HH140 with regulator guages and No flow gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH140 with regulator guages and No flow gauge

I'm new to welding. What PSI do I set the regulator contol at to patch my old truck fender with C25 and .023 solid wire?
    Don

Don't have a HH140 but I think my mig is set around 20 psi

Comment

Shielding gas is cheaper than grinding out for welds due to porosity. Set it on 20 and live large. Try to keep the breeze down if you are working outside.
      Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

I run between 20-30CFH

Comment

You can't set the flow correctly with a guage calibrated in PSI unless you can tell from experience how loud the "hiss" should sound.

Shielding gas is set by flow rate (cubic feet per hour), not pressure (pounds per square inch). Flowgauges are relatively inexpensive. I'd just buy one.

If that's out of the question, I'd start at 2 - 3 PSI and pull the trigger and listen. You should adjust the pressure untill you get a soft, audible hiss from the MIG gun. Then, weld on a coupon. If you see porosity (little holes everywhere), then turn it up and try again.

When you don't see any porosity, the flow rate is adequate.

Hank
          ...from the Gadget Garage
          MM 210 w/3035, BWE
          HH 210 w/DP 3035
          TA185TSW
          Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
          Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

Thanks for the ideas.

It's down in the teens in my garage to I won't try anything today. I'll just make a few calls to suppliers about the cost of a flow gauge. I hope learning to do MIG is as easy as I keep hearing. Years ago I took a shop class in arc and gas. It was fun but I thought it would require a lot of practice. I didn't have the money at the time to follow through.
            Don

Comment

Brain recalibrated

Thanks for all the help. Finally, I did see the markings on the gauge, looked right past them. Got another cold weekend coming, so will not get to practice any welding. Don
              Don

Comment

It may sound obvious, but I still want to add that if you decide to listen for the gas flow, please, first, make sure that the wire is not not going to be fed when you press the trigger. Either place the wire speed selector to "PURGE" or flip the wire pressure roller open.

Feeding wire into the ear will hardly help you enjoy the sound of the gas flow.

Comment

Originally posted by 54chevypickup View Post
                  Thanks for all the help. Finally, I did see the markings on the gauge, looked right past them. Got another cold weekend coming, so will not get to practice any welding. Don
                  Cold days are the BEST time to weld IMO. Sure beats the summers down here. Close the garage door, put on the coveralls and go. Of course if wifey won't let you have the garage...then nevermind.
                  Second Location
                  HF 220v gasless mig
                  Hobart AC Stickmate
                  80/B O/A

Comment

Working...
                  X