New user, handler on the way, fab questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New user, handler on the way, fab questions

First off I am new to the forums. I am a newbie to welding but have done it with both arc and mig and have decided I wanted a gas machine. I work on jeeps and offroading vehicles and decided on a handler 210 which I am waiting to receive soon in the mail. I have a couple questions about it because I am curious.

Is the wirefeed system considered push or pull or push and pull? Is the stock system with a different liner decent for aluminum?

I will be welding mainly 3/16 to 1/4 mild steel with occasional 3/8 mild steel. Sometimes I will need to weld steel to axles which I believe are a cast material. Someone mentioned using a high nickel content solid wire with gas to get better penetration. Is this true and when purchasing wire, how can I as a consumer tell that the wire has high nickel content?

For welding steel to steel what type of wire should I use? Is the high nickel content wire still okay?

From you experienced welders, which is more practical:
    a) welding dirty steel with a high mangenese & silicone content wire
    -OR-
    b) cleaning up steel before use and welding with a standard wire?

Thanks ahead of time and I hope I didn't break the ice with anything too stupid. I am trying to cover my bases and figure out what kind of accessories and consumables to purchase.

First off I am new to the forums. I am a newbie to welding but have done it with both arc and mig and have decided I wanted a gas machine. I work on jeeps and offroading vehicles and decided on a handler 210 which I am waiting to receive soon in the mail. I have a couple questions about it because I am curious.

Is the wirefeed system considered push or pull or push and pull? Is the stock system with a different liner decent for aluminum?

Your system is a push system, there may be a push/pull gun available, but I don’t know. As for the aluminum, you can do it with a different liner. There is also a spool gun you can get.

I will be welding mainly 3/16 to 1/4 mild steel with occasional 3/8 mild steel. Sometimes I will need to weld steel to axles which I believe are a cast material. Someone mentioned using a high nickel content solid wire with gas to get better penetration. Is this true and when purchasing wire, how can I as a consumer tell that the wire has high nickel content?

If you are welding the axles most of them are steel. It is the pumpkin that is cast. The nickel content will be indicated in the specs of the wire.

For welding steel to steel what type of wire should I use? Is the high nickel content wire still okay?

I would use L56 or the like. It is ER70S-6.

From you experienced welders, which is more practical:
    a) welding dirty steel with a high mangenese & silicone content wire
    -OR-
    b) cleaning up steel before use and welding with a standard wire?

Always clean the steel before you weld. A grinder with a wire brush is easy money. It doesn’t have to be mirror polished, just knock the rust and dirt off. If there is oil or grease, hit is with brake cleaner or torch it off if you can with out causing too much of a fire.

Thanks ahead of time and I hope I didn't break the ice with anything too stupid. I am trying to cover my bases and figure out what kind of accessories and consumables to purchase.

You can’t ask anything more stupid than I have ask on forums. Ask away. It is better for you and us.

Comment

Working...
    X