mig aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mig aluminum

I have a Ironman 210 set up for aluminum,100% argon, .030 alum wire and teflon liner and using .035 tips,,less drag on wire maybe??? Sometimes as soon as I pull the trigger,,snap...wire burn off, sometimes not. I do get the alum. hot enough to puddle,but the weld hardly ever looks like it's stacked,most of the time it likes like you just put down some puddy with your finger......Any help out there??????

Which wire?? Makes a difference sometimes. While 5356 pushes easier, it can be harder to weld with. 4043 is much easier to weld with. You might want to try .035 wire. I did that with one machine and all the trouble I had with .030 went away.
    Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Using 3035,,,.030. I'll gi ve that a try...Thanks for the input,,but I will take more ideas also......

Comment

Not familiar with your machine, (taps or not) try turning your voltage way down!
        Stickmate
        Spud wrench
        Bull prick
        BFH
        As FogHorn LegHorn says:
        “That’s a joke son!”

Comment

Crap,,,I just read my last reply,,,,,it's 4043 wire that I'm using.

Comment

new2tig, you might check to make sure your polarity is set right too electro positive. I have never feed aluminium thru the mig gun liner, but when I use my spoolgun I have to have more stick out, about 3/4 of a inch from the tip. Otherwise it will just burn back into the tip. When that happens the tip is usually ruined. Sometimes I can save one. Like Don said, the .035" 4043 seems to work the best in my spoolgun. It might just be slipping on the drive roller, you might have to get a knurled one to grip it better. Good luck, Steve
            Last edited by Steve W; 12-21-2008, 07:24 PM.
            Steve W

Millermatic 211i
            Hypertherm Powermax 380
            Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC arc welder
            Lincoln AC 225 arc welder
            Victor O/A torch setup
            Gentec O/A torch setup

Comment

Thanks guys,,I'll pickup some .035 tommorrow and try it and let you know..Thanks for the info...Mike

Comment

Insufficient wire feeding speed can be a problem too.

Comment

Here's one you guys will get a laugh at,,Sounds like I need to Spray Weld the aluminum,,,,other than the set up of argon,teflon liner and aluminum wire,what is the difference of spray and welding mild steel?? And is the Ironman 210 able to spray weld ?

Comment

Yes. Even HH 187 can spray aluminum (but not steel).

Comment

Still don't know the difference of Spray and reg. mig welding. Tonite I'm going to try,,.035 wire, tighten up my drive wheels, adjust my regulator to 25 to 30 and keep on playing with it..I'll let you know what happens...

Thanks for all the ideas...........Mike

Comment

Originally posted by new2tig View Post
                        Still don't know the difference of Spray and reg. mig welding.
                        It's really simple! For a regular welding you use a MIG gun. When you need to spray metal, you replace the gun with a garden hose.

Take a look at this:
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_met...transfer_modes

Comment

Tried again tonite with better luck. Increased presure on drive wheel,increased argon to 30 and lowered heat setting. Think along with too much heat, must have had some wire slipping. I'll figure out how to post a picture and let you guys tell me what else to work on....Thanks...Mike

P.S. MichaelP....when I sprayed the metal with a water hose,,,I got a whale of a shock!!!!!!ha

Comment

Working...
                          X