New HH 210- wire feed problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New HH 210- wire feed problem

I've just assembled a new HH210. There is a wire feeding problem: it's too easy to stop the wire (either by fingers or during the wood plank test while adjusting the rollers pressure). When there is no resistance, wire feeding seems to be OK (as far as I can tell without performing any welding test).

The grooved roller is attached correctly. When the rollers are pressed together somewhere between #3 and #4 units of pressure and a small resistance to the wire is created, the motor behaves like it's overloaded and, finally, rollers stop rotating.

The spool is not tight, the solid wire is clean, there are no cross windings, replacement/removal of the contact tip doesn't help. I can pull the wire from the nozzle end (after opening the rollers) and feel no catching inside the liner. I, finally, attached my old HH187 gun, but it didn't solve the problem either.

Apparently, the problem is either in the motor or the feeding assembly.

When I press the trigger I can see sparks produced by the feeder motor (see part 43 in http://www.hobartwelders.com/om/part...78b_pt_hob.pdf). The sparks can be seen through the slot as pictured on the photo I attached. Is this sparking normal for the welder? Does your HH210 feeder motor produces spark when you press the trigger?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm going to call Hobart tomorrow, but until then I'd like to hear your opinions. I wouldn't like to open the unit since it's brand new and, if faulty, should be replaced, IMO.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 12-28-2008, 09:42 PM.

MichaelP, when I first got mine over a year ago I noticed the sparks too coming from inside the motor around the brushes. I figured it was just the motor getting broke in. After using it a while it seemed to get better. The motor on these units and I think Miller is using the same drive motor just a different drive roller housing, is small. So it might be possible to make the motor come to a stop. I used to have a MM 172 Challenger that had very stout motor. It bent the wire with no problem. I don't even bother doing the wood bit. I watch the reel spin, and I put a little drag on it with palm of my hand. If it doesn't slip than it's good to go. I always adjust to about a little over halfway, and never have a problem. Still wouldn't hurt to call Hobart and get their input. The HH 210 should feed just like your HH 187 did. If it doesn't than it could be a faulty motor. Hope I helped you out.
    Good luck and take care, Steve
    Last edited by Steve W; 12-28-2008, 11:30 PM.
    Steve W

Millermatic 211i
    Hypertherm Powermax 380
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC arc welder
    Lincoln AC 225 arc welder
    Victor O/A torch setup
    Gentec O/A torch setup

Comment

Thank you, Steve! I compare the feeding with the one of HH140 or HH187, and it's not even close. However, I followed you approach which made a perfect sense and then tried welding. Looks like the machine welds just fine.

Thanks again!
      Last edited by MichaelP; 12-29-2008, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Then it must be the motor or power going to it. I really like my HH210, so I think you will too once you get to welding with it. Please let us know how it works out, what the problem was.
        Take care, Steve
        Last edited by Steve W; 12-28-2008, 11:47 PM.
        Steve W

Millermatic 211i
        Hypertherm Powermax 380
        Victor O/A torch setup
        Gentec O/A torch setup

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
          Thank you, Steve! I compare the feeding with the one of HH140 or HH18. It's not even close. However, I followed you approach which made a perfect sense and then tried welding. Looks like the machine welds just fine.

Thanks again!
          Your welcome, glad to help
          Steve W

Millermatic 211i
          Hypertherm Powermax 380
          Victor O/A torch setup
          Gentec O/A torch setup

Comment

I've just spoken to Bill at Hobart tech support. He almost 100% sure that the problem is in the liner. One of the tests he asked me to perform was to open the rollers, straighten the liner and try pulling the wire out of the gun with just two fingers. He said it could normally be done quite easily and without any significant squeezing of the wire. In my case I had to squeeze my fingers very hard yet pulling was possible only when the spool was fully relaxed (more than it should be). This made Bill almost certain that the problem was in the liner. The fact that I already tried to replace the whole gun assembly didn't change Bill's opinion. He suggested to start with a new liner and see how it works.

As for the sparking, he said it was normal, especially for a new motor. Which is exactly what you said.

He also mentioned that the motors on these units have an overload protection that shuts the motor off when its current draw increases to a particular point.

Meanwhile he's going to send me a new gun so that I could test the welder again. Let's wait and see how it'll work.
            Last edited by MichaelP; 01-02-2009, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Micheal, I went out tonight and bumped the trigger about 6 times to make the drive motor turn. Their was no wire on the liner to push, but I only saw one tiny spark for a instance around the brushes one time. The rest of the time was clean and no sparks. Big difference from when it was new. I have run about 10 lbs. of wire through it since it was bought. The motor runs very smooth. That tells me that its normal on a new motor until it breaks in. For the year I have had mine, the motor has run flawlessly. I have built 4 pickup truck headache racks and some other things with it. One way or another, Hobart will get you fixed up and running.
              Take care, Steve
              Last edited by Steve W; 12-29-2008, 08:40 PM.
              Steve W

Millermatic 211i
              Hypertherm Powermax 380
              Victor O/A torch setup
              Gentec O/A torch setup

Comment

Thanks, Steve!

Comment

The problem has been solved. Bill was kind enough to send me a replacement gun overnight. That cured the problem completely.

That's kind of a support I wish I could see with some other companies nowdays. Impressive, indeed!

Comment

Not so very surprising to those who have been around Hobart for awhile, but nevertheless, yes, it's pretty much the gold standard in customer service. Glad they got you up and running.
                    Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
                    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Working...
                    X