First bead with new 187... have a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First bead with new 187... have a question

I've never done any wire feed welding before. My only very little bit of experience is with stick. My question is about weld puddle. When stick welding, there is very clearly a melted puddle while welding. I just played around with some 1/8" steel and with the MIG I don't really see a puddle. Welds are ok and penetration looks good, but I don't see what used to see when stick welding. Are my settings off a bit or is MIG welding a different beast.
    Thanks,
    -john
    HH 187

Its slightly different but you can see it, you need to look for fusion at the root more and crank it up. On all these feeders I use settings for a thickness greater than the door charts. I want it hot so the machine does the real work for me.
    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

I haven't had a chance to play around with the settings. I did burn through easily, though, so I know I'm making good heat. Guess I just need to practice and learn what to look for. Thanks for the help.
      -john
      HH 187

Comment

Are you running fluxcore or solid?
        http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

I'm running flux core.
          HH 187

Comment

John,

Since you're running a self shielded fluxcore wire, if you haven't tried it yet, try welding with the nozzle removed from the gun. Use caution though, because the contact tip and tip adapter are electrically live once you pull the gun trigger- assuming the unit is powered up. Hobart has a protective insulated fluxcore nozzle available (P/N 770487) to replace the standard gas nozzle. If I remember correctly this nozzle only costs around $6.

Are you pulling the puddle?

You definitely should be able to see a puddle forming. Maybe you need to try a different shade of lens.
            MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
            Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Thanks Dan. I think I will try the flux core nozzle.

I'm using a #10 shade. I practiced more last night and I do now recognize the puddle, but it's definitely different than the stick welding I've done - not as 'bright' and obvious.

I'm pulling mostly. Tried pushing too, but it's definitely harder to see that way. I think my gun angle is too shallow too. Not sure if/how that affects arc and puddle, but I'll work on getting the angle a little higher.

-john
              HH 187

Comment

Working...
              X