Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help what spec on century welder 85 amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help what spec on century welder 85 amp.

One member from Mytractorforum told me check this for find info on welder. I must say this forum are USEFUL INFO so that should help me find spec for century welder.

Well I was consider buy century mig welder from craiglist. http://detroit.craigslist.org/tls/969052179.html

Talk to owner they say use 1 roll of wires that all. But I am not sure if it capable weld exhaust pipe I need to do on 3 trucks I blame for Michigan winter.

I have one century 80 amp I say very useless 2 heat range and 2 speed so it hard to weld no heat enough plus weld bead not hold good. That why I was consider buy this but need know what it capable weld how thick it.

They sent me pictures.

If all you do is exhaust pipe this welder should work. If it were me I would look at a 140 amp MIG that way yo can do other things other than thin sheet or pipe. 140 amo is about the biggest you can get for a 120 volt. Anything bigger yo would have to go to 220. Hope this helps.
    MM211 MVP/AS
    lots of hand tools
    few power tools
    all my toys

Comment

you mean Hobalt 140

Ok i save money and try find one that you tell what i need. I used to have lincoln 135 pro it work ok but not for frame or big stuff it not weld bead strong.

I can't have 220 amps. Dad say NO 220 volts.

Comment

YO can look at either a hobart 140 or a millermatic 140. If yo young and still living at home be prepared to spend about 500-600 bucks if yo go with one of the good ones as mentioned above. You might be able to check harbour freight or northern tool for a cheaper one but I am a firm believer of yo get what you pay for. I am currently saving for a HH187 my self. Check TSC website for the hobart they seem to have the best price. Heres the link.
        http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...g=true&cFlag=1
        You might want to get some solid wire and set yourself up with gas the welds are so much cleaner and easier.
        If yo need anymore assistance pm me your number and I will call you. Greg
        MM211 MVP/AS
        lots of hand tools
        few power tools
        all my toys

Comment

TSC also has a maxus pro 140 for $319.99 that has a 140 amp output that might be worth looking into.

Comment

If the Century 80 is "useless" becaus eof its heat range capabilities, this 85 amo should not be expected to be much better. A HH140 would be the Holy Grail for 110 volts, but a Hobart 125 EZ, which is flux core only, goes for $290.00 (reconditioned)...
            http://www.toolking.com/hobartwelders_500521a.aspx

...it is given a pretty good rating by some members for simple stuff like exhaust pipes and brackets....but don't count on doing anything thicker., or sheet metal with any flux core wire machine...you'll have to go solid wire and gas for that...
            "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

You say this one would not weld exhaust pipe with flux?

i am try avoid pay gas tank they cost $80 for small tank.

I can't afford $300 but I thought this one would be ok for weld light stuff like exhaust pipe.

And I am deaf plus 18 years old.

Comment

Nope. You said your 80 amp was useless, because it did not have enough heat. This one is only 5 amps more. I said gas was needed for sheet metal. Flux core will do exhaust...just a bit more splatter.
                "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

The exhaust pipe is about all it would do. You can run flux with the 140 amp. You can also run gas at a later time when you can save or find a good deal on a tank you like. Then again like it was said earlier the 85 amp will be no better that your 80 amp. If all your going to run is flux go with the ez125 look at other fourms and this one and you might be able to find someone who is upgrading and selling there smaller machine for a good price.
                  MM211 MVP/AS
                  lots of hand tools
                  few power tools
                  all my toys

Comment

Maybe I try find way to get money then buy one that you suggested.

but hope find on craiglist for less price.

Comment

Good luck with finding a used one. Most people who get these keep them untill they die, then pass it on. I have been checking craigslist and ebay for the past month and most of the used ones on ebay end up costing more once you pay shipping. People on craigslist think their stuff is "one of a kind" and ask way too much for it. sometimes you can find deals but you have to act quick. I will let yo know if I find something you might be interested in. Keep in touch with your projects. And if your up to the task I need a complete exhaust system for my jeep built from the colectors back. Good luck keep in touch.
                      MM211 MVP/AS
                      lots of hand tools
                      few power tools
                      all my toys

Comment

You can only get so much heat out of a 120 volt/20 amp circuit even if the the welder is a model 12000 amp.
                        Miller 251
                        Miller Synchrowave 250 DX
                        Hobart Fabricator/No. 27 feeder
                        Hypertherm 45 Powermax
                        Hypertherm 190C
                        Miller XP 130
                        Princess Auto 400 amp DC Diesel Generator/project

Comment

I have a centry 155GL that I will sell locally. No shipping and handling

Comment

Working...
                          X