Rookie welder...Rookie questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie welder...Rookie questions.

Cool site. Learning lots from all you guys.
    I'm looking at the HH210. It's got pretty much everything I need, to do what I like...fabricate, hobby. Question is...when I price check a Lincoln 180 against a HH187 the difference is about $200...putting the HH higher. Not much, but...are the gears stronger, better options with the HH? The sale price on the HH210 is $899 right now. I like the setting controls on the HH and the overall design and color layout.
    Any feed back would be appreicated.
    Keep in mind I live in Canada...the pricing I talked about are in CAD funds.
    HOBART HANDLER 210
    HYPERTHERM PM 30
    14" DEWALT CHOP
    HORIZONTAL BAND SAW
    INGERSOLL RAND 5HP 2 STAGE

Get the 210. You'll never look back and wish you had...
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Well the color layout is of course my first priority when making major purchases. I also like to coordinate my outfits to the task at hand.
      First you have to nail down which 180Amp Lincoln machine you are comparing the HH187 to, as there are 6 different 180 models in Lincolns line up.
      When you buy a Hobart or Miller you don't have to participate in a shell game like Lincoln make you play. Oh under which cover is the diamond core which has the better wire drive, etc. If funds are not a problem get the HH210 you won't be sorry, otherwise get the HH187.

Comment

Hobart IS Miller as far as warranty goes. They are excellent and go out of their way to keep customers happy. I am just starting out with Lincoln, but my first few warranty claims went thru without a hitch. Any of these are a good choice, depending on your personal requirements.
        As a welder tech, I consider warranty service a priority. Most new rigs come with a 3 year warranty. If you are treated well during this, the welder should last a lifetime.

Comment

IMO, the HH 187 will serve all your needs.
          Lincoln Idealarc 250
          Miller Bobcat 250
          Thermal arc Hefty 2 feeder
          Thermal Dynamics Cusmaster 52
          Torchmate CNC Table

Comment

Rookie figured it out...Marketing anyways.

I believe I have figured out why the Lincoln "Mig Pak" 180 was so much cheaper than the HH 187. I was comparing Canadian Tires Lincoln to Peavy Marts Hobart and found the difference. Not knowing there were so many Lincoln 180's out there, the one I was looking at is exclusive to Canadian Tire (a Canadian hardware store) built just for them. It is a basic homeowner do-it-yourself, use it once in awhile welder...not comparable with the 180C. The 180C is very close in price to the HH187. So I guess the lesson here is, don't go on price alone...read the fine print.
            That being said, I'm going with the HH210.

Thanx for all your suggestions.

Weld On!
            HOBART HANDLER 210
            HYPERTHERM PM 30
            14" DEWALT CHOP
            HORIZONTAL BAND SAW
            INGERSOLL RAND 5HP 2 STAGE

Comment

I just got the HH210 and love it. Havent used it a ton yet but have a bunch of projects lined up. I too asked the same questions before I bought. The price difference was more compared to the 187 but its worth it just in the post mortem envy (or lack of). Truth is that the 187 will probaby do what you want but its nice having the extra power there in case something heavy comes up.
              Mike

HH210 & 3035 Spool Gun
              HTP 221 Tig
              Powermax 30 plasma
              HF bandsaw
              HF hood

Comment

I think the 210 is the right choice. If found that anything under is good for 'most stuff' around the garage but it leaves you wanting that lil bit extra that the 210 gives you. Enjoy !
                www.zookpower.ca

Comment

The HH210 is a good solid machine.
                  Hobart Handler 210 mig , 80cf bottle of C-25 mix
                  Bokrand GmbH pocket mig , 110v
                  Clarke 101E stick , 110v
                  Craftsman 10" drill press
                  Craftsman 12" bandsaw
                  HF 12 ton hydraulic press
                  Black Max 6hp 60gal air compressor
                  2 4 1/2" grinders
                  Porter Cable 1410 ,cold cut chop saw
                  Makita 14" ,abrasive chop saw
                  50ft 8/3 extension cord
                  Makita saw
                  Arctic Cat generator with adapter cable for welder.
                  Eastwood 135 mig 110v , 20cf bottle C-25 mix

Comment

Originally posted by TimGa View Post
                    I believe I have figured out why the Lincoln "Mig Pak" 180 was so much cheaper than the HH 187. I was comparing Canadian Tires Lincoln to Peavy Marts Hobart and found the difference. Not knowing there were so many Lincoln 180's out there, the one I was looking at is exclusive to Canadian Tire (a Canadian hardware store) built just for them. It is a basic homeowner do-it-yourself, use it once in awhile welder...not comparable with the 180C. The 180C is very close in price to the HH187. So I guess the lesson here is, don't go on price alone...read the fine print.
                    That being said, I'm going with the HH210.

Thanx for all your suggestions.

Weld On!
                    I believe that's the situation here in the states with Lincolns purchased from Home Depot...look the same, but have different model #'s...that's both stick and MIG. Others have posted to this effect in the past, anyways.
                    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Working...
                    X