Busted mig gun???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted mig gun???

Hey guys, I have a Lincoln ProMig 175. Just moved from La. to NC, and carred the welder in the back of the uhaul. I didn't remove the gun from the welder for transport (I know, I know) and when I went to unload it, the welder had shifted, and had about a 90 degree bend in the cable, right where it leaves the welder. Now when I squeeze the trigger, I don't see the spiral peice that runs through the cable turning. It should be turning right? Is there anything I can do to salvage the gun, or just get a new one? Is there a little motor inside the end of the cable, that turns the spiral liner? Thanx in advance...
    Lincoln Pro Mig 175
    DeWalt Sawsaw
    Craftsman 4" grinder

The liner should not turn, but it sounds like it is kinked. A new liner is cheap, and takes just a few minutes to install.

Comment

...thanx cope. I got the liner out, and it was a little kinked up at the top. I think wire will run through it still. I'm gonna hook it back up and give it a try...if not I'll get a new liner. Little embarrassed...I was thinking there was some "magic" inside the gun that helped the wire through
      Lincoln Pro Mig 175
      DeWalt Sawsaw
      Craftsman 4" grinder

Comment

If the liner is kinked even a little it's going to give you feeding problems. Go ahead and get another one, they're only about $12 or so. And no, the liner doesn't spin
        Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Zrexxer View Post
          And no, the liner doesn't spin
          Wailt a minute, it is a Lincoln.

Comment

Originally posted by cope View Post
            Wailt a minute, it is a Lincoln.
            Yea, that means it's a standard Tweco liner.
            Last edited by Brand X; 01-07-2009, 12:06 AM.
            Esab 2200 AC/DC
            Thermal 211i
            Thermal Pee-wee 85s
            Smith O/A plus mini torch
            Smith machine torch
            LN-25 pro
            LF-72 feeder
            Edwards 65 ton
            5X10 CNC table
            Victor A-120
            Miller Shopmate 300DX
            S-74D feeder

Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

I once kinked a liner while installing it and carefully fixed it with pliers to almost as good as new. Still works no problems. If you can get it back to original shape with same close spirals it should be ok. If it is stretched or flattened can be impossible to fix.

Comment

Working...
              X