Pull or Push?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pull or Push?

I just read this in another post and decided to make a thread. When I was a mechanic, I spent plenty of time in the welding shop. Some work, some "personal projects" as we called them. The welders taught me to always go forward..push I guess, when mig welding, and pull when stick welding.

Is this still the primary rule or certain conditions call for different things? I've had good luck doing it this way since I learned to weld.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Second Location
    HF 220v gasless mig
    Hobart AC Stickmate
    80/B O/A

Pushing with MIG is a preference, not a rule. The only real rule is.."If it has slag..you must drag.(or pull)" So, stick, flux core, and dual shield should be pulled. Solid wire can be either. You will get much better penetration by pulling, but better bead/puddle control by pushing. Running aluminum MIG, you have to push. That allows the cleaning action of the arc to work ahead or you to avoid contamination issues. That is just a general overview of it. That help?
    Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dda52 View Post
      Pushing with MIG is a preference, not a rule. The only real rule is.."If it has slag..you must drag.(or pull)" So, stick, flux core, and dual shield should be pulled. Solid wire can be either. You will get much better penetration by pulling, but better bead/puddle control by pushing. Running aluminum MIG, you have to push. That allows the cleaning action of the arc to work ahead or you to avoid contamination issues. That is just a general overview of it. That help?
      Great answer!
      As Iron Sharpens Iron,
      So One Man Sharpens Another.

Proverbs 27:17

Comment

Hey Rob,
        Just want to add a few comments to Dons'(dda52) correct response. Personally, I use the "push" technique for all MIG(gas) welding except for inside corners where the "pull" method is necessary at times. The push technique allows a preheat & forward flow of gas & generally eliminates porosity issues. Also, I find I can maintain superb penetration by simply changing the gun angle to 90 deg., whereas normally you would maintain a 45-60deg. angle depending on material thickness. The general rule for most is to decrease gun angle as the material gets thinner so as to avoid burnthru. Another consideration to keep in memory is that as you decrease distance of tip to material(shorter stickout), you increase heat and vice versa. I try to encourage everyone to do as much practice as possible on scrap & simply experiment with your heat, w/f, & movement speed to obtain the optimum results. Denny
        Complete weld/mach./fab shop
        Mobile unit

"A man's word is his honor...without honor, there is nothing."

"Words are like bullets.... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back."

"I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the American Flag & the US Constitution."

Comment

Working...
        X