HH187 PWR Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH187 PWR Requirements

Looking at getting the HH187 here soon and while checking the garage for a 220 outlet I came across this funky round outlet. Checking the breaker and with the builders of the complex I know its a 220v on a 20 amp breaker. If I adapt the outlet to work with the plub on the welder would it work. I know that the problem is with the breaker only being 20 amps and the wiring is probally the same wire that is used on 110v outlets. Just wandering if I can safetly run the machine without causing a fire.
    MM211 MVP/AS
    lots of hand tools
    few power tools
    all my toys

The owner's manual calls for a 25 amp time delay breaker feeding 14 ga. minimum wiring to the receptacle. Your close enough right now with a 20 amp breaker on all but wide out welding. Do yourself a favor and check to see what gauge wiring you have to the receptacle...should be listed on the sheathing of the wire. If it is 14 ga. or larger...numerically smaller...install a 25 amp breaker and you should be good to go. Don't remember seeing a heck of a lot of selection down at the local box store for 25 amp breakers, so if the gauge wiring will support it, go with a 30 amp breaker...welder will only draw the max amps whatever the breaker installed.
    Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

I checked the wiring and on the wires them selves I did not see any markings. How ever I see a cover over the wire that said 12/2. Am I too assume that this is a 12 guage wire. If that is the case I onle need to change the recipical it self right. Let me know before I start a fire. LOL.

Greg
      MM211 MVP/AS
      lots of hand tools
      few power tools
      all my toys

Comment

If the complex you are in is owned by someone else, I advise you to tell them what you are planning on doing before you set about changing their outlets...just my 2 cents worth! That 187 is great machine, from what I read!
        Last edited by Hotfoot; 01-02-2009, 07:04 PM.
        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Its military housing so they shouldn't have a problem with it their concern is if it is safe or not which is my concern as well.
          MM211 MVP/AS
          lots of hand tools
          few power tools
          all my toys

Comment

That machine will run fine from a 12/20 circuit. If I am tailor wiring I use a 10 wire and a 30A.
            http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Originally posted by ZnUSA View Post
              However I see a cover over the wire that said 12/2. Am I too assume that this is a 12 guage wire.
              Yes. But you need the third (ground) wire to do it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                Yes. But you need the third (ground) wire to do it properly.
                You should have a ground with 12/2. 12/2 should be two coated wires and a uncoated ground wire.
                Mike

HH210 & 3035 Spool Gun
                HTP 221 Tig
                Powermax 30 plasma
                HF bandsaw
                HF hood

Comment

That is correct I have 3 wires 2 black coated and one uncoated. So all I need to do is change the reciptical and everything will be ok? I will not be running the machine to its limits so I think the 20A breaker will be fine. The thickest I would be welding in the near future will be 3/16 carbon steel.
                  MM211 MVP/AS
                  lots of hand tools
                  few power tools
                  all my toys

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb9550 View Post
                    12/2 should be two coated wires and a uncoated ground wire.
                    You're right of course. Sorry!

Comment

Thank you all very much. Now I just need to get the welder hopefully I can get it soon. Have lots of work that needs done and only a little time to do before I go out of town for a few months.
                      MM211 MVP/AS
                      lots of hand tools
                      few power tools
                      all my toys

Comment

Working...
                      X