 ton
                      5X10 CNC table
                      Victor A-120
                      Miller Shopmate 300DX
                      S-74D feeder

Comment

I don't mind the pushing of the X stuff. What I mind is the price increase for the same machine with a different paint job. That irritates me.
                        Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Scott,

The P/N for the fan motor and blade are the same for the 250 and 275.

Don, if I didn't have the two four legged financial burdens, I wouldn't have any issues replacing a Migmaster 250 standard or Plus model with something like a Multimaster 260, Millermatic 350P , or Shopmate 300.

In the end, ESAB offering the Migmaster 250 and 275 doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I'm wondering if the 250 is being phased out? I wonder if this could be the reason why the asking price for the V/A meter and spot-stitch-burnback module for the 250 dropped so severely.

PM 180C

Comment

I could not get a answer about the fate of the standard. Dan, the Mutimaster is a real nice unit and for mild steel welding is hard to beat. The Migmaster will be one of those machines that would be really hard to beat, at least for very long term reliability. I doubt any of the others will ever match that area.
                            Esab 2200 AC/DC
                            Thermal 211i
                            Thermal Pee-wee 85s
                            Smith machine torch
                            LN-25 pro
                            LF-72 feeder
                            Edwards 65 ton
                            5X10 CNC table
                            Victor A-120
                            Miller Shopmate 300DX
                            S-74D feeder

Comment

Dunno. Phasing out good units never made any sense to me. Miller ditching the MM210 for instance.

Dan, from the slot on the 275, I wouldn't be surprised if it uses the same meter.
                              Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X