Help with NEW hobart 187

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with NEW hobart 187

I finally decided to get my own welder, so yesterday i bought the hobart handler 187, got a tank, went out today hooked it all up, started tack welding my cart together and the gas shutoff isnt working. At first i got a few nice tacks in and it was welding nice, but then i noticed the hissing sound coming from the tip, the gas isnt shutting off when i let go of the trigger.

I tapped on it where it connects to the back of the welder thinking the selenoid was stuck being new, but nothing, as soon as i adjust the guage up from zero its leaking out of the gun. Anyone have this problem? its saturday, the store is closed on weekends, and i have a custom vw beam to build for a customer. Wow, i know hobarts are good machines, guess i got the only defective one, sucks.

If you have any ideas, or helpful info, plz share, im pretty bummed out right now.

More than likely a small piece of debris is stuck in the gas solenoid valve.

If you have an air compressor, here's something to try. Remove the gas supply hose from the back of the unit. remove the wire from the machine. removed the contact tip. reinstall the gas nozzle. With the unit powered up, and the gun trigger depressed, try blowing air through the system from the gun end.

I'd set my output regulator on the compressor fairly low to do this.
    Last edited by Dan; 01-10-2009, 04:36 PM.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

"More than likely a small piece of debris is stuck in the gas solenoid valve."

Dan,
      Just wondering - what would be the source of the debris do you think - from manufacture of the solenoid, the gas tank, ??
      -Bob
      -Bob (JalopyBldr)

HH187
      13" SBL

Comment

Originally posted by JalopyBldr View Post
        "More than likely a small piece of debris is stuck in the gas solenoid valve."

Dan,
        Just wondering - what would be the source of the debris do you think - from manufacture of the solenoid, the gas tank, ??
        -Bob
        The most common cause discussed on this board has been from the gas supply hose.
        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Wow thanks guys, im sorry my first post on this forum was a problem i needed help with, but i sure do apprieciate it. Ill go give that a try with low pressure to see if i can free up any debris that might be holding up the solenoid. If that dosnt work, than i guess im taking it back on monday.

Thanks again, and i look forward to future posts that dont involve me asking for help , thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
          X