Newbie with wire feed problem- help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with wire feed problem- help!

Hi! I am a new welder, and just got a HH 187 for Xmas. I decided to play around with the flux core before investing (and possibly wasting) in a gas set up until I get some experience and feel comfortable with the equipment. Anyway, here are some issues I have. Any help is appreciated.

I started witht he .035 provided with the welder. I set the wire feed tension to 3, the voltage to 1 and the wire feed speed to 30. It went well...for about 10 seconds. Then the wire stopped feeding. So I went back to the welder and adjusted the tension again, went back to my piece, pulled the trigger, and same thing. Next time I went back, the wire had broken. So I rethreaded it, lowered to tightness of the spool, lightened up on the wire tension, and tried numerous times again. Next time, the wire would seem to get stuck after I welded for a few seconds, and I turned to look at the welder, and the wire had forced the other end of the hose out of it's seat and loops of wire were coming out of the wire feed area! I then changed to the .030 wire, and same thing happened.

So, my questions are...what am I doing wrong?! Should I just nix the flux core altogether? Is gas easier? And should I switch to a smaller wire? I am going to be using it mostly on auto sheet metal. What do I treat the nozzle with to prevent the wire from clogging it?
    Thanks for any help!

A few of things to check...

Is the polarity set for flux core? Look at the diagram inside the cover - it shows the correct polarity and how to change it.

The drive roller is reversible for different size wire. Make sure it is set for the size wire you are using. The .035 should be visible on the side of the roller when it is set for that size.

Check the contact tip (where the wire emerges from the gun) - make sure it is sized for the wire you are using. You might try a new tip in case the original was damaged.

You can get a special roller for flux core wire. It has serrations - for want of a better word - in the grooves.

Finally, and probably the root cause... Crank up the voltage and wire speed. Flux core is generally used for heavier welding. It can be used for thin sheet metal if you are really skilled (more than I am). Get a piece of scrap 1/8" or thicker and set the voltage tap and wire speed for that thickness based again on the diagram inside the cover. That should give you a good starting point.

Also keep the cable from the welder to the gun as straight as possible. Avoid sharp bends.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by mschargergarage View Post
      Next time, the wire would seem to get stuck after I welded for a few seconds, and I turned to look at the welder, and the wire had forced the other end of the hose out of it's seat and loops of wire were coming out of the wire feed area! I then changed to the .030 wire, and same thing happened.
      There's no way the drive roll system on the 187 has enough snot to push the back end of the gun out of the machine, unless it just isn't secured at all. Make sure the backend is fully seated and the thumbscrew is tight as shown in section 5-1 of your owner's manual.
      Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Agree with everything that taylorkh said,
        adding that it is common for people new
        to wire feeders to spend a lot of time
        unraveling birdsnests. It takes a bit of
        practice to get the hang of it.

One thing that will help to get the
        roller tension set up right is the "wood
        block test". The basic idea is to get
        the cable as straight as possible, point
        the gun at a block of wood and pull
        the trigger. You adjust the rollers
        so that they just start slipping then.
        There have been better/more-detailed
        explanations -- you can search for them
        on the site. Your manual may also give
        the information.

In general, the wire feed should not be
        able to force the liner/gas-hose "out of its seat".
        If that's happening, there could be an issue --
        perhaps some clamp is not as tight as it should be --
        But I have not used a HH187, so I could easily be
        wrong on this -- hopefully someone with experience
        on that machine can help you there.
        (Like Zrexxer said...)

Keep practicing, it will come...

Frank
        Last edited by fjk; 01-07-2009, 08:44 AM. Reason: Zrexxer posts faster than I do

Comment

Any chance you have a mig gun with a short liner installed? Some users have reported this problem. You might want to call Hobart if all else fails. They have excellent service.
          Millermatic Passport Plus
          Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
          XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12RC
          Dynasty 300 DX
          Victor O/A
          Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

Originally posted by mschargergarage View Post
            Hi! I am a new welder, and just got a HH 187 for Xmas. I decided to play around with the flux core before investing (and possibly wasting) in a gas set up until I get some experience and feel comfortable with the equipment. Anyway, here are some issues I have. Any help is appreciated.

I started witht he .035 provided with the welder. I set the wire feed tension to 3, the voltage to 1 and the wire feed speed to 30. It went well...for about 10 seconds. Then the wire stopped feeding. So I went back to the welder and adjusted the tension again, went back to my piece, pulled the trigger, and same thing. Next time I went back, the wire had broken. So I rethreaded it, lowered to tightness of the spool, lightened up on the wire tension, and tried numerous times again. Next time, the wire would seem to get stuck after I welded for a few seconds, and I turned to look at the welder, and the wire had forced the other end of the hose out of it's seat and loops of wire were coming out of the wire feed area! I then changed to the .030 wire, and same thing happened.

So, my questions are...what am I doing wrong?! Should I just nix the flux core altogether? Is gas easier? And should I switch to a smaller wire? I am going to be using it mostly on auto sheet metal. What do I treat the nozzle with to prevent the wire from clogging it?
            Thanks for any help!
            The machine should come with 0.030" wire, and not 0.035" wire. Did you try to bump up your wire speed? You could be getting burnback. Also make sure your stick out is between 3/8" and 1/2". A lot of people recommend 1/4" but in my opinion this is way too short... you can easily overheat the tip and cause the wire to become stuck. And also when you notice that the wire stopped feeding, take your finger off the trigger and try to find where it is getting stuck before your wire makes a mess again.
            Steve

Comment

Thanks for all the good replies! I emailed Hobart and he said the liner may be defective, since after the wire broke or tangled, I had to pull really hard to get the rest of the wire out of the gun! So it may be kinked. I will also try it with the settings higher. I will let oyu know how it goes!
              Thanks for the help!
              Deb

Comment

Working...
              X