Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH187 - Oh My!

New here, been lurking for awhile.

Just hooked up a brand new HH187 tonight w/.030 solid and 75/25. Moved up from my 125ez that I got a couple years ago (I'll never get rid of that one, too convenient) and an old beat up linkn SP170T (has a problem feeding, probably needs a new liner). Ran a few quick beads and all I can say is OH MY!!!!! this thing is definately wow, the arc is very smooth and consistent compared to the old linkn, Waaaaaay different. Was thinking that I might have a little remorse for not getting the HH210 (I needed it this weekend for a project I am in the middle of and could not find a 210 on the shelf anywhere). I saved some money and I think the 187 will work very well for me.

I was offered a MM180 w/autoset (not sure I need or would like) from my LWS at about the same price as the HH210 and figured that for several hundred less the 187 was the way to go.

Read lots of good stuff on here, thanks for all the good posts. I am sure I will have some q's as I move ahead with this machine.
    HH187
    HH125EZ
    Old Miller TBolt AC/DC
    LINKN SP170T

Bosco welcome to the boards! , I know when I bought my new welder I couldn't believe how much better it welded ,compared to my old welder , its like a whole new ballgame,Craig.
    Hobart Handler 210 mig , 80cf bottle of C-25 mix
    Bokrand GmbH pocket mig , 110v
    Clarke 101E stick , 110v
    Craftsman 10" drill press
    Craftsman 12" bandsaw
    HF 12 ton hydraulic press
    Black Max 6hp 60gal air compressor
    2 4 1/2" grinders
    Porter Cable 1410 ,cold cut chop saw
    Makita 14" ,abrasive chop saw
    50ft 8/3 extension cord
    Makita saw
    Arctic Cat generator with adapter cable for welder.
    Eastwood 135 mig 110v , 20cf bottle C-25 mix

Comment

Welcome to the board

I agree, my HH187 makes me look good !!
      -Bob (JalopyBldr)

HH187
      13" SBL

Comment

This is AWESOME

I was just thinking of posting a thread trying to decide on which welder to get. I am new to welding formally trained to TIG wld with the Navy. I want to teach my self how to MIG weld ot home so that I can finish building my Jeep as well as fix my 26 foot enclosed trailer. I was debating between the MM180 with autoset and a cart for $850.00 and a HH187 with a cart for $730.00. After reading this I thing I will save myself $120.00 and get the HH187. Any other advice would be much aperciated.
        MM211 MVP/AS
        lots of hand tools
        few power tools
        all my toys

Comment

I purchased the HH187 at TSC for $599 and I built a cart today for it that cost me $20 and it is exactly how I wanted it with built in storage. I was quoted over $900 out the door for MM180 w/autoset with no other add-ons (cart ect....). That is about what the HH210 ($899 + tax) would have cost me if they had one at TSC, which they were out of stock for now. They did not even have the HH187 on the shelf, but in the back as the truck just came in that afternoon, and it was the only one they got. So for me it was just over a $200 savings compared to the MM180. I am afraid that I might has sprung the extra $$$ if they had had an HH210, just too tempting, but I am not at all disappointed with the 187.

I used the HH187 all day today and you won't be sorry, it is a super sweet machine and makes some really nice multiple pass welds on the thicker stuff. It is very smooth on the low end as well. after playing with the settings, and seeing its responsiveness and versatility, I know now that I would not have even used autoset. I don't know if I will use my old Tbolt stick welder again!!!!
          Can't imagine what I couldn't do with the HH125ez and the HH187.

BTW, thanks to those who welcomed me.
          HH187
          HH125EZ
          Old Miller TBolt AC/DC
          LINKN SP170T

Comment

Originally posted by BOSCO View Post
            I purchased the HH187 at TSC for $599 and I built a cart today for it that cost me $20 and it is exactly how I wanted it with built in storage. I was quoted over $900 out the door for MM180 w/autoset with no other add-ons (cart ect....). That is about what the HH210 ($899 + tax) would have cost me if they had one at TSC, which they were out of stock for now. They did not even have the HH187 on the shelf, but in the back as the truck just came in that afternoon, and it was the only one they got. So for me it was just over a $200 savings compared to the MM180. I am afraid that I might has sprung the extra $$$ if they had had an HH210, just too tempting, but I am not at all disappointed with the 187.

I used the HH187 all day today and you won't be sorry, it is a super sweet machine and makes some really nice multiple pass welds on the thicker stuff. It is very smooth on the low end as well. after playing with the settings, and seeing its responsiveness and versatility, I know now that I would not have even used autoset. I don't know if I will use my old Tbolt stick welder again!!!!
            Can't imagine what I couldn't do with the HH125ez and the HH187.

BTW, thanks to those who welcomed me.

You have to post pics of the cart.. I am about to build one myself. Did you buy the steel new? I have to draw something up and get a material list together.
            Mike

HH210 & 3035 Spool Gun
            HTP 221 Tig
            Powermax 30 plasma
            HF bandsaw
            HF hood

Comment

Mike,

I will post pics later today and hope I don't embarass myself with my simple, cheap and functional set up. took a couple of hours to set up. Materials used were all things I had lying around and include:

1. a 500# plastic over steel furniture platform dolly from HF: $10

2. a old but new condition 2 drawer metal filing cabinet that was in my shop and given to me when a friend moved (actually have two of them) and my welding helmet and lots of other stuff fits in the drawers.

3. various pieces of scrap angle and 1" sqaure tubing.

This was inspired by a pic I saw somewhere and I had the file cabinets sitting on the dollys before so I could move them easily out of my way when they were full instead of dragging them across the floor. I picked the dollys up at HF a while ago on special 2 for $20 for setting heavy stuff that I needed to move around my shop.
              HH187
              HH125EZ
              Old Miller TBolt AC/DC
              LINKN SP170T

Comment

Here are some pics, hope I don't embarass myself!!!!
                HH187
                HH125EZ
                Old Miller TBolt AC/DC
                LINKN SP170T

Comment

If it works for you, the price was right and you are happy with it than don't let anyone tell you that it is anything but the ultimate solution. That said, you might want to add a couple of sections of square tube under the cart as outriggers stretching outward a few more inches and install the wheels you have now so the cart isn't too tippy...2 X 4s work as well.
                  Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Wyoming,

I was planning on doing that at first when I made this thing, but amazingly it is not tippy at all, the wheels must be set apart just right for the center of gravity of the set up. I spent all day moving it all over the shop welding everything I could and not a problem one!!!! Just need more trigger time to get more proficient and quit clogging my tip up.
                    HH187
                    HH125EZ
                    Old Miller TBolt AC/DC
                    LINKN SP170T

Comment

Embarass yourself??? FILE it under AWESOME!!!!
                      Hobart 140 Victor O/A 450series Milwaukee sawzall Drill press Chinese sandblaster
                      Dewalt chop saw

Comment

I like the file cabinet idea. clean storage for tools and such.

Comment

That is a pretty slick idea!
                          Hobart Handler 210 mig , 80cf bottle of C-25 mix
                          Bokrand GmbH pocket mig , 110v
                          Clarke 101E stick , 110v
                          Craftsman 10" drill press
                          Craftsman 12" bandsaw
                          HF 12 ton hydraulic press
                          Black Max 6hp 60gal air compressor
                          2 4 1/2" grinders
                          Porter Cable 1410 ,cold cut chop saw
                          Makita 14" ,abrasive chop saw
                          50ft 8/3 extension cord
                          Makita saw
                          Arctic Cat generator with adapter cable for welder.
                          Eastwood 135 mig 110v , 20cf bottle C-25 mix

Comment

Nice cart. We see a lot of them here but that is as good as any and worth copying. Its easy to want to get carried away with custom fabrication but that is the concept I follow a lot more later in my career, as easy as possible and cheap too. Minimal painting, wheels at the right price, good solid idea. Enclosed storage space too boot. Fab time is minimal.
                            http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

I like the file cabinet cart idea! It will keep your welding helmet and other goodies out of the inevitable grinding dust! Now go out and weld some more stuff so you can enjoy your new purchase
                              Mig - Hobart 187
                              Plasma - Miller 375

Comment

Working...
                              X