Extension cord help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension cord help

I need some help with making the a cord for my HH187. I weld outside in the drive way scince all I have is tool shed the plug is by the door but I'm on a short leash. I have some 3p/3w twist locl plugs and 25' of 10/4 wire. I need some twist lock receptacles I think. Emailed Hobart and they said it only void the warrenty of the cord not the machine if I change it. However I would like to be able to run it off my generator witch only has a 20a receptacle. I'm confused on what plugs and ends to use.

Jeremy

I'm not sure I understood your question, but I'd leave the original machine plug on and just install a proper outlet (NEMA 6-50R)
    on the wall (check http://www.frentzandsons.com/Hardwar...nfiguratio.htm ).

My extension cord would have NEMA 6-50R (receptacle) and NEMA 6-50P (plug). This way you'll be able to use your welder with or without the extension cord.

If your generator has a different socket, make an adaptor (short cable with a plug that will fit the generator outlet and a socket (NEMA 6-50R)
    that will fit the welder or the extension cord).

P.S. Naturally, there are many other ways and combinations that you can choose depending on your needs. For example, if you use the present wall outlet for something else, you may elect to leave is as is and make another adaptor. Or put a suitable plug on your extension cord and similar receptacle on the generator adaptor.

All the sockets and plugs (both wall and cable mounted) can be bought at TSC (check their welding isle), Home Depot or Lowe's in addition to any electrical supply shop.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 12-27-2008, 01:12 PM.

Comment

But the 20A plugs and #10 wire are good to go, just make your adapters. You'll have an extra wire in that cord, though, so don't use the white. Use black and red for the two hots and green for the ground.

Comment

To start with, you don't need a 4 conductor wire - just 3, 2 hots and a ground.
        If the cord is going to be dedicated to the welder, you can get by with using a 10/3 cord and putting the 6-50 plug and receptacle on the ends. However, this is only good to 30 amps and could be dangerous if someone else decided to use if to power something else to 50 amps.
        You can purchase an extension cord for the welder. They are available online at http://www.gts-welco.com/gtsweldssto...il.aspx?ID=527, and plenty of other places.
        And finally, the generator. If your generator only has a 20 amp plug, it probably won't power the welder unless you keep the amps down low on the welder. If you have a 5000-5500 generator, it probably has a 30 amp twistloc receptacle - if so, make up a short pigtail to go from the generator to the 6-50 plug.
        It's all doable and your LWS should be able to help you our getting the right plug and receptacles if you can't find them on your own.
        Last edited by BillyP; 12-28-2008, 06:01 AM. Reason: fix link

Comment

I have done this with my HH140 and MM210, and with both machines I replaced the OEM cord with a 25' one. If you really want to use an extension cord, buy one of the pre made ones from Ram Welding Supply.

https://secure.ramweldingsupply.com/...iew.mcic?s=233

Comment

I already had the cable and the male twistlocks, I have a 5250w generator, It has a 4 conductor 20amp plug. I will make some pigtails so I can use it for any source I have I guess. There are too many options. Thanks for the help.

Jeremy

Comment

Working...
            X