X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikeguthrie
    started a topic hobart 140 tip issues

hobart 140 tip issues

I have a hobart 140 with the small roll of flux core wire (2lb) .030 and tip size of .030 I can weld for about 2 min. and wire clogs in tip. I run a tip cleaner through it and I can weld another min. or two. would going to a tip size of .035 help this problem?

• Hotfoot
    replied
    ...Uhhhh...Mike...Did you say you welded a trailer hitch on with your 140?? It can be done, but is not recommended, especially for beginners!! there is a HUGE safety factor involved here!
    Last edited by Hotfoot; 01-24-2009, 11:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pangea
    replied
    Originally posted by weldrwomn View Post
    With a bigger tip, you won't have as good of feedability or as consistent of arc. You should use the proper sized tip for the wire.
    Okey dokey.

Leave a comment:

• weldrwomn
    replied
    Originally posted by Pangea View Post
    Try the bigger tip. You wont look back.
    With a bigger tip, you won't have as good of feedability or as consistent of arc. You should use the proper sized tip for the wire.

Leave a comment:

• KyHulton
    replied
    I was having a problem like that recently. I loosened up the wire spoil a little. Also try untwisting the hose the wire runs through to get to the handle. Sometimes if the hose is twisted it will make it harder for the wire to feed through. Its hard to tell if the hose is twisted because it does not look twisted from the outside.

Leave a comment:

• Pangea
    replied
    Try the bigger tip. You wont look back.

Leave a comment:

• mikeguthrie
    replied
    Thanks for the info! I have to put a new hitch on a trailer today and I will try it out. Thanks again!!

Leave a comment:

• Zrexxer
    replied
    Two things first: check that the tension on the spool hub isn't too tight... if the feed rollers are slipping because they can't drag wire off the roll, you'll get burnback to the tip. Same thing can happen if your wire's all tangled on the spool. Also, make sure your feed roll pressure isn't too tight. WIth cored wires, if you put too much pressure on them they will deform or "egg" slightly and it will cause jamming in the contact tip. Despite popular opinion, .030 tips are designed for .030 wire, if everything's correct there should be no need to use the wrong size tip to make it work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X