Hobart Handler 187 max thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart Handler 187 max thickness

Hey everyone, I was directed to this forum for info on hobart welders. I'm looking for something bigger for myself, I have been welding for about 2 years now on a miller 135 w/ flux core at work. Tried out a hobart 140 w/ gas at school and my friends MM210. Gas is sooo much nicer than flux.

After doing some reseach I have concluded that I am stuck between a HH187 and a HH210. The 210 is 200 more and that is where my problem is.

I plan on mainly doing automotive fab, offroading, and I want to start exo caging my truck. From what I'm reading, the 187 can do 5/16" w/ gas. Which is more than enough for normal fab work. Thing is, can I weld 3/8" with this thing if I switch over to flux core.

I will very rearly go above a 1/4" thickness and plan on always using gas. But if I do have to do something thicker can I throw in flux core wire and be able to do it?

I know that on the miller 135 at work w/ good prep and flux core I could safely weld 1/4". I actaully welded 1/4" spring perches to a 1/2" axle tube w/ 3 pass w/ this thing and they are on there real well.

Or would I be able to do mulitple passes w/ the 187 on gas and weld thicker material if neccesary?

Any help would be greatly appricated.

Thanks,

MIke.

I had the same problem ,but I finally went with the HH210 because I new I would be kicking my self for not getting the bigger one , the HH210 has never let me down ,and welds great ,as does the HH187,I made the mistake buying
    to small of a welder when I bought my last one , never again ! , Oh and welcome to the board there's a lot of good info on here ,Craig.
    Hobart Handler 210 mig , 80cf bottle of C-25 mix
    Bokrand GmbH pocket mig , 110v
    Clarke 101E stick , 110v
    Craftsman 10" drill press
    Craftsman 12" bandsaw
    HF 12 ton hydraulic press
    Black Max 6hp 60gal air compressor
    2 4 1/2" grinders
    Porter Cable 1410 ,cold cut chop saw
    Makita 14" ,abrasive chop saw
    50ft 8/3 extension cord
    Makita saw
    Arctic Cat generator with adapter cable for welder.
    Eastwood 135 mig 110v , 20cf bottle C-25 mix

Comment

Ya I know what you mean its killing me. But I still have to buy a tube bender/notcher/chop saw and a tank for this welder. So its hard to decide if its work the extra, I'm seeing if I can use flux as an alternative if I need to weld thicker.

MIke.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg1005 View Post
        Ya I know what you mean its killing me. But I still have to buy a tube bender/notcher/chop saw and a tank for this welder. So its hard to decide if its work the extra, I'm seeing if I can use flux as an alternative if I need to weld thicker.MIke.
        I understand what you're saying, but the money you'll save by buying the 187 will barely cover the cost of your cylinder and shieilding gas, let alone a tube bender, notcher and a chop saw. So if you're going to run fluxcore anyway, run fluxcore in the 210 and you're just about where you would have been money-wise, except you have a better machine.
        Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Zrexxer View Post
          I understand what you're saying, but the money you'll save by buying the 187 will barely cover the cost of your cylinder and shieilding gas, let alone a tube bender, notcher and a chop saw. So if you're going to run fluxcore anyway, run fluxcore in the 210 and you're just about where you would have been money-wise, except you have a better machine.
          Either I'm confused or you are haha.
          When you say cover the cost of a cyl and gas, I plan on buying this regardless if I purchase the 187 or the 210. I'm trying to figure out what people have welded thickenss wise when using fluxcore on a 187. I plan on using gas 99% of the time, but when I need to burn through thicker stuff, where will the max on the 187 be w/ flux core.

MIke.

Comment

Mike,

With the correct self shielded fluxcore wire the HH 187 will be able to weld 1/2" in multiple passes.
            MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
            Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

If you're already questioning whether the HH187 is powerful enough, buy the HH210.

Old saying: "You can't use amps you didn't buy".

Buying bigger only hurts once (buying). Buying too small hurts forever (using).
              SundownIII

Syncrowave 250DX, Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
              MM 251 w/30 A SG
              HH 187 Mig
              XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Pulser
              Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
              Hypertherm PM 1250 Plasma
              Victor, Harris, and Smith O/A
              PC Dry Cut Saw and (just added) Wilton (7x12) BS
              Mil Mod 6370-21 Metal Cut Saw
              More grinders than hands (Makita & Dewalt)
              Grizzly 6"x48" Belt Sander
              Access to full fab shop w/CNC Plasma & Waterjet
              Gas mixers (Smith(2) and Thermco)
              Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Comment

Tractor Supply has really lowered the price of the Handler 210. It may look like an option for you, now. Check out this link:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...&Special=false

Comment

Ya thats where I was looking and found the 187. Its 191 more for the 210.

I'm not per say questioning the power of the 187 just more so curious what its max would be.

MIke.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                    If you're already questioning whether the HH187 is powerful enough, buy the HH210.

Old saying: "You can't use amps you didn't buy".

Buying bigger only hurts once (buying). Buying too small hurts forever (using).
                    You forgot this one..."Better to HAVE and not need...than to NEED and not have."

Comment

I was in the same position. I really didnt want to spend the extra money. The 187 probably will do most of what I want to but you never now. I broke down and got the 210 and so glad I did. I hate wishing I would have paid a little more and got what I wanted instead of what I thought of needed.
                      Mike

HH210 & 3035 Spool Gun
                      HTP 221 Tig
                      Powermax 30 plasma
                      HF bandsaw
                      HF hood

Comment

Good choice. You can always turn the 210 down.....but the 187 can't go higher than max. Besides, it ALWAYS costs more to upgrade later than to get it right the first time.
                        Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dda52 View Post
                          Good choice. You can always turn the 210 down.....but the 187 can't go higher than max. Besides, it ALWAYS costs more to upgrade later than to get it right the first time.
                          That includes moving up into the 250 amp + migs. Nice to ditch the very expensive self-shielded wire and run Solid or Dual-Shield wire, that the 250 class allows.
                          Esab 2200 AC/DC
                          Thermal 211i
                          Thermal Pee-wee 85s
                          Smith O/A plus mini torch
                          Smith machine torch
                          LN-25 pro
                          LF-72 feeder
                          Edwards 65 ton
                          5X10 CNC table
                          Victor A-120
                          Miller Shopmate 300DX
                          S-74D feeder

Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Don't I know that one firsthand.
                            Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dda52 View Post
                              After running both units, I slightly prefer the HH187 over the HH 210 for 1/4" and thinner applications. The HH 210 is still a real nice unit too.

Switching from a MM 251 to an ESAB Migmaster 250 cost me some money. Considering both units are real good, I don't know if this move was considered an upgrade. Now if I was going from a MM 250 to the ESAB, it most definitely would have been an upgrade.
                              Last edited by Dan; 12-26-2008, 09:51 AM.
                              MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                              Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Working...
                              X