Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH175 to Weld Aluminum

Hello All,

I just purchased a new HH175 (closeout) and am working to learn to weld steel. Recently upgraded from a 120V model. A friend is willing to outfit it to weld AL, but I'm not sure what I need. I think I need a spool gun, new gas and some type of control module for the welder. He's willing to pay, I just have to give him a price. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    pat
    PJ
    HH -175
    KArc - 100

Originally posted by PJHH175 View Post
    Hello All,

I just purchased a new HH175 (closeout) and am working to learn to weld steel. Recently upgraded from a 120V model. A friend is willing to outfit it to weld AL, but I'm not sure what I need. I think I need a spool gun, new gas and some type of control module for the welder. He's willing to pay, I just have to give him a price. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    pat

Just added a Miller 3035 Spool Gun to my HH175. Check out this post I did and it will tell you what you'll need. I bought my Spool Gun new off Ebay for $375, but new from a dealer is close to $500, you'll also need the SGA100 control box, that's another $275, plus a bottle of 100% Argon. And that's it other than a spool of aluminum wire.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=32694

Comment

The cheapest way is to buy a modified miller kit on ebay for 370.00. To do it the proper way will cost you like 600.00 or 700.00 once you buy the controller and spool gun. You must have a nice friend. You would be better off returning it and buying a HH210 and a spool gun from Tractor Supply. Probably will cost you less and have a nicer setup. That is if you are going to do a lot of aluminum.

If it were me and was just going to do a little, I would just try buying some aluminum wire and feeding it through your gun. Do a search, there are some wire types that feed better than others through the factory guns. Some have also used a different liner.

Ohh, forgot, you need a bottle of 100% argon either way you go....
      Last edited by mikeb9550; 01-01-2009, 08:58 AM.
      Mike

HH210 & 3035 Spool Gun
      HTP 221 Tig
      Powermax 30 plasma
      HF bandsaw
      HF hood

Comment

Working...
      X