Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Century 117-050 100A mig Problem

Evening all...

Have a 100A Century mig (117-050 century, 20111 sears or 83085 century unit) that doesn't seem to have to correct amperage output, can't burn through .05 sheet metal on heat setting 4!

took it apart this evening to check the button diodes in the rectifier, they pass the meter check.

any thoughts?

PS is the reactor coil a type of inductor used as a filter similar to a cap in a normal power supply to filter out AC?

Anyone know what the output should be on each of the ac taps on the power setting switch at the gun tip?

Thanks load guys!!!

Originally posted by techsol View Post
    Evening all...

Have a 100A Century mig (117-050 century, 20111 sears or 83085 century unit) that doesn't seem to have to correct amperage output, can't burn through .05 sheet metal on heat setting 4!

took it apart this evening to check the button diodes in the rectifier, they pass the meter check.

any thoughts?

PS is the reactor coil a type of inductor used as a filter similar to a cap in a normal power supply to filter out AC?

Anyone know what the output should be on each of the ac taps on the power setting switch at the gun tip?

Thanks load guys!!!

Reactor, no, it's not gonna filter out AC. AC taps can be tested (carefully) with the unit on if you know what you're doing. Test tap-to-tap on each setting and divide by 2 for approx OCV at tip. I doubt it's the reactor or trans.
    Check volts at the tip on the gun to the ground clamp in all power settings. Test in both AC and DC range. That will tell ya without having to tear the machine apart. Release the drive roll tension so you aren't spooling out wire.
    I NEED MORE COWBELL!!!

'Red' Powcon 300ST (no torch yet)
    (ok, not really a 'Red'... )
    'Blue' Miller 35 (older than me and runs great), Thunderbolt AC arc (ditto)
    'Craftsman' AC arc (who made this originally?)
    O/A x 2 (both smaller than I'd like)
    14" Milwaukee chopper
    20t HF press (crap, but works)
    Buffalo forge w/ blower
    Alot of pumps!

"All of us know more than any of us."- TexHand

Comment

It won't burn through the metal...but does it lay a bead?
      "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

I'll have to check the voltages on the taps.

As far as running a bead, on high heat setting 4, I'm lucky to be able to puddle a bead with any surface penatration, at best!

I'm surprised there is not cap filter for the supply voltage!

I've already torn it apart to check the full wave rectifiers, meter check their good, thought I was going to see one half the full wave gone, its a 6 and 6 diode configuration full wave design. I thought orriginally I'd find the diodes open on one side and maybe look to replace them with stud rectifiers if possible but found them OK, at least as a metered diode test.

Don't see any overheating of the reactor or main transformer, discoloring , at least

Any thoughts would surely be helpful.

Comment

Take the gun apart at the handle and at the input connector to check if the powercable is frayed or broken at these points. We have seen several of these that wear by flexing over the years and the result is what you describe.
          O.F.

Comment

OF Thanks , will look at it today!

Comment

Fixed!!!!!

Missing ground caused the neutral side to float , fixed the ground on the ac line and she's all better!!!

Thanks all

PS if anybody needs schematic or manual for 117-050, 20111, or compatible, let me know!

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X